From small cart to bag cart.

Kevin Sorensen

Kevin and I discussed this lightweight cart awhile back and I believe he used some variation on the Harper Nylon/Plastic cart (pictured below) There are several different cart styles from Harper. The peg board sheets (which have been cut up and modified) are from Home Depot as part of a shop peg board system. I built a similar cart to Kevin's (but it's not as nice).

post-1-0-73432300-1335463663.jpg

Hey Crew, its funny that you mention that, I think it was you who said that one's cart would go through many different configurations

during it's lifetime and to leave room for (that) flexibility. Or words to that effect.

I do have a place for a monitor, but I don't mind working without one as long as I can see the set. Could use a 24" high directors chair though...

That is a nice cart Kevin. Anything you'd do different now that you have it out working?

CrewC

If I had to to use this cart for an extended period of time, I would put these tires ( 10" 5/8" axel ) on it. they are from Filmtools in Burbank

and they are superior to any other tire/rim combo that I have found so far.

post-262-0-10933300-1335546927.jpg

• 6 years later...
On 4/27/2012 at 4:45 AM, Kevin Sorensen said:

post-262-0-38194400-1335459309.jpg

I like how you've got the shelves half sticking out the back as well, I'm sure that must help with the balance?

Hadn't considered that yet myself! I was just going to rely upon all the weight at the bottom to keep it steady. 

As I'm putting a bit of thought into making my own one based around a hand trolley:

1 hour ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

How does Doggo behave on a shoot? Or is the extra dialogue editing / paint out work a worthwhile compromise for getting the actresses support for the sound team?

Jez

He doesn't come with me, since Sebastian doesn't "do" quiet. I drop him at dog daycare on my way to the job!

On 8/16/2018 at 3:10 AM, Allen Rowand said:

Interested to see what you come up with. I'm planning my own handtruck build, but it has to fit in my compact car and still leave room for the dog. A micro cart…

There are a few hand trolleys which fold in half to be extra small (handy for car couriers in town) 

But it would require a bit more extra work to reassemble once on set. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

There are a few hand trolleys which fold in half to be extra small (handy for car couriers in town) 

But it would require a bit more extra work to reassemble once on set. 

I'm going to shorten a steel handtruck; my Pelican 1560 will be attached at the bottom, have a shelf for a small Pelican mic case, then a top shelf for the recorder bag. Putting quick fists on the back for my tripod and (eventually) boom.

Planning to grab the angle grinder and start cutting tomorrow morning before it gets hot. It's supposed to hit 92/33 degrees, not great for wearing heavy clothes and leather gloves.

And here's the (mostly) finished product:

IMG_20180823_195054.jpg

Don't mind the tripod head, fluid head will be here next week. Plenty of room left to add quick fists for stands and/or a boom:

IMG_20180823_195142.jpg

Really happy with the way the 3d printed tubing caps turned out. I also printed the shelf corner protectors.

IMG_20180823_195154.jpg

This should make my one man camera/audio gigs much easier to deal with, and the recorder bag is a good height for when I'm standing at the camera. She's not pretty, but for $100 all in (not including the Pelicans I already had) I can't complain much. Maybe some paint down the road, after I do a couple jobs and make sure I don't want to change anything.