Slot receiver from Audio Ltd.

Soundwil

Hmm....indeed not.

But savings have been made somewhere in its design and/or production compared to the 2040s and I'm not sure if a camera hop is the place to find out where.

However, I do like its (DX2 non slot) form factor and powering options and if I didn't have the zaxcom system would be tempted - more...

I had this worry also and it doesn't help that when the EN2s first came out they were pitched at competing at the lower end of the market, with the Sennheiser Evos etc. The range has expanded a lot since then, with "Pro" versions appearing but using a so-called budget system as a hop always concerned me a bit.

I put it to Kish from Audio when I saw him at a show a few weeks ago. He was saying that there weren't really any compromises in the audio quality between 2040s and the EN2 system. The difference between the two is in the companding circuitry, the EN2 running at a lower voltage than the 2040. This checks out when you think that a 2040 tx runs with a 9v battery and a EN2 tx runs on a single AA. Add in to that equation a good few years of R&D and you can start to see where the savings are made with this system.

It could have been sales speak though. I have a DX2 system which I use as a hop and also as extra talent mics where necessary. To my ears the EN2 sounds a little bit "thinner" than a 2040 when used as a talent mic. This could be explained by differences in age between the two COS11s that I was using but there you go. I'm more than happy with mine.

Another couple of things that I spoke to Kish about....

The CX2 slot in comes in two versions, a Panasonic and a Sony, both with different interfaces at the bottom. They don't have replaceable bottom plates that the Lectro rx does. The Sony version has a Binder breakout connector at the top to combat the loss of ch2 through the bottom interface - http://www.audioltd.com/new-en2-slot-in-receiver-debuts-at-bve-london/

From what I can gather though, this version of the CX2 cannot be powered via the Binder connection, which is a pain for those considering using the system in the bag when not slotted in to the camera. I guess you could build a breakout connector for bag use but it makes things a bit more awkward.

The frequency scan function also differs between the DX2 and the CX2. The CX2 will plot you a frequency graph where the DX2 will only scan for free or occupied channels.