SD302+zoom h4n OR edirol r-44

pampasound

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H2 can be calibrated for SD tape output 0dBu = -20dBFs, H2n at minimum gain settings 0dBu = -15.5dBFs. I generally don't push my mixer that hard where it is an issue, except for the occasional uncontrolled over. If you need to use the limiters on the SD preamp, then you must use a padded line cable with the H2n (or padded DSLR output on the MixPre-D).

Where might such a cable be located easily? I'm not sure if a MixPre or MixPre-D have this feature, but the 302 has a workaround to this problem with the H2n - unlike the main outputs, you can't attenuate the tape out. However, if you're only recording to a H2n and not doing a double system gig, you can of course set the limiters 6 or 7 dB lower so it won't overload the Zoom.

Where might such a cable be located easily? I'm not sure if a MixPre or MixPre-D have this feature, but the 302 has a workaround to this problem with the H2n - unlike the main outputs, you can't attenuate the tape out. However, if you're only recording to a H2n and not doing a double system gig, you can of course set the limiters 6 or 7 dB lower so it won't overload the Zoom.

I remember markertek selling such cables, Sescom I believe. It may be better to have one custom made, though, with the specific value of pad you need, rather than over-padding and then having to gain back up.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

I know it has been a while but i thought that since i finally got my SD302 i would share with you.

I am really happy with it and with the H4n (for now) seems to be a decent starter kit for the kind of gigs i will be getting...i also got my 2 sets of G2s that i will be using for an upcoming project...

I noticed Max shared his setup for SD302/H4n...any one else out there want to share their setup for this combo?

Thanks,

juan.

To clear up the Zoom line-level thing:

-If you connect with XLR, it's mic level only

-If you connect with 1/4", it's line level but NOT +dbU, but a line level for keyboards etc.

So I would think the solution stated above, with XLR-1"4 cable and the 302 outputs attenuated -16 dB (I attenuate -18) is the best solution noise-wise.

+1

1/4 worked best for me.

Zoom h4N is great and does the job...It's just when you get into jobs where TC becomes relevant, or you want to be able to name tracks it leads you to needing something else. Spent my first year using it though.

Little trick: even when doing END and using a breakaway into a camera, you can use the tape-out to still run into the Zoom and record a backup for yourself.

not sure if you can see, but i was lazy and just put my Zoom face down in the accessories pocket.I'm sure there are much better work flows.

25zic01.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

First time post.

I've been using an R-4 Pro for a while (I think the 44 is the same design?), and I've realized I definitely need a preamp. Just want the OP to know if he's considering it. The levels knob on the front doesn't seem to prevent clipping. The sensitivity (I guess that's the same as trim?) knob does, but Roland's designed it with clicking (I think something like 11db per click). It's similar to f-stops on still camera lenses. In fact, I'm not really sure what the "levels" knob does.

It's odd because back in film school when I used the original R-4 there was only one knob and seemed to work alright. And now, on the R-4 Pro, whenever things start to clip I'm forced to click down in levels instead of a smoother method. Seems like an odd design choice to me, but I guess Roland expects me to use some kind of preamp. Better save up for that 442....

You cooould also bring the sensitivity knob all the way to 9 o'clock and bring the levels knob to 3 o'clock. In the manual, though, it suggests that you don't (leaving the levels knob at 12 o'clock, aka "unity). So I dunno what you want to do with that.

-

Sawrab

I'd go with the 302 and an H2n, your going to use the tape output on the unit anyways, so stereo mini to mini would be just fine on the recorder. I purchased the accessory kit that includes an awesome wired remote control, so keep the H2N tucked away. The H4N has such a remote too, but it has extra buttons that you don't need or in fact could be bad if you accidentally pressed them, like input selections.

Used H2N with SHURE FP-32 Tom.

2012-08-05T00-52-02_0.jpg