Television Academy: (real) Internships

studiomprd

Just back from judging the largest ever group of applicants for ATAS's real, highly respected, paid internship program in SOUND, one of the 41 internships to be awarded for this summer. There were 1381 applications for the 41 internships.

Overall applications were also up this year, and making the selections was made difficult by numerous candidates showing strong interest and qualifications for being involved with "movie-television sound" for their careers..

I was pleased to note 3 of our jwsoundgroup family provided letters of recommendation for SOUND applicants, and these were given particular weight by the 8 of us reviewing the application packages; at least two of them moved on to the final step. We narrowed the field down to 4-5 finalists who will submit video interviews to the host (postproduction) sound company for the final selection.

Edited by studiomprd

OK, now on the waaaaaay other end of the spectrum, comes this:

(looking for experienced interns to teach?? on Craigslist .. :wacko: )

" The Hollywood Film School is looking for above and below the line professionals to train students during the preproduction, production, and postproduction of micro-budget feature-length films. These hybrid teaching and filmmaking positions provide opportunities for film professionals to develop or hone their teaching skills while earning professional screen credits on feature films released worldwide.

Our unique teaching methodology of training students while making actual feature films provides both students and Teacher-Filmmakers unprecedented learning, collaboration, and networking opportunities.

As a Teacher-Filmmaker for The Hollywood Film School you will not only teach and mentor our students, you will also head your department as either a Producer, Assistant Director, Director, Script Supervisor, Director of Photography, Gaffer, Production Sound Mixer, Production Designer, Costume Designer, or Editor on our feature films. We're also looking for teachers and guest speakers in Screenwriting, Acting, Film Financing, Marketing, and Distribution.

Compensation for these teaching and filmmaking positions include contingent deferred fees, possible net profit participation, screen credits, and, of course, great meals on set! And please, do not be put off or insulted by this compensation, as our school only charges $2,500 per quarter (barely enough to cover expenses) and our staff, including the founder/owner all work for no compensation, other than the love of making (or trying to make) good films and giving new filmmakers the opportunity to learn feature filmmaking by collaborating with Hollywood professionals.

Time Commitment: As our workshops consist of making a feature film per quarter, from preproduction to production, the time commitment is usually 12 weeks (8 weeks Preproduction, 4 weeks Production).

If interested, please submit your resume and/or an email detailing your experience, screen credits, and qualifications to: support@TheHollywoodFilmSchool.com

And to learn more about us, please visit www.TheHollywoodFilmSchool.com "

or, as I see it, this could this be some sort of a scam to not only get the "students" to pay to work on the movie, and have an experienced crew of "mentors" working for free (with great meals) as well to make theit movie (with possible deferred compensation/participation...Holy CRAP :wacko:

Edited by studiomprd

Doh, I saw that and thought, "somebody's gonna go to jail for this." Isn't this like an illegal Lottery or investment opportunity or Pyramid Scheme or something?

What poor schmuck is gonna work on a movie for two or three months for free, AND teach students at the same time? In exchange for what?

Hey Senator: I wonder if the infamous Dr. Wally is behind this...

And please' date=' do not be put off or insulted by this compensation...[/quote']

Too late, I'm insulted! Not even a Subway Tuna per day would placate me.

Somebody should call up the state Attorney General's office on this scam. Imagine if somebody ran a "contracting school" on this basis: "help learn on the job, build buildings, show up every day, pay us money, and we'll show you how to pour concrete, lift bricks, and hammer nails!"

Somebody should call up the state Attorney General's office on this scam. Imagine if somebody ran a "contracting school" on this basis: "help learn on the job, build buildings, show up every day, pay us money, and we'll show you how to pour concrete, lift bricks, and hammer nails!"

I do need a new shed...

That Hollywood Film School has updated their Craigslist ad, but it still seems that they need everything, leading me to ask: so what are "they" providing ??

Reply to: crewup@thehollywoodfilmschool.com

"Note: Before responding to this post, please be aware of the compensation offered (below), as this is an opportunity for professionals and semi-professionals to build their reels/resumes.

Micro-budget feature-length film production is now crewing up for mid-May preproduction and July shoot. Need Line Producer, 1st Assistant Director, Script Supervisor, Director of Photography, Gaffer, Production Sound Mixer, Production Designer, Costume Designer, and Editor. Also looking for Foreign Sales Rep for our slate of 6-8 pictures per year.

Qualifications: At least 2 years experience in your discipline, plus a desire or willingness to share your knowledge, as you will be also mentoring less experienced filmmakers during the making of this feature film.

Compensation for these positions may include deferred fees, net profits, screen credits (on imdb), meals, and copy of film, which will be distributed worldwide.

If interested, please submit your resume and/or an email detailing your experience, screen credits, and qualifications to: crewup@thehollywoodfilmschool.com

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
  • Compensation: Contingent deferred fees, possible net profit participation, screen credits

PostingID: 3001519683 "

• 9 months later...

please note:

The Television Academy Summer paid Internship program application deadline is 15 March.

Please make any students you know aware of this program.

http://www.emmysfoundation.org/internship-programs

and you might also mention this contest (also deadline 15 March)

http://www.emmysfoundation.org/college-television-awards-subway-fresh-artist-award

yes, an award sponsored by the official payroll of student movies!!

Edited by studiomprd

Sorry...

if " unpaid internships are "new" in the US " is what Vas means...

oh yes, there are plenty of unpaid internships, and a lot of them are quite legitimate; we've discussed this before, and there haseven been some recent news about the lawsuit filed by unpaid interns on the Fox movie Black Swan.

Paid or not, there are some legalities that include rules about what is legitimately an internship program.

The Television Academy has a program of paid summer internships (The non-profit Television Academy Foundation is the "employer".

International applications are accepted, and considered equally.

and there are hundreds of these interns working working successfully in the business, all the way from the bottom to the very top ranks!

Edited by studiomprd

Thanks Olle! You are correct.

The good news: and there are hundreds of these interns working working successfully in the business, all the way from the bottom to the very top ranks!

The bad news: Paid or not, there are some legal rules that include rules about what is legitimately an internship program.

1. The problem with what understand it's not from one side. The rule is "I get you (and not the word "will") for this project for X fixed rate". Right? I believe before someone to jump into the X project with X rate they put the signature on papers. If the employer doesn't pay the workers under the internship now the real problems it's starts.

2. That's the other side of the problem. Maybe this "X rate" is high for internship? I mean low workflow and high rate? If not now the second real problems start. Because one solution to solve this problem is lower rates with that workflow. Balance between with what he/she doing and what he/she paid.

3. Pay day is after the project or in the middle of project? If it's on the middle of production my next question (and I ask here the people) "why you are still working for this if you are not paid?"

I hope to get my point. I'm not attack the "diffence side" (the people who working under internships) but I can try both US or GR or other countries why some peoples still working unpaid.

Vas, I suspect you are including a lot more than legitimate interns in your thinking.

Internships are educational learning experiences, and, by definition, pretty much require a legitimate educational connection, yupically academic credit for legitimate students.  The rules governing interns also require that interns are not just low or unpaid trainees, but that they do not actually displace or replace actual employees and their jobs, but rather the interns are there to learn, and actively assist their mentors whether paid or unpaid.

a definition: "an advanced student or graduate usually in a professional field (as medicine or teaching) gaining supervised practical experience (as in a hospital or classroom) "

one issue we are experiencing is that in the USA legitimate internships are governed by federal and state laws and regulation, although in other jurisdiction they may not be.

excellent information: http://definitions.uslegal.com/i/internship/

of course a lot of this maybe different outside the USA

Edited by studiomprd

Just for clarification Mike, I'm with you that internships should be paid in one way or another. In Sweden it's near impossible to get an internship unless you're in an education of some sort. That way you get money from the state and the productions don't need to pay anything (since, over here, the state pays for most feature productions anyways..). 

Paid internships SHOULD be the norm. It might not be that way everywhere, but it should be. 

Slavery is not okay. Not even in the arts. 

I am not against all unpaid internships per se, but I am trying to point out that some solicitations for interns are not legitimate internships, but rather opportunists looking for free or cheap labor.

In fact I noticed this today...

It seems even our USA federal government may sometimes play fast and loose with its own requirements for "internships"

this is from an article about the USA government still hiring while fourghlouing existing employees during the current budget cutting theater of "sequestration".

" The Justice Department, which has issued furlough notices to 115,000 employees, had a handful of job openings, including one to hire “several” law librarians, with annual salaries up to $115,742, and another posting for a studenticon1.png intern to answer phone calls and sort documents for up to $18.97 an hour.... 

One decision agencies face is how to handle internships. A number of intern openings were posted Monday, with duties ranging from answering phones to taking part in intensive engineering programs.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/4/feds-keep-hiring-with-sequesters-in-place/?page=2#ixzz2MgPSXPJ9