Slot receiver from Audio Ltd.

Soundwil

Apparently it's not compatible with 2040 transmitters, only the EN2 stuff. Disappointing.

True.

I would normally want my camera hop be of the highest possible audio quality and since the EN2 stuff is cheaper than the 2040 range it doesn't inspire confidence. I'll stick with the Zaxcom.

But in does look good 8)

• 7 months later...

I use an En2 system as a hop. 2 TxPro transmitters, Dx2 receiver (not the slot mount). I tried three systems primarily for hop use and this one won for me for various reasons. I found it sounded better than the Lectro SR, SMQV rig and I found the Zaxcom systems just a bit too messy and had experienced buggy hire units which didn't help my opinion of them I guess.

I did some very picky listening tests against a hard line including whispering compander foxing levels, loud peaks, keys etc and I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference on real recordings from real locations as I struggled on quiet recordings at home. Tx's externally powerable plus I have cos11s for them if I ever need to use them as normal radios. Hawkwoods vlock mount for the RX as well as a coldshoe mount for smaller cameras. Internally power RX from lithium AA if needs be for about 8 hours. Camera ops like its size and weight. Range is seemingly as good as my 2040s so more than enough for a hop. Cost a bit less than the other options though that honestly wasn't a big consideration because as Wil says, you don't cock around with the quality of hops.

Stu

I use an En2 system as a hop. 2 TxPro transmitters, Dx2 receiver (not the slot mount). I tried three systems primarily for hop use and this one won for me for various reasons. I found it sounded better than the Lectro SR, SMQV rig and I found the Zaxcom systems just a bit too messy and had experienced buggy hire units which didn't help my opinion of them I guess.

I did some very picky listening tests against a hard line including whispering compander foxing levels, loud peaks, keys etc and I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference on real recordings from real locations as I struggled on quiet recordings at home. Tx's externally powerable plus I have cos11s for them if I ever need to use them as normal radios. Hawkwoods vlock mount for the RX as well as a coldshoe mount for smaller cameras. Internally power RX from lithium AA if needs be for about 8 hours. Camera ops like its size and weight. Range is seemingly as good as my 2040s so more than enough for a hop. Cost a bit less than the other options though that honestly wasn't a big consideration because as Wil says, you don't cock around with the quality of hops.

Stu

very interesting Stu,

Was the slot receiver out when you bought your DX2? if so why did you favour the DX2? I ask since I was quoted for both systems and the Slot receiver was only like £100 more. A bit more awkward to mount on un-slotted cameras though I'm sure.

To say that it sound better than the Lectro is bold! :) lets see what the lectro fanboys say about that! :D

Range seemingly as good as 2040's? Is that realistic for a dual receiver - because its true diversity maybe?

How do you find the TX's in a bag, do they seem to work ok next to receivers? And do you have them all in the same block? CH38/39?

Continuing thanks!

Hiya Roso,

The CX2 was still a drawing when I bought mine. Even still I doubt I would have gone for it as the way I work I'm often with a new camera most days so don't fancy getting the screw driver out every morning. The V-lock system is quick and neat and puts the weight in the right place for the camera ops. I'm pretty sure the CX2 will suffer the same Sony cobbling of the slot inputs limited to one channel and thus you would be running cables in to the back anyway and yes having a small internally power able receiver is more flexible given the cameras we have to deal with these days.

My opinion on audio quality over the Lectros is of course based on use as a hop where the preamps aren't being pushed as they are receiving a well modulated signal from my mixer. I think things like the preamp quality with Lav mics, perhaps build quality (though I judge that to be good enough for hop use) is where the savings are made over a 2040 system. I thought the Lectro kit was really well built and it reminded me of Sound Devices stuff from that point of view. But yes, I did ultimately judge the En2 audio quality as a smidge better in a hop setup to my bronze ears.

My range assesment is pretty flaky to be honest but basically if I leave a 2040tx in my living room and wander down the street with my bag I can get about 80m before consistent hits. The En2 does the same. Given the RX is up high on the back of a camera for hop use this range is more than enough and I guess no news is good news after a year of use and no complaints of hits from post production. Always roll backup of course...

I now have my bag arranged with TX's next to the recorder/mixer (a 664 today!) closest to my body and the talent Rxs using dipoles mounted as far to the front as possible on the front petrol pouches running through a PSC RF Multi SMA distro. I wanted VHF put they couldn't do that unfortunately.

Check your PM.

Cheers.

Stu

Is the PSC RF Multi SMA distro working well for you? I've heard contradictory things and even the concept of a broadband amplifier questioned ie. amplifying everything including TV stations etc. without filtering can overload the front end of receivers etc.

It is however a very attractive prospect for having multiple receivers well organized.

Long story but I've ended up with two. One of them did develop a fault after a while. My guess is the RF amp was overloaded by placing a transmitting TX physically too close to one of the ariels and this has since been repaired and PSC told me an RF limiter is one of the improvements they have made. The other one has since gone in to use and has been flawless and I feel more confident with that one as it is also up to date in terms of PSC's on going improvements.

This is a bit off topic now but the amp in the RF Multi SMA is only there to make up for the losses of the splitter, connectors etc. What your receivers "see" at their antenna inputs is the same with whips or a wide bandwidth RF distro being fed from dipoles. It is then up to your receivers to filter this but nothing is really gained up. The advantages being the ability to place more efficient antennae (better ground plane than a receiver's case) in more optimal position, tapping in to larger rigs with things like phantom powered head amps. The system has worked really well for me.

Hiya Roso,

The CX2 was still a drawing when I bought mine. Even still I doubt I would have gone for it as the way I work I'm often with a new camera most days so don't fancy getting the screw driver out every morning. The V-lock system is quick and neat and puts the weight in the right place for the camera ops. I'm pretty sure the CX2 will suffer the same Sony cobbling of the slot inputs limited to one channel and thus you would be running cables in to the back anyway and yes having a small internally power able receiver is more flexible given the cameras we have to deal with these days.

My opinion on audio quality over the Lectros is of course based on use as a hop where the preamps aren't being pushed as they are receiving a well modulated signal from my mixer. I think things like the preamp quality with Lav mics, perhaps build quality (though I judge that to be good enough for hop use) is where the savings are made over a 2040 system. I thought the Lectro kit was really well built and it reminded me of Sound Devices stuff from that point of view. But yes, I did ultimately judge the En2 audio quality as a smidge better in a hop setup to my bronze ears.

My range assesment is pretty flaky to be honest but basically if I leave a 2040tx in my living room and wander down the street with my bag I can get about 80m before consistent hits. The En2 does the same. Given the RX is up high on the back of a camera for hop use this range is more than enough and I guess no news is good news after a year of use and no complaints of hits from post production. Always roll backup of course...

I now have my bag arranged with TX's next to the recorder/mixer (a 664 today!) closest to my body and the talent Rxs using dipoles mounted as far to the front as possible on the front petrol pouches running through a PSC RF Multi SMA distro. I wanted VHF put they couldn't do that unfortunately.

Check your PM.

Cheers.

Stu

Very well reasoned response there, thank you for that. The DX2 system is beginning to sound right up my street.

My TX's would be mounted in both the external pockets of the Petrol bag, whereas my 2040 receivers are in front of the mixer. I don't know what difference that makes to the RF flying about, and I'll more likely be on the standard SMA antennae, since the PSC RF Multi is so expensive...

Congrats on the 664! Are you in the UK? ..mine must be along soon!

Very well reasoned response there, thank you for that. The DX2 system is beginning to sound right up my street.

My TX's would be mounted in both the external pockets of the Petrol bag, whereas my 2040 receivers are in front of the mixer. I don't know what difference that makes to the RF flying about, and I'll more likely be on the standard SMA antennae, since the PSC RF Multi is so expensive...

Yes the PSC RF Multi is expensive but what it achieves if it works is having only two antennae that can be easily separated from TX's and elevated (dipoles for example), distributed to all the receivers, and significantly help with range and reliability in a bag setup, that alone is probably worth it for me, but it also enables things to be nicely organized, and not have to worry about all the little receiver antennae.

Stretching it a bit but still slightly on topic about best options for camera hop possibilities perhaps?

Yes the PSC RF Multi is expensive but what it achieves if it works is having only two antennae that can be easily separated from TX's and elevated (dipoles for example), distributed to all the receivers, and significantly help with range and reliability in a bag setup, that alone is probably worth it for me, but it also enables things to be nicely organized, and not have to worry about all the little receiver antennae.

Stretching it a bit but still slightly on topic about best options for camera hop possibilities perhaps?

Yeah I'm sure its still on topic ;)

"if it works" is the key expression there.

Yeah my work around is a bag mounted RK6 rack for when I need dipoles or yagis out.. Just I can't wear that bag on the shoulder. But then, when you've got antennae clipped somewhere up high, you're not walking around anyway. Plus I get all the RK6 features. I don't do reality so its not an issue really.

So - Wisycom eh?

Hmm. If I were to use that with my 2040 TX's, I think the block separation wouldn't be sufficient.

What kind of range can you tune the MCR 42 to? Do they sell them only for specific blocks or could I use it for 550MHz one day and 850MHz the next?

Congrats on the 664! Are you in the UK? ..mine must be along soon!

No worries.

Yep think I was a lucky early UK recipient of a 664 but I know a couple more people with them now. It did have a sticker saying something like "Reserved for Ros.." But I couldn't read the rest of it so just peeled it off and threw it away.

Yeah I'm sure its still on topic ;)

"if it works" is the key expression there.

So - Wisycom eh?

Hmm. If I were to use that with my 2040 TX's, I think the block separation wouldn't be sufficient.

What kind of range can you tune the MCR 42 to? Do they sell them only for specific blocks or could I use it for 550MHz one day and 850MHz the next?

Not 300 Mhz range no or as high as 850Mhz. These are the ranges available I believe -

L 470 - 678 MHz M 566 - 798 MHz H 590 - 822 MHz

No worries.

Yep think I was a lucky early UK recipient of a 664 but I know a couple more people with them now. It did have a sticker saying something like "Reserved for Ros.." But I couldn't read the rest of it so just peeled it off and threw it away.

I won't tell Ros if you won't!

I've just heard mine is in the Post! Hooray!

Not 300 Mhz range no or as high as 850Mhz. These are the ranges available I believe -

L 470 - 678 MHz M 566 - 798 MHz H 590 - 822 MHz

ty!

True.

I would normally want my camera hop be of the highest possible audio quality and since the EN2 stuff is cheaper than the 2040 range it doesn't inspire confidence. I'll stick with the Zaxcom.

But in does look good 8)

Cheaper doesn't always mean lower quality.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Cheaper doesn't always mean lower quality.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Hmm....indeed not.

But savings have been made somewhere in its design and/or production compared to the 2040s and I'm not sure if a camera hop is the place to find out where.

However, I do like its (DX2 non slot) form factor and powering options and if I didn't have the zaxcom system would be tempted - more...