Great video

dfisk

Nice. What was this for? What mic?

Nicole

i wrote this for for a class that I teach. The mic was a Sanken CS-3e. One of my favorites!

Good work. But tell them to kill the HVAC next time. (On a long list of my pet peeves.)

Thanks. Unfortunately it was one of those buildings with the remotely computer controlled systems that takes 5 phone calls for authorization and trying to find someone who can actually turn it off, plus it turns the AC off in a large portion of the building, so they told us we had to deal with it. Kind of sucks for a video about sound, but you play the hand your dealt, I guess...

Very nicely done!

(Wouldn't be too hard to lower the HVAC level in post. Nicely steady, and voices (and paper sfx) riding above it. Kind of thing multiband expanders are good at.)

Yeah, our Cedar unit can take it right out - left it in to show the actual untouched audio :-)

Thanks for the compliment!

Oh, and I guess I should take this opportunity to introduce myself too!

Hi all, I've been lurking for a little while, can't believe I am only finding out about this forum just now. I must say I am loving it though, what a great resource and network.

Keep up the good work folks,

Chak

Clever idea. Its great cause its not like an boring instruction video but makes you understand by adding some story and jokes along with it, while also teaching and demonstrating an example of how dslr onboard mics don't do the trick.

Im gonna have to show this video off for some buddies of mine.

This is great! Very professional and almost corporate-video clean! The acting was also really corporate-commercial type which worked perfectly. It could have been 60 seconds shorter and just as effective but overall I thought it was totally awesome. I could see Leslie Nielson giving me stomach cramps on this kind of thing.

I must say, I wish there were a little more about getting good sound in it. It worked to emphasize the single point about booming, but it could have included one or two other super basic things. Like speaking up or turning off the air. The baffled dude could have started mumbling which would cause the main dude to give a condescending speech about how important it is. (Okayfine it wouldn't have to be condescending but in my movie it would be.)

(Begin slight rant) I'm so sick of "film" trained actors who think lowering their voice automatically makes their performance more intense. (End slight rant)

Another amazing depiction (that could be funny) is how much a wide & tight can be bad for sound, maybe using a split screen effect. It could be a giant full-room wide with a CU of two faces close togethe. One whispers something completely inaudible to the other and this causes a huge reaction, then they stop and look at the camera and ask if the audience, "Are you confused? That's because you only got sound from the wide, because we were framed out of the tight."

Off topic: I had a short film idea about the "Boom Olympics" mockumentary where we see boomers training in some sort of boom operator boot camp. Contests would be things like: gauging frame lines based on lense & camera movement; walk n talks: having to run forwards while booming backwards, under chandeliers & over a steadicam op, a grip, and an electric holding his own boom pole china ball; how long you can hold the pole totally, exactly straight, how fast/accurate can you "pole out" & land right over your actor; etc. If anyone wants to produce that idea you can have it, but please let me be involved!

A-hem - great video fellas!!

Dan Izen

" If anyone wants to produce that idea you can have it, but please let me be involved! "

sounds like you have several ideas.... now, you ought to follow through on them...

As for Colin's Video:

I like it short, sweet, one point exceptionally well made.

Hopefully, the first of a series..??

Edited by studiomprd

This is great! Very professional and almost corporate-video clean! The acting was also really corporate-commercial type which worked perfectly. It could have been 60 seconds shorter and just as effective but overall I thought it was totally awesome. I could see Leslie Nielson giving me stomach cramps on this kind of thing.

I must say, I wish there were a little more about getting good sound in it. It worked to emphasize the single point about booming, but it could have included one or two other super basic things. Like speaking up or turning off the air. The baffled dude could have started mumbling which would cause the main dude to give a condescending speech about how important it is. (Okayfine it wouldn't have to be condescending but in my movie it would be.)

(Begin slight rant) I'm so sick of "film" trained actors who think lowering their voice automatically makes their performance more intense. (End slight rant)

Another amazing depiction (that could be funny) is how much a wide & tight can be bad for sound, maybe using a split screen effect. It could be a giant full-room wide with a CU of two faces close togethe. One whispers something completely inaudible to the other and this causes a huge reaction, then they stop and look at the camera and ask if the audience, "Are you confused? That's because you only got sound from the wide, because we were framed out of the tight."

Off topic: I had a short film idea about the "Boom Olympics" mockumentary where we see boomers training in some sort of boom operator boot camp. Contests would be things like: gauging frame lines based on lense & camera movement; walk n talks: having to run forwards while booming backwards, under chandeliers & over a steadicam op, a grip, and an electric holding his own boom pole china ball; how long you can hold the pole totally, exactly straight, how fast/accurate can you "pole out" & land right over your actor; etc. If anyone wants to produce that idea you can have it, but please let me be involved!

A-hem - great video fellas!!

Dan Izen

+1

All that considered, a good video nonetheless. After all, how many of these are there to begin with?

RE: Boom Olympics - That's funny, and awesome at the same time.

Eh, if I'm going to bother with that I'll do horror comedy. Ideas come and go alla time, maybe someone else will have use for them.

I was thinking how funny it would be if during the split screen "Wide n Tight = Bad For Sound" video, after talking to the camera the actors separate and start gesticulating to emphasize the wide frame's usefulness, but that makes the tight camera lose them. The tight camera then just starts dizzily whizzing about trying to get a frame, then settling on someone nonchalantly eating off-stage or macking on an attractive PA or something funny.

Dan Izen

" If anyone wants to produce that idea you can have it, but please let me be involved! "

sounds like you have several ideas.... now, you ought to follow through on them...