Mike's Car Building Thread

Not sure how many car guys/gals are on this site but I figured I'd post a build thread of my latest project (aside from all my other build threads..hehe).

My plans are to rip out the stock suspension and replace the front end with a Mustang II type suspension and trailing arms in the back. Air bags will be installed all around and an LS1/4L60 will replace the straight 6. I'm thinking of chopping the top a few inches but not quite sure if I want to blow all my cash on that.

IMG_1174.jpg

Changed the original thread topic from: Mike's 53 Chevy Build to Mike's Car Building Thread then continued with post #24.

We lost our #1 car guy but I will chime in. I like custom cars and especially 50's vintage Chevys. I like yours. What color are you thinking of? Have you ever thought of rebuilding a panel truck? That could make a hell of a sound van.

CrewC

I'm still tossing the paint colors around. Either way it is going to be two tone (roof different color then the rest of the car). Lately I've been thinking of a grey and blue combo or a champagne and something else. I'll be at the Pomona Swap meet next month to get some good ideas on color combos.

I really like how this guy did his 54.

Hi Michael,

Nice project you have there. I too am a car guy when time permits. Here are a couple of photos of my 1962 Nova. Its been a seven year project.

Ron Meyer

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/62civa/DSCN0590.jpg[/img]

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/62civa/re-assembly%205/Nova0310015.jpg[/img]

Nice 62! My dream car, and the one that got away, was a 66 Nova SS. I bought it for $3k back in 98' and took that thing apart to do a full frame off restoration. Unfortunately I got in a fight with my dad and had to leave the house. Since I couldn't keep the car at his place anymore I had to sell it. To this day I miss her and just hope whoever has her is treating her well. :'(

I prefer topless. I think mine will fit inside yours.

725076.jpg

I had a VW Dune Buggy like this my senior year in high school. It leaped through the air in its first 3 gears, it would snap you back in the seat. Then I'd shift into 4th gear and, mush. All I could do was 55 mph, top speed. Great fun for a year and a half.

CrewC

Here's my 1970 Mustang. Wish I never sold it but I did buy sound gear with the money (I know, crazy hey!!)

It had a blue printed and balanced 302 Windsor engine.

245 tyres on the front and 265 rear.

Doors were pillarless so a nice big open feel when both front and (small) rear windows were down.

The seat belts were a really cool harness type where the shoulder straps clipped into the lap sash. It was always great helping girls who couldn't figure out how to use the seat belt. haha!!

Massive bonnet. I pulled up next to a Mini Minor at a set of lights one day and my bonnet was almost as long as the whole Mini !!

I sold it to guy who lives in Bondi Beach (Sydney) and my uncle who lives there too, see's it around occassionally. I should buy it back!!!

The only downfall with old cars is the they are a money pit.

Good fun though and worth the looks and comments every where you drive, not to mention the chick magnet factor!!

Cheers

Mega

(sorry about the wierd photo's with borders, I had to scan actual photo's printed on paper into my computer)

post-1467-0-12119400-1333168510.jpg

post-1467-0-61123600-1333168522.jpg

post-1467-0-39039700-1333168530.jpg

• 7 months later...

So, I'm back on this project again. A few things have changed though. I sold the car in the first post and picked up a 53 Hard top instead. It's going to need a lot of TLC but its nothing I can't do. I'll be posting a few pics of the build soon for all the car guys/gals on here. =)

Lately, I've been working on another tiny car I picked up. It's a 69 Riley Elf that was imported from Great Britian. It's as small as the original mini cooper and a joy to drive. The steering is on the right hand side so EVERYONE gives me a funny look when I'm on the road.

It's hard to judge the size from the pic but its a little less then 5 feet wide and 10 feet long

IMG_1868-1.jpg

On the Chevy, I'd do a metallic scarab green or even metallic forest green on the body and gloss black on the roof. I like green...

Picking the right color is the hardest thing to do. I've been stuck on which color to paint my Riley Elf. Maybe I should photoshop it to test out some colors. Although I'm not particular to green that scarab green you mentioned is a nice color.

• 4 months later...

So a few things have changed lately. I sold the first car in my original post since it turned out to be a rust bucket and would have needed way too much patch work. The good thing is that I sold the car for $600 more then what I paid for it. I then found a 53 Bel Air hardtop in Arizona for $300 and decided to get it. Here are some pics. 

IMG_2358_zpsd1b65b5c.jpg

IMG_2359_zpse7f51415.jpg

IMG_2357_zps91c8cba7.jpg

Isn't she a beauty.

That's right fellas, she's all mine. =)

It was a nice day today so I ended up taking her top off and getting to work.

IMG_2360_zps6d96ec56.jpg

The first step was removing the old suspension and getting it ready for the newer technology (aka Mustang II type suspension). We all know having a good boom op/assistant by your side makes all the difference in the world. So, I made sure my #1 helper was there to get the project moving right along.

IMG_2388_zpsabfacd02.jpg

The new crossmember is mocked up and ready for a few tack welds. 

IMG_2390_zpsfc7f6de1.jpg

IMG_2391_zps4bbfd8b4.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm back at it again but I'm focusing on my 69 Riley first since I promised my little girl her car will be ready soon (she's only 5 so Dad gets to enjoy it for a while before passing it down). I have two other projects (54 Chevy Truck & 53 Bel Air Hard Top) that are waiting in line. Since the thread use to be called "Mike's 53 Chevy Build" I figured a new name would best so that I can include all my projects instead of starting multiple threads. 

First, I gotta say that I have a few quirks:

1. I love old cars

2. When I look at them I can't help but see a diamond in the rough. 

3. I can be a little OCD on my restorations.

With that said, I started tearing the 69 Riley apart a couple weeks ago. I could have just left it the way I bought it since it was getting me around town just fine. However, i noticed a little bit of chipped paint on the trunk and a few other places in which the paint was starting to crack. This drove me a bit crazy since I knew I was left well no other option but to do a frame up restoration. Well, that's how I justify it in my mind anyways. ;)

IMG_4160_zpsb795467a.jpg

I didn't have an engine hoist handy so I improvised by using my punching bag hanger and winch puller. Thankfully the engine and trans in this little car only weighs around 300 pounds.

IMG_4167_zpsfa6f55af.jpg

IMG_4168_zps9d3e4eba.jpg

No spot left undone! I took out the front and rear subframes so that I can build them with new components. 

IMG_4180_zpscdd7d6dd.jpg

IMG_4181_zpsd3e2be04.jpg

Almost ready for sandblasting. 

IMG_4183_zpsa05bf062.jpg

Since I took off my wheels I had to build a frame so that the body can be rolled around. 

IMG_4185_zpsd4a1e6ce.jpg

IMG_4186_zps75cd89db.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's another update. My 69 Riley is still with the sandblaster. They got extremely swamped with work and have had to put my specific request on the side to handle the City Job they landed. I get it, I'm just a small fry compared to a big contract. No problem, I just made sure they were adjusting their price to reflect the delay. Kinda worked out in my favor though because it freed up some space in my garage so I can jump back on the 54 Truck. 

I was toying with the idea of going either fuel injection or "old school" with its straight six. This was a hard decision because "old school" definitely has its charm while technology makes more sense in this day and age. So, I decided to push myself to do both on this truck. The goal is to make it look old school while taking advantage of recent car building tech. 

First thing I did was source a 5.3L fuel injected engine from a Chevy Tahoe. These engines, are known to be fuel efficient while producing respectable amounts of power. Their older brother is commonly known as the LS1.

The difference between the two is:

1. Only 30hp

2. LS1's block being lighter since it's made from aluminum,

3. The 5.3 costing $1000 less then the LS1. 

Here's an LS1 Engine

LS1-Engine-MuscleCarsofTexas.jpg

I was able to find a running motor from a guy on Craigslist. He said he's probably sold over 500 engines in the past 3 years. That's a lot for a guy and his Pap working outside of their garage. I can tell by his hand shake he was a standup guy so I handed over my money and they loaded it in my truck. =) 

IMG_0162_zpsrjgr03j0.jpg

With just a few minor mods the 5.3 can outperform a stock LS1. 

IMG_0181_zps0gnu40na.jpg