PRODUCTION SOUND FOR FILMS-US AND EUROPE

soundwiz

Hi all,

i am a newbie to this group and let me start of by saying that i have found an  excellent group of profeesionals

i have been a sound mixer for some time for ENG/DOCS /TELEVISON and have since moved on to working in features

my questions are-

what amount of ADR( as percantage of production sound) is done in a typical big budget hollwood  commercial film or average hollywood film,even indie films for thatmatter, do they vary,in terms of using poduction sound

i woild like to have examples of big budget hollywood flms that have used extensive ADR an how they matched it with the production sound also similar ones using extensive production sound(done in difficult situations)

i have watched a lot of french films and found the sound excellent(HATS OFF GENTLEMEN),how much ADR is done for a typical film(if required)

where on the net(sites,urls) i can read about production sound for films

would liket o know from senior production mixers how they start of for working on the production sound of a film?,

what all points are to be noted?

thanks in advance forall help

harry

It is very difficult to determine, certainly while watching a finished movie, how much of the dialog has been replaced. There are some movies where it is obvious if one has a general knowledge of how production sound is recorded --- these examples would be movies that have in intensive amount of CGI or mechanical effects and the methods used while shooting make production sound impossible. There is no general average that applies to all films but I can say that the widespread belief that ALL the dialog is ALWAYS done later is not true. Most films have, if I were to make an estimate, about 70% production dialog on average. Many films have little or no ADR, some are completely replaced, not a single word of production sound. It really depends on a lot of factors with the experience and competence of the production sound team being one of the less significant factors usually. If the project is a dialog intensive movie with a director who is really motivated to get all useable production sound, there is no reason that the production cannot go forward and be completed using all the production sound.

You have asked a lot of questions and I cannot answer all of them, but hopefully this gives some idea concerning ADR and production sound in movies.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler