Mixing to 3 Cameras from Nomad-6

Mike Wally

Hey guys,

Been having an awesome experience with my Nomad so far...but the time has come for me to do a 3-camera ENG shoot. I will be mixing into 3 Cameras (each with 2 XLR inputs)

Follow my logic for setting this up and please tell me if you would do anything different or have any insight/experience/advice.

I have 4 direct outputs. That's 2 breakaway cables, one to Camera A, and one to Camera B. I can monitor the return on 1/2, and 3/4 with the 5-pin adapter cables I have.

For camera 3, I would get the cable that goes 5-pin to XLR "Y" cable. Then use a typical breakaway cable to go to Camera C.

I don't see anything on the nomad that would allow me to monitor the return on 5/6.

Would it make more sense to use the tape-out for the 3rd camera so that I could monitor it that way?

Is there anything special I need to do in the Nomad's settings for like output settings?

I will be running a Boom and 2 lavs, possibly a 3rd if needed. I would want each camera to have the Boom track isolated, so I would set: Input 1 (L), And then Input 2, 3, 4 ®...which would make each camera receive the boom on track 1, and lavs mixed onto track 2. Does that make sense?

Nomad_Rightsm.jpg

Route cam 3 return audio to an unused XLR input. In the output and card mix routing matrices make sure this input is deselected so it is not output or recorded. Now select this input in the headphone monitoring matrix. Voilà, you have can 3 return audio.

Feel the Nomad love!

Route cam 3 return audio to an unused XLR input. In the output and card mix routing matrices make sure this input is deselected so it is not output or recorded. Now select this input in the headphone monitoring matrix. Voilà, you have can 3 return audio.

Feel the Nomad love!

What would you use cable wise? The return from a breakaway is typically an 1/8 inch aux cable, do I then convert that to a male XLR? Is that possible to do?

Also the Nomad has 6 outputs, 5&6 are on a ta5 connector, so you could have custom routing for each camera if you want.

As suggested, using your unused inputs 5&6 for return monitoring would be my preference, or you could monitor b&c cameras in mono to return 3&4.

Wandering Ear

Also the Nomad has 6 outputs, 5&6 are on a ta5 connector, so you could have custom routing for each camera if you want.

As suggested, using your unused inputs 5&6 for return monitoring would be my preference, or you could monitor b&c cameras in mono to return 3&4.

Wandering Ear

Yea, i was planning on using the ta5 for Camera C. Using inputs 5/6 seems to be the smart move here for monitoring.

Adapt the 1/8" return plug into XLR. 1/8" to RCA or 1/4" then into an XLR female RCA or 1/4". U can get the adapters at Radio Shack or better yet get Trew Audio's kitchen sink adapter kit for a buck fifty or so.

I'm sure pro-sound can hook me up. thank you for the recommendation!

You have four return inputs on two ta5s. So you can monitor two of the cameras in mono and one in two channel "stereo". You just need the appropriate adaptor cable.

I think i might do that. I'm ok with having B/C be mono. I just want to be able to easily toggle between each camera to check to make sure audio is good, but mostly i'd just monitor Camera A i think...

thank you everyone for the suggestions :)

It makes no sense doing that. However I have been asked to do it.

It makes sense if the audio is being used to sync the cameras to each other and they plan on using the camera mix. Although it'd be cheaper for production to have scratch track on the other two cameras instead of full quality recievers.

Wandering Ear

It makes sense if the audio is being used to sync the cameras to each other and they plan on using the camera mix. Although it'd be cheaper for production to have scratch track on the other two cameras instead of full quality recievers.

Wandering Ear

IFB scratch just as good for sync and cheaper then 3 Hops.

But If they are willing to pay for 3 hops what do I care...

It makes no sense doing that. However I have been asked to do it.

It makes complete sense to do this doesn't it? If you are sending the same mix to every camera as Mike said he was in the OP. (boom - L, wireless mix - R). Way less transmitter rf coming from the bag, less battery draw, less transmitters to fail/intermodulate, not to mention if you're hiring - less $. If the tx goes down you're recording on the nomad anyway. Can't imagine why you would run three separate TXs Rado?