Question for production sound mixers... [forging relationships]

cory

[if you think that I should post this in a different section, please let me know]

This question is more for people who are on-set only type folk...

How often do you find that production comes to you asking either for you personally to do the sound design and mix or for a recommendation from you for good people to go to?

If you are working on a union gig, does that mean that the post has to be union as well?

I do post audio at an independent sound house in NYC, and am trying to elevate the quality of movies that I am working on. I know that many of the folks on this forum are working on very interesting/quality content, but I had always assumed that the sound person wouldn't really be involved in the choosing post facilities process. Someone recently suggested to me otherwise. So even though I am a little skeptical...

Is anyone here interested in having me process/mix some of their work? I have some pretty heavy de-noise guns over here that may interest you.

I am looking to establish friendly relationships with top-notch location mixers [in NYC but also in other states] who would feel comfortable recommending me/my studio as a good post house (but obviously there'd have to be some getting to know each other)...

Thoughts?

In general, a production mixer has nothing to do with the hiring or recommending of post sound folks. There are very few who do both on larger projects. And yes, if it's a union show, post is union too.

It is more common for post sound folks to recommend a production mixer for future work.

My experience has been like RPSharman's.

We posties get to hear a lot of production sound, can tell when somethings been done very well, and can ask who did the location work. So producers ask who we like.

Production mixers, on the other hand, rarely get to hear what post contributes until it's in the theater... and by then, it's kind of hard to know who did what.

It's just a matter of stumbling on a small project that does well, or establishing a relationship with a producer or director early in their career who you might be able to move up with. Unfortunately, talent is only one small part of success.

How often do you find that production comes to you asking either for you personally to do the sound design and mix or for a recommendation from you for good people to go to?

So far, the producers I work with already have hired the editor and post staff before I'm hired, so they usually already have post sound people in place. But it never hurts to ask!

If you are working on a union gig, does that mean that the post has to be union as well?

I wish it did! I worked for both union and non-union post houses in LA, and it made no difference. We did huge IA union shows, while our own company(s) were non-union in most cases. There were efforts made to unionize -- I was part of a 695 organization at one company in the 1980s (which failed), and another with 700 in the late 1990s (which never even got off the ground) -- but fear stopped more people from wanting to participate.

I would say getting to know post people and offering your services for dialog clean-up and editing might be a possible foot in the door. Getting in the union could help open some doors, but that alone will not guarantee you work.

I am definitely interested in meeting some more posties, especially sound supervisors.

The post union stuff is a little confusing to me to be quite honest-- anyone know what the situation is in NYC?

" So would I as an individual join 700, or would I have my company join 700? "

one more time: the Union does not get you work!

people join labor unions, and companies sign contracts with them.

you will find a lot of information at the unions' web sites (IATSE, Editors Guild, etc.) you may contact them for more information and specific advice, but be warned: joining the IA is not inexpensive, and the IA does not get you jobs. just joining the IA does not get you work. There is also the issue of being (or gettin on) on the Roster

one more time: the Union does not get you work!

people join labor unions, and companies sign contracts with them.

you will find a lot of information at the unions' web sites (IATSE, Editors Guild, etc.) you may contact them for more information and specific advice, but be warned: joining the IA is not inexpensive, and the IA does not get you jobs. just joining the IA does not get you work. There is also the issue of being (or gettin on) on the Roster

Copy that.

I understand that union membership isn't a magic "automatically get tons of awesome work" thing. However, several people have asked me if I was in the union and I realized that I really don't know much about the NYC post sound union at all-- advantages and disadvantages. I'd love to hear the perspective of someone that is already in IA as sound designer...

Any people who work over at Sound One or C5 here on JW?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say that getting post work is definitely more about who you know than what you know, or what kind of gear/facility you have. Get to know some picture editors and Post Production Supervisors. That may help you land some work.

I've worked many union movies on the production side and then done some of the post audio work. So far, all of the post work has been non-union.

Mark O.

I have made great connections by working on short films. They have always led to future employment. Get involved with a short film festival. Talk to those folks. There are alot of filmakers who are also film technicians as well as prod managers, producers etc. and join the union. It can't hurt to have that behind your name. Some people will take you more seriously with the IATSE cred.

Good luck.