Rycote Overcovers Undercovers

justanross

I'm not sure what you mean, but different situations call for different rigs. Sometimes the overcovers work really well, sometimes I use other methods. YMMV.

Well, I don't see why undercovers would be your first mount if you don't have good results with them. Did you mean to say that Overcovers are your first mount?

I've used overcovers UNDER clothing to help deal with chest hair. i put the COS-11 in a hush lav and then stuck the overcover fuzzy onto that with the fuzz facing the chest. Tape/moleskin the whole shebang inside the shirt, center of chest. It's a bulky rig, but if the clothing is right (layered shirts/v-necks, etc) - no noise.

AZW, I'm not clear on your taping:

To be sure I understand you, you put the overcover fuzzy onto the (long) side of the hushlav, fuzz facing chest, then tape all of that to the inside of the shirt? Do you tape the hushlav to the shirt, then topstick, then the fuzzy against the topstick? How do you tape it all to the shirt without mashing the fuzz?

Thanks.

John

Echoing many others here, I remain skeptical and do not reach for undercovers often. Overcovers, on the other hand, are great for wind killing.

A cos-11 in a vampire clip, with a pop filter and and overcover wrapped by a thin strip of moleskin works well for high wind..... And if you are gentle with it, its reusable without rebuilding.

Cool. Very helpful. Thanks. That thin strip of moleskin is wrapped around the barrell of the cos-11, to hold the overcover onto the pop filter?

John

• 2 weeks later...

Another massive WIN for Overcovers under clothing! I just lav'd two people doing intense physical workouts all day and the Overcover silenced the male lead's chest hair completely. All day I was just blown away by how quiet the mount was (adhesive/mic sandwich to cotton shirt, Overcover facing chest).

Ordering more stickies for these soon so I never run out. Topstick in an emergency, but I like the ones they provide, albeit a tad small.

WIN.

P.S. I think John B. was the one who posted about Overcovers being great for chest hair, or at least that's where I first read it was in one of his posts a while ago. Thanks John, it is now my standard MO with chest hair, and the guys absolutely love that I'm not snatching hair out of their chest at the end of the day.

Another massive WIN for Overcovers under clothing! I just lav'd two people doing intense physical workouts all day and the Overcover silenced the male lead's chest hair completely. All day I was just blown away by how quiet the mount was (adhesive/mic sandwich to cotton shirt, Overcover facing chest).

Ordering more stickies for these soon so I never run out. Topstick in an emergency, but I like the ones they provide, albeit a tad small.

WIN.

P.S. I think John B. was the one who posted about Overcovers being great for chest hair, or at least that's where I first read it was in one of his posts a while ago. Thanks John, it is now my standard MO with chest hair, and the guys absolutely love that I'm not snatching hair out of their chest at the end of the day.

Gotta get myself some overcovers, me thinks....

• 3 months later...

+1 to the vampire clips. As well as the RM11 mounts which I usually use with topstick.

Do you place the lav in the RM11 and place the topstick on the skin and RM11? Or do you even go further and loop the topstick around the RM11 and use one side of the topstick to hold the shirt to the front of the RM11? I could see both working...I haven't tried this, and perhaps the shirt stuck to the RM11 creates visibility. If I owned any wireless I'd post asking with a picture.

I bought a couple of packs of Stick It Dots, and the are indeed very, very sticky. They hold things to other things quite well.

My problem with them though, was that the paper backing on them would actually peel apart and a thin layer of backing would usually stay attached to the dot and ruin it.

I hope it was just a bad batch because I would use them a lot if they didn't have this problem. I never pursued an answer though.

Anybody ever had this problem with the Stick It's?

The Overcovers are reusable, so that helps with the cost. I use more black than anything, and after speaking with Rycote about the expense of buying a whole set of Overcovers just to get two black ones, they now offer them in separate sets of six of each individual color.

I saw recently where Rycote now sells the Undercovers and the Overcovers in packages of 100 for about $38 each. I agree, the black ones are very useful, but I have run into thin white T-shirts that demanded the white ones (and white lavs, when I have them available).

It very much is a black art, and I agree with previous comments that what will work for one kind of costume won't necessarily work for another. I just had a situation the other day where 5 out of 6 actors sounded flawless on lav; the sixth was a constant problem -- I suspect because he had a $300 custom-fitted shirt that was starched. A microphone encased in concrete and silly putty still would've picked up noise.