RastOrder Cart: SU-01V

Eric Burge

Fine looking cart! I am a little confused by the drawer being on top (above the mixer sliding shelf)

Hello Jeff - this cart is a modified SU cart -  made for a video colour grader. The mixer shelf is to be his keyboard or whatever else shelf. Placement was a task of fitting the 3 things in - ie shelf, drawer & UPS after the Mac Pro & Raid hard drive took up all the bottom room. But he & I are happy with the outcome. I find it interesting to play the flexibility of the original SU cart design.

Monitor/s will go in top half.

Rob

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Jeff - I randomly buy different tyres for SU - trying to keep in the size of 20" by 2.3" or 2.4". The SU needs a fatter tyre, because of its size & the weight it usually carries. This one is a Fiction Troop BMX tyre - limited Edition Urban Camo. I try to give these ones to the younger folks...

Rob

1 hour ago, Rob Stalder said:

Hi Jeff - I randomly buy different tyres for SU - trying to keep in the size of 20" by 2.3" or 2.4". The SU needs a fatter tyre, because of its size & the weight it usually carries. This one is a Fiction Troop BMX tyre - limited Edition Urban Camo. I try to give these ones to the younger folks...

Rob

Thanks, Rob, "Urban Camo", nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Below is from Jo Manly (Antiques Roadshow, UK), giving me the biz on his SU cart.

Hello Rob.

No, the wheels have not fallen off despite me loading it up with an unbelievable amount of equipment.

I am very impressed.

After all our correspondence about the desk shelf I can confirm that it does accommodate a Yamaha DM1000.

Although it fitted perfectly (raising the back up a few mm) I was worried about the weight on the shelf runners but they have been fine.

In the attached photo you can see from top down.

Dual monitors

JoeCo multitrack

Desk metre bridge.

Yamaha DM 1000

IEM tranmitter.

3 Sennheiser dual radio mic receivers

2 Tait radio base station transceivers

UPS which is basically a car battery in a 1U space

Drawer of bits.

It takes two to lift it and even then it is a struggle but wheeling it around it handles beautifully.

Jo_AR setup.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Rob Stalder said:

SU about to start work with Chris Lakeman - Sydney, Australia.

My what a big mixer you have...

Chris's SU.jpg

Fantastic looking cart!  Do you know what the total weight with the big board and all the accoutrements roughly is?  Like Jeff said, everything seems right in place where you'd want it despite how fully loaded it is!

Hi codyman, can't answer that with a definitive statement.

SU on my specs page says about 24 kg, but I think its more like 20kg. Its actually lighter than the current VK cart.

It rolls easily, on the rear wheels. I am mostly using 20 x 2.4 inch tyres, they are quite wide and traverse most obstacles with ease.

See the pic below. Kitty is an AC in Melbourne, Australia. Her rig is RMC7, which is actually a redesigned compact SU cart. She loves the ease of moving it around and she has a fair bit of gear on board...

Jeff, thank you for your comment. The SU cart is an interesting survivor of something designed originally for large analogue mixers. 

It is in an overkill for modern digital control surfaces, but is living on supporting these big digital mixers, in a compact, upright layout.

I still have fond memories of dealing with Eric Burge, way back when he used his powers of persuasion to get his O1V into an SU.

That was the last full size SU in stock. When I return from my extended break I will build more. I'm thinking of deleting the 2 modules in most of them, as anyone wanting this size rig has a van and it also means the joining space can be utilised.

Also I am thinking of increasing the height above the mixer shelf to 300mm, these mixers seem to be getting taller.

Another mod may be to do what Chris has done and cut back the full top shelf, presumably so he doesn't have to extend the mixer shelf out so far to read the meter screen. The SU is 600mm deep and those mixers use up nearly all of that depth.

Best,

Rob

Kitty + trolly 1 - JWSound.jpg

4 hours ago, nickreich said:

Hi Rob, nearly all of these 19" width digital consoles nowdays have Touchscreens, so as Chris has done, losing the front half of the shelf above it (or having it removeable) would be a good idea.

Thanks Nick, actually hadn't even occurred to me...

Hmmmmmmmm the shelf does serve a very important job of keeping the 2 sides together, particularly if its not a 2 module version.

But I could go to 18" sliders (460mm) instead of 16" ones (400mm) and reduce the 600mm shelf to say 500mm or 450mm and  increase the headroom to maybe even 350mm. All that combined should give way better access. Its a plan.

Best,

Rob

7 hours ago, Derek H said:

Have you ever made an SU without any sliding shelf and just gone with rack rail all the way down?

Derek - funny you should mention it.

I made RMC-6, which is actually a square SU. I was experimenting - I put larger 7" castors on it & they had no brakes so I had to add some - it also made it higher - I put a full shelf in the top section to hold it together, although that maybe wasn't necessary as it was secured just below to the welded bottom module - I also had no frame mounted mixer shelf, just rack strip all the way, including an extra rack strip one third the way in, for recessing some equipment. Its still for sale...

I think now it was a big mistake not to put the frame mounted mixer shelf in there as it meant it could not accommodate a large digital mixer.

Although I do think if I removed the middle full shelf I could put one in there.

Interesting...

http://www.rastorder.com.au/product_rmc.htm

Rob