Nomad freezing problems

Mgregor12

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not had freezing problems but I have come across something weird in the last few days.

1 out of every 20 times or so, my cards (transcend 133's) fail to mount and I get red text in the startup. When it finishes booting it tells me there is only a few minutes left on the card. A quick restart has fixed it every time so far, but I was very scared the first time I saw it.

So far the CF cards I've used successfully with my Nomad are:

Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s UDMA 16GB (Primary/Mirror)

Sandisk Extreme IV 45MB/s UDMA 4GB (Primary/Mirror)

Delkin Devices Compact Flash Pro UDMA 4GB (Mirror Only)

I've got some 32GB Transcend cards on the way, I'll add those to my list once I have used them.

I just want to point out again, something that has been said a million times before. People that have a problem/issue with something will probably make a post about it. People that are getting along just fine, probably aren't. So the ratio of negative posts VS positive posts are grossly on the negative side.

I am very happy with my nomad 8. No major issues and I'd say about 500 hours of run time since January when I received it.

I have not had freezing problems but I have come across something weird in the last few days.

1 out of every 20 times or so, my cards (transcend 133's) fail to mount and I get red text in the startup. When it finishes booting it tells me there is only a few minutes left on the card. A quick restart has fixed it every time so far, but I was very scared the first time I saw it.

Couple of quck question is this happening on both the primay and mirror or just one? Are these new cards? Did anything change in your setup?

I think everyone has just settled in to using JWSOUND as the "go to" place for ALL support issues. This is not right. If individual members want to compile some "data bank", with or without the support or manufacturer's participation, this should be done off this site on your own time. It will be quite useful, I imagine, once such a data bank has been compiled, that it be posted here for all to enjoy. This applies to machines other than Nomad, incidentally, it is just that it seems that Nomad users are the most active here right now.

I'm open to suggestions, always, how this site can serve our members even better, but the idea of compiling a data bank from lots of individual and random posts like "I used a Sandisk 133x CF from amazon.com in my 788T and it worked" is a rather tedious and pointless task in my opinion.

I'm open to suggestions, always, how this site can serve our members even better, but the idea of compiling a data bank from lots of individual and random posts like "I used a Sandisk 133x CF from amazon.com in my 788T and it worked" is a rather tedious and pointless task in my opinion.

Jeff you are correct - the forum isn't the best place for that. For anyone who wants to to submit info regarding cards, or any other info regarding Nomad that isn't pertinent to this forum should email it directly to:

Support at zaxcom dat com

Any info will be compiled there and reposted here.

Couple of quck question is this happening on both the primay and mirror or just one? Are these new cards? Did anything change in your setup?

They are new cards, (transcend 32's) I think it happens on both, im not 100% sure, I always catch the red text at the last second. Im going to power cycle it a few times right now and see what I come up with.

it must be the primary. The mirror doesnt mount during startup correct?

I just power cycled probably 50 times and couldn't get it to do it. I noticed that it initializes from the last folder that was open. There must have been something that happens just before I power it down. Maybe I hit the power just after mirroring finished and it hasn't finished a read cycle on the primary or something, but somewhere there is something that is stopping the card from mounting once in a while.

I did notice something interesting though. When I was trying to get my card to not mount I tried a few things. One of those was to hit the power during a mirror process. (I know that isn't a smart thing to do) If you do that, when you power back on, mirroring is off.

i only have the 4 so aes can't be on, and I have never turned mix 8 support on ever before.

Right after initializing audio (where it mounts the primary) it will freeze for a moment then give me red text which I have never been fast enough to read. When it starts up it tells me there is less than 5 minutes left on the card. This is well before the mirror mounts after startup.

i only have the 4 so aes can't be on, and I have never turned mix 8 support on ever before.

Right after initializing audio (where it mounts the primary) it will freeze for a moment then give me red text which I have never been fast enough to read. When it starts up it tells me there is less than 5 minutes left on the card. This is well before the mirror mounts after startup.

If I remember correctly, you can hold the menu knob during boot to freeze the on screen text and read it. Red text means there is a warning, but that does not mean it is severe. I'm sure Howy can interpert your warning for you and let you know what the issue is.

Wandering Ear