Ktek 251 poles rattling

soundtrane

My otherwise wonderful 4 year old K251 poles have started rattling. Well maintained, clean and protected.

Brenda was very kind to have sent me some of those teflon adhesive backed strips about a year ago... I am wondering if replacing them will help alleviate the problem.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

-vin

Of course Senator, all efforts are going to be made to fix the problem.

I will be contacting Ktek as soon as I get back to Bombay where the teflon strips are lying, at home. Once i review what i have in hand, i will get in touch with Ktek. It does not make any sense to contact them now, since i am 9000 ft above sea level and about 2000 miles away from the possible fix.

And I would not mind hearing from other users their individual experiences in this regard.

-vin

Have they both (assumimg you have 2) started rattling at the same time? Suspiciuos...

I would check inside them to see if the camera dept hasn't dropped a little screw or something in there as a prank.

Like the old fly in the blimp trick, or recenlty I had cam dept let loose crickets in the studio, all funny till someone looses an eye!!

Hey Vin.

Can you describe the "rattle" in a little more detail? Is it happening where one section goes inside another? If so, a quick "solution" right now while you are away from home is to pull each section back a little bit from being fully extended. These leaves more graphite from one section down into the next largest section and helps temporarily solve the problem. Once you get back home, replacing the teflon tape will most likely solve you problem. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at:

dave at ktekbooms daht com

there..maybe spelling it like that will keep the spammers away?

Dave, thanks for chiming in, i was expecting you! :)

I almost always use the pole(s) without fully extending them.

If you have a specific method to replace the teflon tapes please send it to me at vinod@soundtrane.com.

The rattle (appears upon boom movement - pans and tilts) certainly seems from the inside of the locks - there seems to be a plastic locking ring inside - maybe one of them has become too loose or something. In any case, i will thoroughly investigate the issue once i am back home 6th morning onwards. I really need to get to the bottom of this soon. I'll also check on the teflon tape - whether i have both the white and the grey (which is on some of the sections if i remember correctly).

Many thanks Dave,

-vin

Boom pole sections need to be stabilised in two places to prevent them rattling. The forward position is at the collet, and the rear position is the tail-stock. It is the latter that can rattle against the tube it slides in. The tail-stock has to be loose enough to slide freely but tight enough to have no slop.

In cheap booms the tube sections are often not perfectly parallel and the tail-stock needs to have a lot of tolerance - they always rattle.

The K-Tek, being a good pole, has a shimming system to reduce the fit tolerance to near zero, but it will eventually wear. The shimming is Teflon tape, and replacing it it is a just case of dropping the tubes out by fully undoing the collets and fitting new tape to the requisite thickness. I think you'll find there is a forward tape to limit travel and a thicker back one which is the "rattle-remover".

The old Panamic pole used a screw-adjustable tail-stock, and other versions use Velcro tape, resin compound ground to size, O-rings and similar tricks.

Chris Woolf