Any news from the sound devices other then new Pix?

RadoStefanov

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No BWF only for these recorders. I already asked them as I was considering having it as both video monitor and backup recorder for a cart.

I believe you are incorrect. Paul Issacs the technical product manager for Sound Devices told me at NAB that the Pix260 will be able to record BWF only files. And there was this recent response on the SD Pix forum from Matt Mayer:

:

"We are discussing how to make it possible to record audio only on the PIX 220 and 240. It should be available on the PIX 260 when it ships.

Matt Mayer

Applications Engineer

Sound Devices, LLC

I read all the stuff on the SD website twice, and didn't see anything about a BWF-only mode, but if that's what they told you, I'm sure it could work. My concerns would be the lack of metadata capability and hard drive noise. What's the retail price on the PIX systems?

Marc,

There is no hard drive noise since you are using SSD drives. I suppose you could use a Spinning Notebook 2.5" Hard drive if the unit is rack mounted, however the chance of error because of bumps or vibration would be much greater. There is a Fan in the PIX220 and 240 but it is slow speed and very very quiet. I have a Pix 240 and I can't even tell it is on without looking at the screen. Lets just say that it is far quieter than any recorder that uses a DVD drive for recording.

Courtney: well then, that's good news!

I asked in february and the support dept.'s answer was that both video and audio files were embedded in a format that wouldn't permit that.

I wrote again in may following NAB, same person answered about my questions regarding employing least space possible with video files then and the possibility of triggering REC-STOP with a 788 and there didn't seem to be an ''audio only'' option either with the 260 (and rec-stop would be possible in rec-run but not in free-run; makes sense).

You got a good source about that (tech. prod.mgr., ''live from the NAB'') so cheers, that's good to hear they're looking at this option. Probably following a few mails asking the same I guess... maybe something they didn't figure out was going to be asked for when they launched these products... :D

I guess I could be ok with recording 2 video streams along with MT audio x 8, but there would have to be some ground rules made about who deals with the cabling from the cameras, who supplies all that cable, and whether or not we are asked to become the VTR dept now as well, feeding monitors, doing playbacks from this recorder etc.. (Not thrilled with all that.) In another scenario I would not be happy about sending 8 iso feeds to this thing sitting on someone else's cart, esp since the monitoring is a bit limited. It will be interesting to see what SD does about BWF recording, since as a cart-recorder this could take the place of a 788 if one was not using a CL9, at a lower price point.

phil p

I'm thinking in the long run that this "evolution" of recording files, could be the end of not just slates, but maybe also Timecode boxes! Think about it;

The camera now just acts like a slave for the video recorders sitting several feet away from the camera body. The camera records its data onto its media, and the PIX-like devices record the image stream, encodes it, and embeds all the necessary metadata, timecode and audio, sending that back to the camera. So that camera raw files and PIX-files are identical, just that the PIX-material isn't RAW.

Or maybe even further down the timeline of camera development, we could see an outboard recorder and the camera being just the lens, with the possibility to record on board (with superior audio inputs!!! :D)

Impossible?

(After-thought: I guess I just described an online TV-broadcast workflow...)

I'd be interested to know what happens to the embedded audio when a vision cable plays up intermittently or is accidentally unplugged for example.

A large show I work on uses EVS as vision recorders. The audio is embedded with the vision. When a vision cable played up or failed altogether, we experienced a "glitch" on the audio tracks at the moment the vision played up. (we had back ups in place so no worries).

Will this be the case with PIX260?

I'd be interested to know what happens to the embedded audio when a vision cable plays up intermittently or is accidentally unplugged for example.

A large show I work on uses EVS as vision recorders. The audio is embedded with the vision. When a vision cable played up or failed altogether, we experienced a "glitch" on the audio tracks at the moment the vision played up. (we had back ups in place so no worries).

Will this be the case with PIX260?

Good question Peter. Since the Pix260 can generate Tri Level Sync or Genlock to external sync I would hope that if the SDI Video input drops out the audio would continue to record and the video signal would fall back to internal generated black with sync from the internal generator or external Genlock signal during any loss of Video SDI Input signal. But this is an important consideration especially if thery are trying to use any wireless HD transmission to your recorder. But I bet they already considered this since all the video is run through the internal scaler and frame syncroniser because the image ending up in the file along with the sound can even be a different resolution and frame rate than your HDSDI Input signal. You could continue run a 722t with a mix as a backup as many people are doing already with their multitrack reocrder. Of course any Embedded audio on the SDI signal from the camera would be lost. A good reason for the PIX recorder to be on the sound mixers cart being fed with Analog or AES or Dante audio where the Mixer can easily monitor the quality of the actual recording..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there any speculation that SD will announce anything new in terms of audio recorders, perhaps at IBC on the 7th September?

SD is as tight lipped as they come about new products. The Zax Maxx announcement might have caused SD to go back to the drawing boards. IBC is a maybe, NAB 2013 would be more likely.

Eric

Hey look what i found; Dutch professional audio dealer AEM organises a small get together during IBC with some interesting speakers. Among them SD's Paul Isaacs. The text on the invitation website is quite teasing, I quote: "About Sound Devices newest ....."

I almost asume it must be sound related since the organiser is an audio dealer...?

I put it through Google translate for you guys:

http://translate.goo...ion%3D.&act=url

Good detective work, Vincent. Let's see how it all plays out. This is all very exciting... not quite as exciting as the secrecy, dramas and leaks surrounding Apple, but still intriguing.

.....and around the clubhouse turn they come..SD & Zax, Zax & SD nostrils flared...eyes wide in anticipation...as they cross the finish line the winner is........................every sound mixer in the world.

Eric

Apple buys SD, Lectro and Zaxcom in a bold move to build a new series of products which allow mixers all over the world to remotely mix from home or the pool.

If I win the MegaMillions today, my secret plan is to merge Sound Devices, Lectrosonics, Denecke, and PSC into one company with compatible products, many with iPad/iPhone apps. I'll let you know when that happens.

Hey look what i found; Dutch professional audio dealer AEM organises a small get together during IBC with some interesting speakers. Among them SD's Paul Isaacs. The text on the invitation website is quite teasing, I quote: "About Sound Devices newest ....."

I almost asume it must be sound related since the organiser is an audio dealer...?

I put it through Google translate for you guys:

http://translate.goo...ion%3D.&act=url

Good work!

From the page "Time: Friday, September 7, 2012, Entry 19:00, Start 19:30. "

As others have said, the competition is very healthy at the moment.. its great for us.

I am itching to buy something so, SoundDevices, make it a good one! ;D

I think a recording 302 is still a great idea and something that I would buy. D.O. would be a bonus, but not required in a product of this scope. Timecode reader would be mandatory and a generator would be better yet. Also a big hit would be a 6 channel version of the 552 that can record 8 channels, again, timecode generator would be welcome. There are technically more advanced products out there or announced, but this is the core functionality that is needed for the working Joe. I think we've all hashed out our desires, I'm just reiterating this in light of some recent product announcements and how it is still relevant.

Some things I don't like about the 552... Sven and the transport "joystick".