An indoor shotgun for outdoor use? (aka "My First Shotgun")

Nima

Hmmm, I have a Baby Ball Gag on my MKH 50 now and it still seems very sensitive to wind noise unless the Windjammer is on there as well. I have read about people putting tape over the setting switches on the side as they claim air gets in there. Do you do that? Ive just contacted Redding Audio about purchasing the Rycote Windshield Kit 2 Windjammer and Center blimp piece with the plan to make the Windshield Kit 4 I already own and use for my MKH-416 pull double duty as a full kit for my MKH 50. Means Ill have to return the 25mm Baby Ball Gag I just bought for the MKH 50 and that the whole rig would be heavier with the full kit, but if it cuts down the wind noise better itll be worth it when using where ever there is a draft or breeze.

I have the System 2, which works great. I read here quite a lot that the BBG works well too, but I do not own one. Perhaps it's not as good as some have described. I use a Softie for light winds and System 2 for everything else. Well worth the extra money and weight and size, IMO.

Robert

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to throw a plug in for the Sanken CS3e. It's a good overall mic. I've been booming with them almost exclusively for the last year and a half. Sounds crisp indoors, lots of rejection for outdoors, and plenty of pull for wide shots. It can be a little finicky in small and/or echoey spaces, but I think, overall, it is a good all-in-one choice.

The mic is not without it's flaws, but what mic is. All do some things well, but not all things. I second going to a rental house and trying them out. It's the best way to see what sounds best to your ears.

Good luck.

Phil

IMHO and (limited) experience I think it might be a good idea to get two mics that will fit on the same boom pole and possibly use the same zeppelin. my first shotgun was/is a Neumann KMR 82i. i fell in love with the sound of that mic on a shoot in India so it became my first choice when i was ready to buy a shotgun. its a long mic though and tricky to use indoors so i bought a little wind kit for my Rode NT3 (not NTG3) which is a tight cardiod mic. retails for around $275 and sounds great indoors. nothing special but it works and with a nice little shock mount plus the wind kit it has done wonders for me.

Thanks once again for all the great advice.

Yep, I have the MKH8050 and the 8040 and an internally coiled Loon boom pole. If you're doing quick movements or at long extension, you'll pick up the cable slap, and it imparts low freq. noise into the mic too.

Yeah, you're probably right, I'll stay away from the internally coiled ones. It's just so much cleaner, but I guess I'll go with some ambient accessories eventually instead. Thanks!

Just wanted to throw a plug in for the Sanken CS3e. It's a good overall mic. I've been booming with them almost exclusively for the last year and a half. Sounds crisp indoors, lots of rejection for outdoors, and plenty of pull for wide shots. It can be a little finicky in small and/or echoey spaces, but I think, overall, it is a good all-in-one choice.

The mic is not without it's flaws, but what mic is. All do some things well, but not all things. I second going to a rental house and trying them out. It's the best way to see what sounds best to your ears.

Good luck.

Phil

Thanks, Phil! How do you find them in terms of picking up reflections though? I might have to rent both for a day. Although, I don't think 8050 is available for rent here in Toronto.

" Eventually, I'll also buy a soundbag, as opposed to renting one every time. "

nags aren't that expensive, but they are personal.... buy your own

Well, it adds up. The petrol-bag I'm eyeing (614) is almost 300 bucks with taxes here in Canada. Add a harness as well and we're up at almost 500 bucks.

And basically all I have right now is a Zoom H4n and a MixPre...

Don't automatically rule out an internally-cabled pole. If you're doing bag work, cable wrangling can be a big deal in fast turnaround situations. Having an internally-cabled pole can really help in those circumstances. Along with a headphone cable and wrangling a breakaway to a camera, managing a bunch of extra cable going to a boom pole while you're dashing from place to place can become a real hassle.

Rent both, do a job with each, and see which works best for you.

As Spencer and Justin mentioned, you definitely want to be aware of the sounds an internal cable makes. However, with good booming techniques it doesn't need to be an issue. This (along with headphone selection and many other things) is definitely a personal preference thing, so you need to have firsthand knowledge to make the proper choice.

The point isn't whether you should, or shouldn't, use an internally-cabled pole, the point is to be aware of the differences and choose what works best for you.

The Sennheiser 8000 series is a capsule system like the Schoeps CMC / MK system is. The mic is made up of two parts, the power supply and the microphone capsule. Once you buy the power supply you can then buy different heads with different pick up patterns. What he was stating was that once you have the 8050, you need only buy the capsule to make the mic an 8060. Though they dont come cheap, it is an option just like the Schoeps system.

Actually, this is only almost true. In the standard configuration, the top part (the head) is in fact the complete mic and the bottom part just an XLR module. You can put a filter module in between, connect the head directly to a remote cable, or use a AES42 digital module instead of the analog XLR one, but the head is not just a capsule. Of course, it's still true that the 8000 series is modular, so any head can be used with any accessory.

I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote that. If you've got a boom op or you're not chasing someone down the street (the type of job I had just got off when typing that), you'll probably be calm enough to avoid the slap. In those situations, I love the internal cable, and it does make collapsing the pole a lot faster, provided the internal cable isn't twisted and tangled of course. My pole is probably a bit too long for a cable, I'm more used to seeing them in short ENG type poles.

Actually, this is only almost true. In the standard configuration, the top part (the head) is in fact the complete mic and the bottom part just an XLR module. You can put a filter module in between, connect the head directly to a remote cable, or use a AES42 digital module instead of the analog XLR one, but the head is not just a capsule. Of course, it's still true that the 8000 series is modular, so any head can be used with any accessory.

Really? So the 8000 module is not a power supply? Its just an XLR adapter?

" I don't think 8050 is available for rent here in Toronto."

one of our most usual suspects is located there...this would be a variation of <cap>

" the head is not just a capsule. " + " Its just an XLR adapter "

yes, but that is an oversimplification, and it pretty much works out the same, in practice.

" I don't think 8050 is available for rent here in Toronto."

one of our most usual suspects is located there...this would be a variation of <cap>

" the head is not just a capsule. " + " Its just an XLR adapter "

yes, but that is an oversimplification, and it pretty much works out the same, in practice.

Oh. Huh. I guess I was a bit confused about it because of B&H's description: LINK

Couldnt find anything on it from Sennheiser.

Note that the Pro-Sound link omits a few important shotgun mikes, like the (huge) Sennheiser MKH816, and the fairly-new Sanken CS-2. Also omitted is the very expensive Schoeps Super-CMIT, which has been discussed a few times here.

I love my 815, what a mic! But I think that list is pretty old, and part of PSS's old website. Probably made after the 816 P48 was discontinued and before the Sanken.

So I contacted my dealer about buying the MKH8050, and in response I'm told I should buy the 8060. I was told slight modifications to the 8050 won't allow them to be used on the same module interchangeably. I was advised to instead by the 8060 as it fixes some minor problems that were occurring in the 8050's.

I'm really confused. I have no idea how the 8060 would sound indoors.

But to make me even more confused I'm now also considering the Gefell M210.

I'll keep you all updated once I've made my final choice. And thanks all for the great discussion!

Don't automatically rule out an internally-cabled pole. If you're doing bag work, cable wrangling can be a big deal in fast turnaround situations. Having an internally-cabled pole can really help in those circumstances. Along with a headphone cable and wrangling a breakaway to a camera, managing a bunch of extra cable going to a boom pole while you're dashing from place to place can become a real hassle. Rent both, do a job with each, and see which works best for you. As Spencer and Justin mentioned, you definitely want to be aware of the sounds an internal cable makes. However, with good booming techniques it doesn't need to be an issue. This (along with headphone selection and many other things) is definitely a personal preference thing, so you need to have firsthand knowledge to make the proper choice. The point isn't whether you should, or shouldn't, use an internally-cabled pole, the point is to be aware of the differences and choose what works best for you.

Thanks a lot for that! I'll make sure to test the boom thoroughly before making a purchase. Cheers!

Thanks a lot for that! I'll make sure to test the boom thoroughly before making a purchase. Cheers!

This part is key. It is simply impossible in my opinion to judge a microphone based off of specifications. You simply have to hear it and let your ears decide. Some cheap microphones boast specifications similar to, or even the same as expensive microphones, and yet I promise you they aren't in the same league most of the time. There are exceptions, but usually...

Buy once, cry once.

ext cables are pretty noisy when handled in a wrong way. for example: they dont like to be strained too much just as well as being too loose. in first case you might have noise issues when cable tears against boom pole when you (unintentionally) increase decrease pressure. in the later case you'll just have it banging against the pole. and with very sensitive mic's you gotta have some good shockmount, or a very soft grip, because cable can pick noise from your hand(or finger). there are some other specific issues you'll come across while working with 'em.

+ what John Blankenship said about extra cable wrangling In fast-paced environment.

cant say much about int cabled poles. have very limited experience with them, but I guess their techniques are neither easier nor harder to learn...just different.

• 2 weeks later...

So I contacted my dealer about buying the MKH8050, and in response I'm told I should buy the 8060. I was told slight modifications to the 8050 won't allow them to be used on the same module interchangeably. I was advised to instead by the 8060 as it fixes some minor problems that were occurring in the 8050's.

This doesn't seem right to me: the whole point of the Sennheiser 80x0 system is that all bodies and adaptors are interchangeable. I'd question this directly with Sennheiser as it smells strongly of BS. The MKH8050 and the 8060 are two different species: the 8060 uses an interference tube for increased directional behaviour (or 'reach' if you like) and the 8050 has hypercardioid pattern, so is good for closer 'tight' micing. Saying that one fixes minor problems found in the other (what are these problems?) makes no sense to me at all.

John

" I'm told I should buy the 8060. I was told slight modifications to the 8050 won't allow them to be used on the same module interchangeably. "

perhaps you misunderstood something, but also perhaps you should try another dealer, maybe one who specializes in production sound, and has sales folks not on commission...

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to thank you all for your wonderful insight. I ended up buying the MKH-50 (I've already gotten to use it as a rental, so I already knew that I like its sound). It performed very well on its first day out on a shoot, and I'm a much happier man, albeit much poorer too. :)

The reason why I bought it was because reading up on the abovementioned mics made it clear to me that I should either pick an MKH-50, CMC641, or risk handling noise with the 8000-series kits. And with the MKH-50 sounding as good as it does, it was hard to justify paying for a CMC641 at this point.