Hello everyone. I have a shoot coming up with dual FS100's and I'm stumped on TC for this camera after reading through the manual and searching online as well as this forum. I hope you might be able to assist me.

I've been asked to provide TC for the shoot. The issues I run into are as follows:

• The only TC I/O I can find is that TC can be dumped out from this camera via HDMI. I see no connections for accepting any incoming TC, and the manual does not state that TC can be jammed to the camera so far as I can tell.
  • So, assuming I have read the manual correctly, the camera must function as the master TC generator, since TC only flows one direction: out. If that is correct, how could I ever jam two of these cameras?
  • The options for TC are as follows: REC RUN & FREE RUN, but with no options to jam TC, and the only output of TC being HDMI...

It's definitely a scenario in which I believe I have either missed something really simple, and I will be very happy to be corrected and can then move on happily with the shoot, or this is going to involve an education for both myself and the DP/production on the TC capabilities of this specific camera.

To be clear, here are the following items I have found from the manual relating to TC. I have tried to be thorough, so that anyone who attempts to assist me doesn't have to then do research I should have first done myself:

• Pgs. 35 - 37 'Audio Setup':

• Skipped; no audio to either cam for this shoot.
    • [*]Pg. 44 'Setting Time Data':

• "The camcorder records movies accompanied by time data, such as time code and user bit."
      • 'Presetting Time Code':

[*]'To Reset the Time Code':

• This option resets TC to 00:00:00:00.

[*]Pg. 72 'Notes':

• This section gives menu options to set time code between 00:00:00:00 and 23:59:59:24.
      • I see no option or information on how to accept any incoming TC here.

• "Time code does not advance while recording the color bars."

[*]Pg. 74 'HDMI TC OUT'

• 'Off':

• "Does not carry the time code on the HDMI signal."
    • [*]'On':

• ​"Carries the time code on the HDMI signal. The camcorder transmits the time code as digital data, not as a video signal to be displayed on the screen. The connected device can read the time code by referring to the data."

[*]Pg. 79 'TC/UB SET':

• Gives options to set REC RUN or FREE RUN, but no options to accept incoming TC. Gives options to reset or set preset based on Pg. 44 info already listed above.

[*]Pg. 93 'Troubleshooting':

• The time code is not recorded in sequence: The TC may not be recorded sequentially if you change the settings of HD/SD SET and HD REC FORMAT.

That's it. That's everything in the manual I could find on TC. So if anyone has any information on how to do this, please submit. I have a hunch the answer might be that this device was not designed to accept incoming TC and that it should be treated like a film shoot, but again, I'm looking forward to your answers.

Oh, and lastly, I had intended to use a Denecke TS-3, SD 552 and 744t bag setup. Just so you know what connections I'd be dealing with.

Thanks!

8)

" I've been asked to provide TC for the shoot "

I would interpret that as "sound" bringing professional, appropriate SMPTE equipment, and asking the camera dept (it is their toy!) what they need (TC slate, SB/Locit, etc. and etc.) from sound...

" the camera must function as the master TC generator, "

you did not select the cameras, they are not your toys...

I guess you need to ask them what you need to accept SMPTE TC from them (connectors, accessories, etc.)

...or of course the good old reliable TC slate...

I own an FS100 and there is no way to send it TC. You can only output TC via HDMI. The catch is you'll need a TC recorder that is specifically compatible with Sony and accepting TC via HDMI with markers. I know Sound Devices Pix240 is compatible, but it's a video (and audio) recorder first. I am unaware of an audio only recorder that accepts TC and compatible with HDMI TC markers.

Does this make sense?

Damen

I own an FS100 and there is no way to send it TC. You can only output TC via HDMI. The catch is you'll need a TC recorder that is specifically compatible with Sony and accepting TC via HDMI with markers. I know Sound Devices Pix240 is compatible, but it's a video (and audio) recorder first. I unaware of an audio only recorder that accepts TC and compatible with HDMI TC markers.

Does this make sense?

Damen

It does, and that is what I was thinking was the case after reading the manual. Thank you so much for this. It's a big help to hear from an actual owner of the camera.

Does it have to be SMPTE time code to be time code?

No, it doesn't. Time code could be an elf that sits atop the camera and calls out numbers like a bingo parlour -- or any other method that a manufacturer decides to come up with.

However, SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) and EBU (European Broadcast Union) time code are the standards the industry normally uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE/EBU

Unless, of course, one gets an especially good rate on an elf.

This won't help you with jamming the cameras to each other, but some Sony cameras spit timecode out of the LANC port. I bought a little box years ago, prior to the DSLR rage, for my typical indie productions at the time. I think it was called the Fisher Robotics Timetool or something to that effect. Sounds like this is a job for a timecode slate to me, but if you were dedicated to being able to get timecode from one of the cameras, this might be an option. Don't get your hopes up too high, though, as apparently the FS100's LANC port works differently when it comes to transport remote, could be an odd duck with timecode too. Sorry, second hand smoke...

No, it doesn't. Time code could be an elf that sits atop the camera and calls out numbers like a bingo parlour -- or any other method that a manufacturer decides to come up with.

Unless, of course, one gets an especially good rate on an elf.

If the elf runs on tuna sandwiches, I'm getting one.

R

So you're not actually answering the question, "Does it have to be SMPTE time code to be time code?"

Why not?

Actually, we did answer it. The answer is "NO," it doesn't have to be SMPTE time code to be time code.

Forgive me for repeating myself, "Time code could be an elf that sits atop the camera and calls out numbers like a bingo parlour -- or any other method that a manufacturer decides to come up with."

So, that clearly says, the answer to your question is "NO."

A lot of the "why not?" is contained in the Wikipedia article.

If it's overtaxing to read the reference I supplied, the short answer is that time code is a generic term for measuring, well, truthfully, whatever you want it to measure, whereas, SMPTE time code is a specific set of specifications that the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers came up with for our industry to accurately delineate film and video frames and their timing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE/EBU

Here's another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_code

Homework time.

Is it entirely unfeasible for it to be simple LTC fed over an audio channel of the HDMI connection as opposed to being available on BNC?

Or maybe it's some sony VITC-ish type...

Yes, it's feasible. What you've mentioned is just the manner of carrying or delivering the time code, but it doesn't address what type of time code is being carried or delivered. With files, OTOH, it's just carried as a stamp at the beginning of the file that delineates samples past midnight which then relies on the host's microprocessor to compute the actual values.

" Does it have to be SMPTE time code to be time code? "

What my CPF John said. Exactly... word for word...

do I need to quote it for you ?? :blink:

So, given that Mr Monkey's original question did not concern SMPTE time code but the time code used in a Sony FS100, your reply was essentially pedantic and meaningless. N'est-ce pas?