Canon 5D MK III made me happy

So you think I should use the 5D's preamps? I do want to record the best audio possible on the camera in the hopes that they could actually use it and from researching it, I thought my 442's line level out with the camera gain as low as possible was the way to go. Does your experience suggest otherwise, Eric?

Also, I am building a cable for it, two XLR F's to a 3.5mm stereo male. Can anyone tell me if I need any attenuation on the cable?

Thanks Eric and everyone else.

Actually you know exactly what they're thinking so I would suggest sending a mic level signal and set the camera at -12 or less. The 5D does not respond too well to a line level signal regardless of how low you set the input level.

Eric

So you think I should use the 5D's preamps? I do want to record the best audio possible on the camera in the hopes that they could actually use it and from researching it, I thought my 442's line level out with the camera gain as low as possible was the way to go. Does your experience suggest otherwise, Eric?

Also, I am building a cable for it, two XLR F's to a 3.5mm stereo male. Can anyone tell me if I need any attenuation on the cable?

Thanks Eric and everyone else.

No attenuation on the cable, but your 442 outputs should be switched to mic level. It's a mic level input on the 5D. Feeding it line level and 'dropping the input level' does NOT work.

Think I've posted this before, but these are the bomb...

http://www.lockitbud...site/index.html

And nothing reminds post that there is double system audio like audio timecode on track 2....

Cool. Gonna look into this. Currently running scratch track on DSLR shoots via a wireless hop. How much timecode bleed, if any shows up on the scratch track?

1. TIMECODE - it now has the ability to run as a master for TC... Unfortunately, not slave yet, but it proved helpful at some points... I didn't try to jam out of it to a slate yet, but I'm wondering if the headphone jack acts as a possible jam out.

FWIW - I never, ever, have used any camera code as a master for anything, and I don't recommend you do so.......

Way too easy for a camera grunt to create a huge problem with a menu, a battery change, whatever........

SBT, Lockit, or nada - i.e. don't care about camera code - set for rough time of day at best for any tinycam that won't take a jam.

You be the master!

MF

Cool. Gonna look into this. Currently running scratch track on DSLR shoots via a wireless hop. How much timecode bleed, if any shows up on the scratch track?

Phil Perkins convinced me a couple of years ago that using Singular Software's PluralEyes is a better move than trying to get timecode into these little toy cameras. Most of the smart producers and editors I deal with are either aware of PluralEyes or already have it. It's only $149, so you figure, if that saves the editor just 1 hour a day, it'll more than pay for itself in a few weeks.

I do agree that the MkIII is a big improvement over the previous versions, and I'm glad that Canon is paying attention to what users, sound mixers, and post people need.

Phil Perkins convinced me a couple of years ago that using Singular Software's PluralEyes is a better move than trying to get timecode into these little toy cameras. Most of the smart producers and editors I deal with are either aware of PluralEyes or already have it. It's only $149, so you figure, if that saves the editor just 1 hour a day, it'll more than pay for itself in a few weeks. I do agree that the MkIII is a big improvement over the previous versions, and I'm glad that Canon is paying attention to what users, sound mixers, and post people need.

Hi Marc, et al.,

FC and Pleural Eyes has =joy, but thinking of going to Premier Pro, with Apple not updating their Mac Pro (worried they won't and FC may follow), etc.. In any case, any opinions on use of Premier Pro, with PE? The PE Beta, reportedly has had some issues with the required Lion, for Mac use, as expected, at this point. Another reason to hold of on Lion.

BTW, That editor, based on; U.S jing, a typical film/sound editor's 7 day work week and the erstwhile recaptured $149.00, must really luv the work.

Thank you very much

Fury

" second system is just in case something goes wrong. "

double system audio?? if something "goes wron" with the 5d, it will make a great radio show.

" I just replied "great". "

I would have said OK... >:(

" drop camera gain as much as I can to bypass the preamps on the camera and send line level "

err... that doesn't bypass anything. :wacko:

" So you think I should use the 5D's preamps? "

if you record audio on a 5d, you use its preamps.

" was the way to go. Does your experience suggest otherwise, Eric? "

that was what he said...