The Boom Caddy 5000

Whit Norris

Thought everyone might enjoy Doug Cameron's new boom caddy. He has had some down time between our projects. He wanted me to point out that this is not the 5.0 version but (WITH THE MONSTER TRUCK VOICE) THE BOOM CADDY 5000! Enjoy the pictures! Doug has had several versions over the last 12 years, always thinking ahead and alway with an umbrella for shade and rain protection, not just for him but also the poles and mics. Now it includes a full time seat and storage.

Cheers,

Whit

post-212-0-66492000-1335059809.jpg

post-212-0-77184600-1335059930.jpg

post-212-0-89501800-1335060050.jpg

Way to go Doug! That's a beauty. I really like the narrow case/drawer unit (but it looks a little heavy --- maybe it's just the "boiler plate" look). Umbrella is a great idea too.

Hey Jeff,

I have to speak for Doug here.. he leaves that up to me on JW sound. It is not as heavy as it looks. The hand trucks are very light weight. Notice that the trucks have the stair climber rail on the back. The box is a type of a boat box that he used. (He spends most of his time on his boat and with the family when he is not shooting). The drawers are plastic. It is well balanced. Looks much heavier than it is. Maybe next week we can weight it. Doug has had the same beach umbrella mount (and I mean the same one) on all of his caddies since we started working as a team. There are also some hooks that lock on for cables which were not in for the pictures. What I have always thought was a great feature on his caddies is that they always can carry multiple poles.

I am very glad that he has a seat. He is one of the unsung heros of the sound dept. Always on the set and never sits down all day long except for lunch. We are not as young as we were, glad he can get off off his feet now and then. I want him around on the team for years to come. Could not have a better friend or boom op.

Whit

That boom caddy looks marvelous. The seat addition must be invaluable.

The only questionable item is the flip-flops (i've seen a number of call sheets that specifically forbid them for health and safety reasons).

~Mark.

Hey Mark,

Doug had just driven in and was dropping off his caddy at the trailer. He does not wear flip-flops at work... Just after hours.

Whit

• 9 years later...
On 4/23/2012 at 4:24 PM, Mark Andrews said:

That boom caddy looks marvelous. The seat addition must be invaluable.

The only questionable item is the flip-flops (i've seen a number of call sheets that specifically forbid them for health and safety reasons).

~Mark.

Flip-flops are great way for the feet to uncompress after wearing shoes all day and anyway sometimes you got live on the edge a little :)