Repairing Sony 7506 headphones

I have a pair of Sony 7506 headphones that developed a break partway down the cable. I have cut out the bad section and now need to splice back together the two cables.

There are two things I am confused about and wondering if anyone can shed some light.

1. The internal wires are colored and remind me of annodized aluminum. There is no jacket around each individual wire as they are each twisted around each other. This surprised me as I am used to dealing with separate wires each with jackets.

2. I can't get solder to adhere to the cable. I tried both a 15 and 25 watt iron with 62/32/2 rosin core solder. It just won't bond to the Sony wires.

Any suggestions?

There's a coating on the wires that needs to be cleaned off.

At the point where you wish to join the cables with solder, first carefully scrape the tiny wires (I did say, "carefully"), then burn the rest of the coating off with a match. Carefully clean off any carbon residue left from the match and twist the wires together and solder them.

Practice will help you with this, so if you have a section that'll no longer be used, practice with that.

A good description and explanation.

However, in general I've had the most success with the method I described earlier: Lightly scrape the strands, then a quick burn with a match. If the wires are going to a connector, I tin both the wires and the connector pads prior to soldering them together. If the wires are going to be connected to other wires (such as the o.p. described), I don't tin the wires first (as that makes them hard to twist and causes breakage), I just twist the wires together and solder, (after following the above-described preparation).

Practice, practice, practice and it becomes second nature.

This is what I was told by a reputable cable manufacturer. NEVER splice an audio cable together, except in extreme circumstances and only as a quick fix.

I know this is just for monitoring, but it's still important to have a good clean signal. There are too many instances where moisture, dirt, wear and tear, etc will eventually make it crackle and you'll wish you just replaced the entire cable in the first place. It always seems to break down right when you need it not to (Murphy's Law). John B has had some luck with it though. What's your secret, John?