Bag is born, Evolving to Cart.

ChrisH

I will be recieving my 788t today and a bag and a BDS, my CL8 and CLwifi next week along with 3 more channels lectro SR/SMV and I already have a great boom kit. I will build my bag rig first and then over the next year transition onto a cart. I will continue to post on my progress.

In preparation to utility the third season of the walking dead I am building on Trew Audios Video Assist kit. The main difference in mine is durability and use. First off every show I have been on does not need audio from or to the sound cart from video village. We just need video. My system uses the muxlab 500037 to give us 4 BNC inputs/outputs and no audio. I am going to install all this into a nice aluminum box and put ethercon (neutrik connectors for cat5) wall plates on it. I have to thank several folks in the area for their contributions to this design; including Bartek Swiatek and Michael Clarke who have both taught me loads in my time as utility with them. My bag rig comes in today and I will be building my cart over the next year.

-Chris

post-2879-0-90101900-1334941780.jpg

Ok here is the first build. Kind of non functional yet I am still awaiting many pieces in the mail.

It's missing my block 26 SRa, my np1s, my cl-8 and my mkh 50 is at the shop too.

First snag I have come across is tryingto cram star quad into ta3 connectors, Mogami mini xlr is en route from MarkerTek.

Next is gain staging for the g3s. I am using them for IFBs or camera hops. Am I spoiled listening to good radios because I can't get these to sound very good I remember they used to be alright, but maybe I just am spoiled now. I currently have my output to them on the 788 turned down to -26 and the transmitter at -24. This gives me non distorted tone and voice but with a higher noise floor than I want, has anyone else used these this way?

I guess I'll run them into my pro-tools rig and evaluate the output signal there, any ideas or common experiences would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Next is gain staging for the g3s. I am using them for IFBs or camera hops. Am I spoiled listening to good radios because I can't get these to sound very good I remember they used to be alright, but maybe I just am spoiled now. I currently have my output to them on the 788 turned down to -26 and the transmitter at -24. This gives me non distorted tone and voice but with a higher noise floor than I want, has anyone else used these this way? I guess I'll run them into my pro-tools rig and evaluate the output signal there, any ideas or common experiences would be helpful.

Try -5 for the 788's output and -45 on the G3 input. You've got to drive the transmitter pretty hot to get a good signal.. Also make sure your cables are terminated + to the sleeve instead of the tip for line level.

Good luck!