How to matte a new shiny Ambient boompole

Allen Williams

As you may know, Ambient changed the design of their QP line of boom poles last year from matte black coated carbon fiber to a shiny weave of carbon fiber. Since buying a new QP-4140 last year, I've run into a couple of problems with it reflecting bright light sources that hit it directly. Normally you can cross a bright light source as long as it doesn't cast a shadow into frame or change the light level but the new design reflects light so this isn't always possible.

In the attached pictures, there was a Source 4 to my right firing into the cabinet on the left and I was booming someone under it. If I were to barely break the beam of light, a ring of light reflected off the surface of the boom into the room which was very noticeable (pictured).

I called Ambient in Germany, asked numerous people on set, other fellow boom slingers and even posted in the jwsound Facebook group asking for ideas on how I can dull the surface of the boom but thought I'd try here too. Suggestions ranged from trying to sand the boom with 600 grain (after a lot of sanding with many pieces of sandpaper it took the shiny finish off it but the weave still reflects) and sanding it with #0000 steel wool (if it did anything, I couldn't see it) to the ridiculous such as wrapping it in paper tape.

If you have any thoughts or experience with such things, I'd appreciate the input. I'm hoping the solution isn't to pay to have it professionally matte painted with a non-chipping coating or something (if there is such a thing that would work) but I'll take the time to try a solution if might help. Obviously, I'm trying to not destroy the pole. Thanks, in advance, for your input.

post-4476-0-48493800-1335149731.jpg

post-4476-0-39680200-1335149741.jpg

There are some very fine (german made) sand papers I used to use when I made coper plate etchings. I forget the grit at the moment, but if I remember I'll post back. Anyways, but with such sandpaper I would then disassemble the pole and VERY CAREFULLY wet sand the tubes. However thats a permeant solution, and don't forget that epoxy you're sanding away has structural benefits. The base section of my pole has kind of worn matte from use. I would maybe carry around dulling spray, or hair spray that you could later clean off for specific scenes of shots. In the makeup kit I own, I have Loreal Elnett. It smells nice and cleans off with a paper towel if you spray it on a surface. Hope that helps. I'll try to find the sand paper.

Nothing special. the scotch brite does a good job of scuffing the surface evenly throughout. fine sand paper 600grit or so has worked for me too, but i liked the scotchbrite better, although honestly i can't remember exactly why. let me know how it goes, i've thought about doing the same to my ambient poles.

Send the pole back to Ambient and explain that it is not fit for purpose and ask them to replace it with one that is mat.But I think if you start sanding your boom pole that might invalidate your guarantee and you will end up with a boom that does not work..But that is just my thought on the matter.

Best of luck John

Send the pole back to Ambient and explain that it is not fit for purpose and ask them to replace it with one that is mat.But I think if you start sanding your boom pole that might invalidate your guarantee and you will end up with a boom that does not work..But that is just my thought on the matter.

Best of luck John

Although I agree that sanding may invalidate your warranty, I'm curious as to how you think it will stop the pole from functioning? We're not talking about removing much in the way if material, but merely scuffing the surface to reduce the shine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Although I agree that sanding may invalidate your warranty, I'm curious as to how you think it will stop the pole from functioning? We're not talking about removing much in the way if material, but merely scuffing the surface to reduce the shine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

If anything I guess it might effect the smoothness of collapsing and expanding the pole, maybe the collets will lock up? I doubt it will effect the structural integrity of the pole, so long as your not actually ripping fibers.

Yeh! I have the same pole but haven't encountered the reflection prolem yet. I'm pretty confident about giving it a wet and dry sand down, but I'd suggest any one going down this route, pull the whole thing down. I haven't pulled this one down but I'm guessing that they still use the old bushes which are the loop side of velcro. They slide really well and clean out easy if you get grit in there, but you wouldn't want fine dust in them.

Jerry.