Red Epic Sound Problems

The RED is a double system period if I am working with a RED your paying for timecode and double system. I treat anything I feed to the RED as Scratch Track ideally only use a IFB for scratch to make sure they don't use it. The return on every RED I have worked with is garbage and I don't listen to it. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael:

There are a number of issues pertaining to audio sync with the RED Epic. It would be helpful to know what version firmware was being used, the frame rate, and whether HDRx was on or off. Bottom line, any time I do a shoot with the Epic, the audio is just a scratch track. Simply too many issues to deal with, either with or without the PRI I/O module.

The audio return out of these cameras always sound lke garbage, no matter what you feed them, so it is impossible to judge whether there's an audio problem or not.

--S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zack,

So you have successfully jammed Nomad TC, via Zaxnet to ERX TCD, to a DRAGON?  If so, please supply which build versions on the Dragon.

Thank you very much

Fury

If I understand correctly, it should be no different jamming timecode to an Epic Dragon than to an Epic, as the difference between the two is the sensor in the camera, and not really the timecode mechanisms or the software (as much).

If so, then just make sure your settings are correct (using right frame rate and set to external TC), and that you are feeding at least a 1v TC signal to the 4-pin lemo connector via the ERX.

If I understand correctly, it should be no different jamming timecode to an Epic Dragon than to an Epic, as the difference between the two is the sensor in the camera, and not really the timecode mechanisms or the software (as much).

+1 The Dragon is just a sensor upgrade and some small software tweaks. Treat a Dragon as you would a Epic 

possibly the sergeant could explain what is being driven at..? an explanation of the query could prove valuable in eliciting helpful responses ...

you are welcome..?

Hi Hon. Mike,

Ah, you know that Fury is so enamoured of the socratic method.  It has been said that you and Fury are on a similar block/wavelength, but to be more direct, albeit against Fury's nature...here it is then...at least so far.

Ambient straight to Epic X, 2 Dragons (alternately), with Firmware - 5.1.34,.35 or .38 - TC green, first time/every time and runs fine.  Same result to Epic X, from Nomad's BNC to 4 pin Lemo.  ERX TCD, with either on board or Nomad TC, voltage varied 0.4-1.0-no joy on any of these cameras (new cable and TC definitely spitting out from ERX, as well as audio (Dragon receives audio fine).  No TC joy, on any variance with Dragons.  No gen lock attempted yet.  Nomad's version should have no relation here, but there must be a software Dragon build, from 5.1.34 and >, that does something differently vs. Epic X.  This was with and without Motion Mount.  At any rate, meeting RED head of engineering on this issue tomorrow and will report back.  VERY responsive crew that.  Well, nothing less should be expected.  Still, this was after 5 , on a Friday and tech was still working with The FURY, at RED.  If there is a successful Nomad to Dragon TC experience out there, the specifics would be of more than a modicum of value.

Shout out to Ryan at Trew audio as well-the production sound tech expert, still known as a prince.  Also to Howie at Zaxcom, who also pitched in, on a moment's notice, to assist in TCR (Time Code Resuscitation).

Thanking you very much

Fury

If so, then just make sure your settings are correct (using right frame rate and set to external TC), and that you are feeding at least a 1v TC signal to the 4-pin lemo connector via the ER

+1 The Dragon is just a sensor upgrade and some small software tweaks. Treat a Dragon as you would a Epic 

Hi Jose and Pro,

Please see above.  Much like a woman cameras seem to require slightly different "treatment...," depending.

Thank you very much

Fury

ERX TCD, with either on board or Nomad TC, voltage varied 0.4-1.0-no joy on any of these cameras (new cable and TC definitely spitting out from ERX, as well as audio (Dragon receives audio fine).

I would attempt raising voltage, maybe even up to 2v. Please let us know what your findings are after meeting the Head of Engineering over at RED.

Cheers,

José

I would attempt raising voltage, maybe even up to 2v. Please let us know what your findings are after meeting the Head of Engineering over at RED.

Cheers,

José

this is my experience with Reds.

I have had 2-5 cameras at the same time, consecutive serial numbers, same modules and upgrades. Most of the time cameras will jam at 1v but often they will not. Raising the voltage to 2v jams it. ERx has been an excellent tool with reds.

Just recently I rented my old denecke sb3 to put on a scarlet and it did not want to jam. I brought my newer sb3 and an erx. Newer sb3 jammed. Don't know if there is an actual difference.

I performed a very interesting test:

The older sb3 was not jamming the camera. I connected my erx at 2v and immediately jammed. The I disconnected the erx and put back the old denecke sb3 and it jammed as well. So it seams like the higher voltage on the erx "woke up" the time code electronics.

Very strange...

There must be some software issue, wrt the Dragon versions, as none of the versions available allowed the ERX TC to pass.  Took two Epics out and wouldn't take TC either (they were on 5.1.38).  Fury suggested roll back to a 4.X version (only available for EPIC X)...TC passes.  Upgrading EPIC X's to all the 5 versions thence allows TC to pass on those Epics.  No joy on Dragon however.  Nothing coming across from the 4 pin lemo (pin 3 hot).  In any case, had already tried the 2 volt settings-no responses, excepting the 4.X flash, as noted above.  After the Epic X's accepted time code, 0.4 also worked fine...

Now, the oscilloscope did show; less than  0.4 volts out, when ERX was a set to 0.4, approx. o.5 volts, when set to 1.0 volts and 1.0 volts, when set to 2.0 volts.  Mind you that was a fairly robust Motorola scope and repeated several times, after reboots.  

Some debugging next.  Would really be helpful, if anyone can document time code from Zaxcom to Dragon successfully.

Thanking you very much

Fury

• 3 weeks later...