RastOrder Sound Cart

Eric Burge

Another happy customer...for years to come.

I was wanting to move to a good upright cart design for quite some time, but nothing readily available impressed me enough in terms of future adaptability and general versatility to warrant kicking down the cash. Then Rob Stalder and I began discussing a custom-built SU cart designed around an 01V96. We swapped emails for some months and I must say that I am glad we spent the time to sort through the various details. I received the cart just last week. The over/under modular construction allows me to easily break it in 1/2 to load into my pickup truck (with fiberglass shell attached) or SUV, etc. while all gear is maintained in full upright position rather than requiring serious mounting hardware for lay-down transport.

Rob went the distance and did an outstanding job with the design and construction. It's rugged and versatile, yet clean and elegant. This guy strives for quality. He even threw in a mountain bike pump and patch kit! Now that is rare service.

Anybody curious for details feel welcome to contact me OG or search RastOrder in RAMPS for related discussions.

More info at http://www.rastorder.com.au/

EB

Please post some pictures of your new cart when you get the chance.  Thanks.

PWP

Happy to post pics Phil, but I'm presently scrambling with prep for the next month in Alaska. This should prove to be a fun and memorable shoot if not without its brutal moments. We'll see...

Got DEET?

I'll make a point to post some pics after I return in early fall.

FWIW, I was beyond impressed with Rob's personal care and artful ability to actualize my own vision of what I wanted yet couldn't easily describe over the phone or in emails. To get er done right, he modified his welding jigs, worked out new dimensions with precision, fabricated a bomber, fully-sliding mixer shelf (custom-sized for 01V), etc.

He did all of this on his own between location sound jobs and he never asked for a dime until he was ready to send the whole thing off to the painter for powder coating. After painting, he reassembled it (not insignificant) for his own final inspection and to send me photos, then disassembled it again to pack and ship.

The entire project cost me AU2000 (+ wire transfer fees) from initial concept to my front door (Priority FedEx was AU400). I am still feeling a bit guilty to tell the truth. Even though I'm not rolling in green, I can appreciate the time, effort, and materials involved on his end.

The fact that I had creative influence in many critical dimension/design aspects makes it a personal treasure. Serial number for this particular "SU Cart" is #11, the 1st designed specifically for an 01V, which seems to have become a very popular production mixer over the last few years.

IMHO, this cart is worth far more than I paid for it. I would have spent a lot more just prototyping my own ideas in a well furnished machine shop, which I do have access to.

In retrospect, I sort of blew it by not taking photos of the packing job alone. Everything tightly nested, shrink-wrapped, expandable foam protected, etc. I've NEVER seen anything quite like it.

Only too bad I can't frame the cart to hang on a wall. :)

Highly recommended. A+++

EB

No, Thank YOU Jeff...for your continued efforts and for inviting us all to hang out on your front porch.

Wish me luck...

This upcoming job sounds like much vertical glacier ice + 1st decent down some unknown river, choked with beetle-kill spruce and hungry brown bears no doubt.

Bids for my cart will be handled by Mr. Stalder if this is my Rast post. Proceeds go to RastOrder Anonymous, a support fund to be established for the growing collective of savvy mixers, all stricken with terminal guilt after realizing the exceptional value Rob offers to quell their addiction...for the short term anyway. I think he could, like most long-sighted pushers, be simply seeding the loud mouths amongst us (can only speak for myself) until the demand warrants selling his carts by the gram.  Be warned! :P

EB