UCR211/UM200C vs. UCR 411a/UM400

saadasound

Still finding myself stuck with this decision. I've found used of both of these sets, but I can't decide which one to go with. Some of the ones I found were also 401's with an Sma.

I'm doing mostly corporate work, but I'm mixing a feature this coming July, so I'd to get something that can cover both types of jobs.

Any ideas????

I would definitely use the 400 series. I find that the 200 series sounds distincly worse.

Did an A B taste test the other day and was surprised to find that I like the sound quality of the Sennheiser g3s a little better than lectro 200 series (but lectro range is much much better than the sennheiser stuff...)

I used all the 200-series for years (201, 205, 210, 211) and generally liked them, but the 411 is a whole different breed. Far superior, in my opinion.

I also hated the "secret decoder ring" system for setting frequency on the xmitters and earlier receivers. The moment the SM-series transmitters came out, I was much happier. Hard to go back to the old style -- this was a big improvement in convenience and in quickly changing frequencies in difficult situations, especially with the remote.

I would definitely use the 400 series. I find that the 200 series sounds distincly worse.

Either the 200 series you used has a fault or you were using a lav mic wired for servo only with the 200 non servo input?

In what way was it distinctly worse? Hiss? Wrong lav wiring could certainly cause hiss.

Were you using a 201 receiver or a 211? The 211 would have better range.

I've said this before on this forum, I still reckon my UM200C/UCR211 sounds nicer, richer and warmer than my UM400/UCR411a.

Cheers

Mega

Either the 200 series you used has a fault or you were using a lav mic wired for servo only with the 200 non servo input?

In what way was it distinctly worse? Hiss? Wrong lav wiring could certainly cause hiss.

Were you using a 201 receiver or a 211? The 211 would have better range.

I've said this before on this forum, I still reckon my UM200C/UCR211 sounds nicer, richer and warmer than my UM400/UCR411a.

Cheers

Mega

I'm with you Peter. I have six 211 systems. They sound just fine to me. Especially after sending them in and getting all tweaked up.

Bernie

What, no mention of the fully digital options from Sabine wireless? (tongue firmly in cheek)

I have gotten some INSANE range from the Lectro 200 series, like as much as 1/4 mile on one set in what I would consider perfect conditions. For ease of use in scanning, reconfiguring and sleeping the transmitters - Gotta be the 400s and SM transmitters.

I honestly think your 200s might have had something wrong with them, the sound between the 200s and 400s I've used has been quite similar: phenomenal.

I happily use both 211/UM200C and 411/UM400 sets all the time. Both combinations are great IMHO. Technically, the 400 series are better, but sound/range-wise, there's not that big a difference.

In fact, some prefer the sound of the 200 series. I believe this has to do with the fact that the 400 series has a wider frequency response, which should be better, but also results in more perceived hiss (hence the added Smart Noise Reduction feature).

201, 401 don't have the tracking front end, but I have used them in the past without problems.

I have gotten some INSANE range from the Lectro 200 series, like as much as 1/4 mile on one set in what I would consider perfect conditions.

I had a situation a couple of years ago with a B-list actor who slipped off the set when I wasn't looking, wearing an SM I had fitted him with, and he rode down an elevator 6 stories in a downtown LA skyscraper, walked out the lobby, around the block, and got in his parked car and made a phone call. I put on my headphones and was shocked to notice I could hear him (about 2 bars of reception on the Venue, little or no dropouts on the walk). And this was in a modern steel-and-glass skyscraper. I didn't listen in, but it shows that sometimes, reception can surprise you.

Then again, I had situations where I had trouble getting 25 feet out of a Lectro 210 (surrounded by RFI and a chain-link fence). We got it to work, but it's dicey. RX antenna position makes a huge difference.

I really doubt anyone can hear a difference in quality between a 411 and 211 system.

I own both, but generally when looking for another system, I look for a 211 system first, for value reasons.

211's may be needing a tune up, cause theyre older but they are rock solid and my favorite value for performance and cost.

Dont go for the 201, 401 systems. Not worth the potential issues of lacking the front end filters. Even if you think it will only be used as a hop, you still want something that can be in your bag without hesitation.

I've read that ucr211/um200 systems may have better range. Possible, but there are so many variables out there I cant say for sure.

I'm with you Peter. I have six 211 systems. They sound just fine to me. Especially after sending them in and getting all tweaked up.

Bernie

I'm also with you. A lot of factors can make one system sound better than the other...but in a perfectly controlled experiment (both perfectly tuned, perfect proper lavs, same environmental situation, I would doubt theres a difference in quality that anyone would notice...at least anyone that employs you will notice. Ive never had an editor ask me "Hey, were you using that 211 system again?"

That being said, if its true that the range is better with a 211 system, (not saying it is, but Ive heard this) and if cost is an issue, I would prefer the 211 system with a fresh tune up. Use some of the the $ saved for this tune up, and put the rest of the $ saved towards other gear you may need.

Both the 200 and 400 series have variable filters in the audio path, i.e., Smart Noise Reduction. It is driven by audio level, times audio frequency, times RF level. This resulting level, sets the roll off frequency of a high frequency filter. Its attack time is very fast (less than a millisecond) so it can get out of the way of program material. It makes up for the absence of pre-emphasis/de-emphasis in the system. Pre-emphasis can remove noise but it causes high frequency overload in some systems that use it (the dreaded key test). A side benefit, is that SNR also reduces room noise and lavaliere hiss. If you are a golden eared purist and don't want the Lectro nerds fooling with the sound, on the 400 series you can switch it off.

Best Regards,

Larry F

Lectro

excuse my ignorance… but why to the older 211 systems need "tune ups" back at lectro? What are they actually doing to the units? did you tune up the TX and RX?

Just asking because I just brought a few UCR211D/UM200C systems (value reasons) that I haven't got hold of yet.

There is nothing that drifts. The service crew will install "necessary" updates if there were hardware or software bugs that were found after the units were built, sometimes well after. The rule of thumb is, if they are working well, use them and don't worry about oil changes or spark plug gaps.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

excuse my ignorance… but why to the older 211 systems need "tune ups" back at lectro? What are they actually doing to the units? did you tune up the TX and RX?

Just asking because I just brought a few UCR211D/UM200C systems (value reasons) that I haven't got hold of yet.

Nice advice on the UCR201 vs. the 211 from JonG on this previous discussion:

I agree with him: the 211 is better to me in terms of usability, antenna replacement, tracking front end, and so on. I believe the 201 was originally intended as a camera hop for ENG crews, and it worked very well doing that for many years. It's not optimal for bag or cart work, but I have used them before in a pinch, and they can work just fine.

" systems need "tune ups" back at lectro? "

there are lots of reasons why electronic equipment may need servicing over time. Sometimes components will vary over time, that is age, due to numerous possible factors, including temperatures, humidity 'exposure', etc. or possibly even vibrations or shock.

" point me to were I can read about them? "

web site, or <cap>