Can we get reviews as to how the HS-P82 and Nagra 6 been performing out in the field?

José

I've heard the Tascam drifts badly and should be avoided if TC sync is important .

The timecode is actually dead on, I haven't had any sync issues yet. There is a setting in the menu for the TC generator to either remain on when you shut the machine down or shut down with the machine. Obviously if you shut the TC gen off it will drift like mad. I can have my slate running for half a day with no issues.

Edited by Spencer Moore

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Own it and have not had any issues with the timecode. It works like a charm. The Tascam is a very good machine for its price range. it's not as heavy as it seems and works fine in a bag or on a cart. I use a Comer battery with p tap that goes to the dc power and if battery settings are setup correctly I get almost a full day battery run and then I have a NP-1 inside battery compartment as a backup to keep power continuously going.

It's all touch screen and easy to use and their is a support topic for it over a Trew Audio and Tom Duffy is always helping out.

It can do dual cf card recording and that works great.

If you do lose power while recording you will not lose that file or make it corrupt. Upon re powering it will load and search for that project to allow you to see all files.

Preamps are good with or without a mixer. When using in a bag I don't use a mixer and when on a cart I use a Mackie in front of it.

Overall a great recorder.

Nicole

You can route any or all 8 channels to the two mix track or you can have it not be recorded in the mix but still being recorded as an iso track as long as the track is armed. Your choice.

Just realized you were referring to the control surface. Sorry about that what I wrote is in regards to the recorder it self.

Go to link below there is great info and it's all users who own the Tascam.

http://www.trewaudio.com/audioflow/2010/02/26/hands-on-the-tascam-hs-p82/

Nicole

I notice (let me know if I'm wrong) that the HS-P82 unit does not provide output gain control. It only has Left and Right set at line level. When working from the bag, are you able to match up the tone levels OK to Lectro transmitters for HOPs? And when in bag, what has been your solution for sending IFBs while simultaneously sending HOPs from your only two line outs?

I'm already sold on the mirroring. It's awesome to hear that the mirroring function for the unit works real well.

I notice (let me know if I'm wrong) that the HS-P82 unit does not provide output gain control. It only has Left and Right set at line level. When working from the bag, are you able to match up the tone levels OK to Lectro transmitters for HOPs? And when in bag, what has been your solution for sending IFBs while simultaneously sending HOPs from your only two line outs?

I'm already sold on the mirroring. It's awesome to hear that the mirroring function for the unit works real well.

Yes it only has two line level outputs. When using a recorder I don't generally do the kind of work that necessitates sending stereo hops to camera, and on cart my mixer has all the necessary outputs. However I have mixed to camera straight off the outputs of the P82 and with the internal tone generator you can certainly align tone for outputs. Plus there are adjustments for the mix out in the virtual mixer. Don't forget the 82 also has a full digital I/O on a DB-25 connector and another AES stereo out on the TC out BNC that can be switched in the menu. It is lacking in analog outs I agree, but thats the cost. I send IFB off one mix channel, and a guide track off the other when over my shoulder. The mirroring works great, and I can report through my brother that the machine does shut itself off and save the take when the voltage gets low.

• 2 weeks later...

The HS-P82 has Reference level adjustment on the Line outputs - -9dB, -14dB, -16dB, -18dB, -20dB, so you should have no trouble lining up to line level transmitters. The internal tone generator always puts out 0dB, so you can calibrate that way. It doesn't have fully adjustable output level, so you'll need a Y splitter and passive pad to go to both a transmitter and a IFB. The RC-F82 has a built in Y splitter (L/R XLR ins, 2 sets of L/R XLR outs) that was designed to help in this situation, and the built in talkback Mic on the RC-F82 can be toggled over to the Line out 2 for simple coms. You'd still need passive pads to get down to mic level though if that's what your IFB needs.

The reference level adjustment is in the analog circuitry to maintain the signal quality. We could add a digital level control, but is it worth risking screw-ups? Do you want to lose 50dB of S/N just to get a scratch track back to the camera that only takes mic level? (Really, I want to know).

Tom

TASCAM.

Welcome, Tom, from TASCAM...

Might be a good idea for you to introduce yourself, and I'm sure you'll be able to help us all out with up to date reliable information about the numerous products in the TASCAM line of interest to us.

BTW: to your final question...NO WAY!

• 1 month later...

I use my HS-P882 for recording live music and have been nothing but pleased with it. Basically replaced a 744 + Grace Design V3 with the Tascam b/c it has 6 more channels. The preamps sound great and A>D stage is excellent and are light years above the tascam dr-680. Don't use mine in a bag and can see how that might pose a problem for someone carrying it all day, but with a shoulder harness I bet its not that bad. For powering I use a high capacity 160 wH battery that will power it for 8 hours. For $200 this external battery cannot be beat http://www.bixnet.com/unpowbat.html It is external but so much better than the NP-1 battery life. Plus its way cheaper than the np-1 too. It can provide 5, 12, or 19V.

Features I like about it

- Easily engage 1 or all 8 channels for recording and 48V

- Records a stereo mix to channels 9-10

- You can pan and add/lower gain to each channel of mix

- You can add limiting and selectable frequency roll off to each channel.

- Size, while it is not the size of SD it is still very manageable.

- It has an internal 10 x AA sled which gives you back up for over an hour

- It has two DC connector inputs. I opted to use the 4pin xlr.

- Records to 1 or 2 compact flash cards. 32gb would give you 7.5hrs. So if you want to give your buddy(or a client) a copy of the show you can just hand him off the compact flash.

- 25pin dsub connection which allows for 8 digital in/outs

- Metering is easy to read with the reference level line which can be set to 9, 14, 16, 18, 20.

- You can set the peak hold, how long it holds for, the peak db level, and choose whether or not to use the reference level.

- You can enter what kind of voltage battery you are using so that that the meter can accurately read the remaining power.

- the switch from AC power to internals or DC power to internals was flawless (I tried disconnecting)

- You can lock sections of the face instead of the whole thing at once.

1029034206_photobucket_74599_.jpg

1029034206_photobucket_74598_.jpg

Inside the AR-P82. the main compartment holds the HS-P82 and the outside pocket for it holds the 8 channel snake. The AR-P82 comes with an RM-Multi Extreme which is the largest of the rm multi series and has an outside pocket of its own. The RM-Multi main compartment houses the Bixnet BP160 (153 Wh) Battery, Schoeps bodies. I only have two in there now but it could easily hold 4 wrapped in pipe insulation. The outermost pocket holds a plastic container which holds the mics.

1029034206_photobucket_74597_.jpg

Schoeps nice and and tidy in a padded lightweight plastic box that fits in the outermost pocket.

1029034206_photobucket_74596_.jpg

full access to all the 8 xlr ins and stereo out via xlr on 9-10

1029034206_photobucket_74601_.jpg

you can protect the connections by velcro'ing the sleeve round the 8 channel snake

1029034206_photobucket_74600_.jpg

When recording at clubs I usually take 4-6 channels from the soundboard whether it is direct out or subgroups and one stereo pair of microphone on stage. When I am recording from the field I use two stereo pairs of Schoeps as seen below.

So I have found the most compact way to run 4 x Schoeps using the Rycote INV-HG MKII shockmount ($62) plus Rycote B2B clips (Part# 048488 $22) for piggy backing the second stereo mount. The MKII shockmount is designed for use with a large shotgun mic so it still keeps its shape even with two stereo mounts in it.

For two pairs of front address microphones

2011-12-05_17-02-39_837.jpg

Notice all the cables are managed neatly in the clamp

Someone had voice concerns about running a vertical address mount with another mount above or below it. Well the solution is to slightly stagger them without touching the shockmount

2011-12-05_16-48-06_548.jpg

NOLAfishwater: Thanks for the link to the battery, I will check that out. Came here to see if anyone else had trouble powering thier HS-P82 in a bag, because mine eats Np-1s, sometimes in under 30mins ??? now granted I'm using some older NP-L50 but still didn't expect that. The battery issue asside my HS-P82 has been really good to me, easy to use for a newbie sound mixer, I just finished my first feature a couple weeks ago with it, so blessed!

NOLAfishwater: Thanks for the link to the battery, I will check that out. Came here to see if anyone else had trouble powering thier HS-P82 in a bag, because mine eats Np-1s, sometimes in under 30mins ??? now granted I'm using some older NP-L50 but still didn't expect that. The battery issue asside my HS-P82 has been really good to me, easy to use for a newbie sound mixer, I just finished my first feature a couple weeks ago with it, so blessed!

Make sure the battery settings are properly set. See page 38 in the manual. Once those settings are properly set then you should see a difference. I used Comer batteries and they would nearly go all day.

Nicole

Make sure the battery settings are properly set. See page 38 in the manual. Once those settings are properly set then you should see a difference. I used Comer batteries and they would nearly go all day.

Nicole

Yeah I'll take a closer look at those settings this weekend. Where do you get Comer batteries? I can find lights but no batteries. Thanks

Rich

I am not a fan of the NP-1 batteries. The BP-160 fits in the transmitter pocket and you could easily put some transmitters in. The battery also has a recessed voltage switch so you can put a piece of gaff tape over it to ensure it won't change voltage. There is also an on/off switch so that your battery doesn't discharge when not in use. Only downside I see is that it weighs 3lbs which is not a big deal for me since I don't carry mine around all day. The way I look at it:

IDX NP1 batteries 68wH (136wh for 2) = $217 each x 2 = $434

charger for IDX NP1 battery = $387

Total cost $821

PAG V mount Battery 125wH (4.5lbs) = $817

BP160 153wH battery = $200 http://www.bixnet.com/unpowbat.html

for the price it can't be beat

Hello guys!

As you can see I am a big fan of Tascam.I have four HDP2-one HSP82-M-208 mixer and just bought a DR-40.The last two years I am in love with HSP82.Very easy and flexible recorder with very clear preamps!

**I am waiting from Tascam (please Tom forward my wish ) to make me a gift-the DR-680. ::)

post-3008-0-97145600-1340448049.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys.

1. what about renaming metadata after recording?

2. is it possible to also only have a monotrack for your mixdown (9 tracks in all)

3. does anyone know, how good the metadatas work for e.g. pro tools or cubase?

thanks for your replies, Julian

hi guys.

1. what about renaming metadata after recording?

2. is it possible to also only have a monotrack for your mixdown (9 tracks in all)

3. does anyone know, how good the metadatas work for e.g. pro tools or cubase?

thanks for your replies, Julian

1. Take renaming (with iXML tag updating) is coming soon.

2. Mixdown is a stereo broadcast wave file only, the built in mixer has pans on all 8 channels, so you can just pan them all center and get the same audio in both sides.

3. iXML metadata shows up correctly in ProTools. Cubase writes iXML, but doesn't do much with it on import. Even Nuendo seems to be lacking, see: https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120160

Tom (TASCAM)

Thanks a lot, Tom!

this brings me one step further to buying this machine:-)

unfortunately, in Germany the price is still 5000 Euro.

I'm thinking of buying in America

renaming metadata is essential for me

beeing able to have just one monotrack for mixdown would be very cool btw, as two files might confuse the post guys

but I will have an external mixer anyway, so just 8 tracks and the first track will be my mixdown track