Work Dreams

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I don't have bad dreams about production situations.

But every now and again, I'm back as a disk jockey in analog days... On the air. I look at the turntables and absolutely nothing is cued up. And no records stacked waiting to play.

This one keeps coming back. What's it mean, doctor? I should have never left radio? Or maybe I should have never been it it?

I have all kinds of weird dreams, but mostly related to college. What happens now is that I'll wake up in the middle of the night and go "oh, darn! I forgot to e-mail so and so", or some other random thing. Used to happen all the time when I sold gear.

When I have college related dreams they never involve email... oh, there wasn't any such thing as email then, maybe that's why. As for on the Topic, yes, I have work related dreams all the time, before every job, and it always tales the same form: I get to work late, they're calling for sound, I rush up to the sound cart just as they yell "roll sound" and when I look down at the equipment I don't even recognize anything! Looking for the RECORD button, wondering what the 2" wide green tape on weird spools is all about, etc., etc. The dreams have actually been updated to include starring at a screen full of menus and not even knowing where to begin. An extra feature of these dreams is that when I finally get everything up and running, everything fails!

Jim, a really good dream would be if you get credit in the main title...

Is this a purposeful reference to Jeff Wexler and Don Coufal on 'Being There'? Jeff has a good story about not seeing his name in the credits at the end of the movie. Not mine to repeat, but maybe I've said too much already.

I've had a dream where I'm in a production truck directing and switching the show, and none of the cameras are actually following the action or my direction, leaving me with no good shots to switch to. I say a few choice words to the crew over headsets and things shape up. After the show we have a crew meeting to discuss the show and all the camera ops are crying because I yelled at them.

I coulda sworn I was on this shoot in 1977!

My anxiety dream about work usually involves thinking we are shooting in my house and I am wondering around naked (sleepwalking) wondering where we will be shooting. I can't find my cart. Don't understand how we ended up shooting at my house that is up 40 stairs and I can't find my crew and don't want to wander around to find them as I'm naked and don't want to run into the rest of the crew naked.

At this point I start getting dressed and figure out that I am dreaming. I'm no longer pissed at my crew for not being able to find my cart and no longer worried about going onto the set naked.

Classic anxiety on so many levels

Make of that what you will but it happens a few times a year.

Oh, and everybody I know who's ever worked in radio has had nightmares about dead air. You look up, the meters are dead, you start hitting buttons, threading tape machines, cueing turntables (remember those?) and all that... nothing!

I think I had more anxiety working in live TV than anything. The first time I ever ran a live camera, the camera actually bumped up and down to my heartbeat, I was so nervous. Speaking of which, here's me, circa 1975, running camera for WTVT in Tampa...

post-261-0-01483900-1335757550.jpg

The other night I hAd a dream I was working with Wong Kar Wai (insanely good films... Chungking express is amazing). He turned out to be a pita, he actually punched and kicked people! So in the dream I and a bunch of people jumped him and put him up against the wall while he kept screaming " I'm wong Kar Wai!!!"

Dunno what it means...

(null)

• 4 weeks later...

Where to start. For me thr one that keeps me up oe wakes me up is the forgotten pice of critical gear. Wether it be the mixer,the np1 or my personal favorite the one where I open the cartons of pro cells for my wirelesses only to find them empty.

Couple that with the occasional early call where I packed the gear the night before only to have to stop halfway there because I got suddenly anxious that my trunk might have been robbed, and it makes for good times.

But that's nothing next to when I did live sports and would have nightmares where I was shooting on the sidelines only to look down and realize I was completely naked except for headset and camera.

Trll me doc does this make me a nutter?

Is that funny, or what? A good buddy of mine just sent me that pic a few weeks ago, and I fell down laughing. That was back in the days when I knew everything there was to know about television... :blink:

Now, almost 40 years ago, I realize I knew absolutely nothing then and know only slightly more now.

• 2 weeks later...

Once upon a time I did a job where I arrived at location, opened the boot/trunk of the car only to find it empty. I had left all the gear at home and the only equipment I had was a ten meter cable I carried down to the car with me. A broomstick some gaff and the camera mic and my cable got me through. My dream is opening the boot/trunk in ultra slow motion and reliving that moment of dread. Goes on forever...

Funny, I don't have bad dreams about production situations.

But every now and again, I'm back as a disk jockey in analog days... On the air. I look at the turntables and absolutely nothing is cued up. And no records stacked waiting to play.

This one keeps coming back. What's it mean, doctor? I should have never left radio? Or maybe I should have never been it it?

Boy Jay, I have had exactly that same dream and I haven't worked as a Radio DJ since 1975. I guess it is every Radio DJs nighmare.

I haven't had it in a while but it was a frequent nighmare in the 80s and even into the 90s.

But now today's Radio DJs probably have the night mare that the automation computer has the Blue screen of Death and the only thing they can do is open the mic and entertain the public while the machine takes forever to re-boot. Then crashes again... DOHhh

Once upon a time I did a job where I arrived at location, opened the boot/trunk of the car only to find it empty. I had left all the gear at home and the only equipment I had was a ten meter cable I carried down to the car with me. A broomstick some gaff and the camera mic and my cable got me through. My dream is opening the boot/trunk in ultra slow motion and reliving that moment of dread. Goes on forever...

Sorry mate I may have retold this story a few times since you first told it. A cautionary tale...

Opened cases thinking I had forgotten something specific/important to a job, only to realize later (after moment of panic) that I had packed it in a place I wouldn't forget, whilst in a half asleep mode of dread/diligent triple check... Now how many times can I hit the snooze button...

• 1 month later...

When I was doing a long stint as a PA, and had to wear an earpiece on-set, I started to dream hearing voices in one ear, well more accurately had a few dreams I remember this way - particuly odd since supposedly we don't hear in dreams. I found this quite disturbing, and wonder now if it had anything to do with the environment we were working in , it was rural and there was a lot of spray in the air - People were having issues with ecscma ( how the hell do you spell that? ) and chest/ear infections. However I haven't noticed the same thing after spending the last couple of years boom swinging wearing one side of my headphones.

eczema |ˈegzəmə; ˈeksə-; igˈzēmə|

noun

a medical condition in which patches of skin become rough and inflamed, with blisters that cause itching and bleeding, sometimes resulting from a reaction to irritation (eczematous dermatitis) but more typically having no obvious external cause.

DERIVATIVES

eczematous |igˈzemətəs; ikˈsem-; igˈzē-| adjective

ORIGIN mid 18th cent.: modern Latin, from Greek ekzema, from ekzein ‘boil over, break out,’ from ek- ‘out’ + zein ‘boil.’