Nomad freezing problems

Mgregor12

One thing I'd like to make clear for my part in this discussion, is that this has only happened to me once. I haven't used my Nomad a lot, but my mention of the one freeze-up I had was not to complain about the machine, nor was it to imply that I consider the machine to be anything less than dependable.

My intention was to add to the knowledge-base so that going forward the Nomad can be further refined and made even more reliable. My guess is that the continuous mirroring was somehow responsible for the glitch.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I'm new here, and I figure I should post my experience with the nomad 6 today, which ended in disaster and had to switch over to a zoom for back up.

In short, the nomad performed smoothly for 7 or 8 hours until it froze suddenly during the most critical minute and refused to turn back on... It's now a fancy paper weight, bricked or something. Doesn't power on anymore.

I haven't touched the firmware or anything, this happened in the field in the middle of a take for ESPN =(

The nomad 6 had mirror on, v 2.81, with transcend 32GB cards in both slots, and enerloops in battery cage, ZaxNet sending ifb out, and controlling my trx900la. Nomad was powered by NP1 with remote audio v2 bds.

4 inputs in, 1 phantom, recording to 5 tracks.

Weather was sunny, Temperature was 84f, operated fairly cool.

Tested it with new np1, new internal batteries, and tried wall external power.

Second time out with my nomad and read the f out of the manual. I'm not amused with my Zaxcom investment. Maybe someone can tell me I got the bad unit?

I noticed it froze a lot without mirror on too.

Your issue might be software-version related.

Upgrade the software to v.2.95 and see if you have the same issues. Try it both with mirroring on and off.

I would try it, if it turns on at all. That's the problem. I could live with the nomad freezing since the trx will carry on, but it's out cold. Dropped dead in the middle of the shoot. It was quite embarrassing to be talking up the Nomad to the entire crew and telling them how cool that they're listening to IFB and getting TC from just the Nomad... then fall completely flat. Talk about fail.

It was super cool while it lasted though.

Those of you who are more experienced (aka not me) have probably had problems with Nagra tape, DAT machines freeze or damage the tape somehow...

Can't we agree that nothing is perfect and there will always be bugs in any system?

okay yes, freeze, I'm okay with that. but when I drop close to 5k and more to get compatible peripherals, what happened to me should not happen. Complete shutdown and not able to do its basic function as a recorder under nominal conditions... Not in this league.

but yeah, I drew the short straw and I see that. I still support Zaxcom, but I think I'm gonna carry a 744t with me on future shoots.

Mine freezes on boot occasionally as well. I also know of others that get the freeze on boot repeatedly. Not happy to hear there is new freeze problem occurring during recording.

It is there as far as software. last maybe 30 work days never failed me. As long as it does not freeze on boot. it is minor inconvenience and fixed by another reboot. Time lost: 5 seconds. I have never had it freeze on boot twice in a row.

Yes, but there is a reasonable amount updating/fixing and also a point where the amount of problems becomes unreasonable. I'm not comfortable with setting the precedent that "nothing is perfect" and we should all just be quiet and deal with any new problems that come up with the Nomad as we spend money and time sending them in for repair.

That being said, Zaxcom has fixed all my problems quickly, although I'm out $150 in shipping. I'm comfortable with that. I just don't want to see new inherent problems keep popping up that require more attention.

At some point a product like this should work close to perfectly. With any problems being very minor and infrequent. I hope we get there soon.

That is really what i was getting at, you just said it better.

Yes, but there is a reasonable amount updating/fixing and also a point where the amount of problems becomes unreasonable. I'm not comfortable with setting the precedent that "nothing is perfect" and we should all just be quiet and deal with any new problems that come up with the Nomad as we spend money and time sending them in for repair.

That being said, Zaxcom has fixed all my problems quickly, although I'm out $150 in shipping. I'm comfortable with that. I just don't want to see new inherent problems keep popping up that require more attention.

At some point a product like this should work close to perfectly. With any problems being very minor and infrequent. I hope we get there soon.

+1

I'm not going to lie, I was really close to purchasing a Nomad soon, but quite honestly this thread has scared me away from that... again. It seems there are too many issues and quirks that still need to be ironed out.

Me too! Fortunately, I can wait a while for "perfection". It still seems to be the best machine for me.

I'm not going to lie, I was really close to purchasing a Nomad soon, but quite honestly this thread has scared me away from that... again. It seems there are too many issues and quirks that still need to be ironed out.

The Nomad should not freeze. I would upgrade to 2.95 and try a different set of cards to rule out counterfiet cards.

If that does not solve the problem it must be either a hardware problem or a ground loop problem. If the unit is not connected to multiple peices of powered equipment, that would rule out the ground loop problem.

-howy

I think that is a bit unfair, this is a new machine and it is expected there will teething problems, there will be 1000's of nomads out there and your only seeing the problemss that people put on the forums, you wont see all the good stories out there

I am very happy I purchased one and have no regrets

The Nomad should not freeze. I would upgrade to 2.95 and try a different set of cards to rule out counterfiet cards.

If that does not solve the problem it must be either a hardware problem or a ground loop problem. If the unit is not connected to multiple peices of powered equipment, that would rule out the ground loop problem.

-howy

howy, thanks for your testing ,however , there is few people experience similar freeze and seems not one or 2 case, at least i found here. What i have tried ,seems pointing to mirroring problem as i mentioned above,And the freeze is not periodically happened ,just random on field recording , So i really could not locate the problem is hardware or software, and one more thing , i have experienced hardware problem of one part of my machine and get it changed already....Seems won't have 2 hardware part problems within one machine?? just matter of probability is relatively low, right?

I have a Nomd for several months now and i have not had one freeze issue.

Eventhough there are people who have seen freezes with Nomad there are people who have not. I think it is a very small percentage of users who has seen freezes. It is not just Nomad you hear about 788 freezes all the time both here and on the SD forum.

Never had mine freeze in over 2 years of use in all types of weather conditions

On a feature film last year we were filming the front of a shop blowing up (it gets hit by an rpg in the script) and the 788 just died after the turnover and as a result missed the explosion, luckly the mixer I was working for had the 744 recording backup so we didn't miss it, but it does happen

Okay, I've got to chime in here on this topic. If I were to start a topic every time I have had some failure or some glitch with some piece of equipment, and expected to sort out the difficulty by listening to everyone else's war stories, this forum would explode. Whoever was originally having a freeze problem with their Nomad, have they contacted their dealer, sent the machine in, gotten some advice or support from the right people? I don't want replies to this either that tell me how great it is that we can hear about everybody's trouble with whatever piece of gear they may be dealing with, I just don't think that is the best use of JWSOUND. I am making the plea to everyone to remember this is a DISCUSSION group, not a manufacturer or dealers support group.