Question for Petrol PS614 users...

JDirckze

In the spirit of the 'Lightweight Bag' I'm currently on a mission to cut some weight from my bag, swap out the 552 for my 302, and I was wandering if this would be a suitable bag for an SD302? I have both a Petrol Mixer bag and a Kata-4, but really dislike both of them.

I guess my main question is whether the 302 would sit nice and firmly in the bag, without moving around too much? Is there a system to hold the 302 in place?

Any user experience would be greatly appreciated. These new Petrol bags have not hit our shores just yet, and before I splash out on a new bag I want to make sure it will be suitable.

Cheers,

Jason

Sorry, off topic (and not really a question for you) but generally, and since youre thinking of replacing the 552, how does one go about mixing 5 channels on a 302? I know it's possible, but isn't it extremely awkward? I mean either you'd have a separate mixer like a mix pre or you'd have to use the knobs on the sides?

I don't see an advantage with that, even with the lighter frame...

I have a 614 for my Noamd, but think a 614 looks too bulky for a 302 with 2 or 3 wirelesses.

Thanks Filmsalang,

Would there be a way to hold the 302 firmly where your Nomad sits? I know the 614 may seem overkill for a 302 but the Petrol Mixer Bag for the 302 is nearly unusable for me, and at the moment I am using a small Eargonizer, so a 614 would be a weight of my shoulders... especially with a 302 in it

Sorry, off topic (and not really a question for you) but generally, and since youre thinking of replacing the 552, how does one go about mixing 5 channels on a 302? I know it's possible, but isn't it extremely awkward? I mean either you'd have a separate mixer like a mix pre or you'd have to use the knobs on the sides?

I don't see an advantage with that, even with the lighter frame...

Olle,

I won't be getting rid of my 552, but the show I'm on at the moment rarely calls for a 3rd, or even 4th radio mic, so I figured I'd dust off my 302 and shed some weight. I do have the CT Rx Emergency, so I would still have my 3rd wireless available if needed.

The thing I'll really miss will be the internal recorder on my 552. Even though I have a TC referenced recording via my TRX900AA/STA150 and QRX100 w/IFB, I still roll my 552's internal recorder as backup. I've had enough failures with my Zaxcom that I don't trust it anymore. I guess I'll have to if I ditch the 552 for my 302...

I see!

You could also get an h2n and go

Through the tape out to the h2n and record :)

True. And it would satisfy my gear addiction at the same time.

I have a Marantz PMD-620 lying around somewhere though, so no new recorders for me anytime soon.

:)

I used to use my 302 with an Eargonizer 1 bag and would secure the mixer in place using those plastic Rip-Ties on either side through the second D-ring on each side of the bag. Worked decently well and I also liked how cable connections were then protected inside the bag. This should work with the Petrol 614 too. You'll have to figure out what to do with the space underneath the mixer though as my setup at least left it sort of suspended and in need of some support or cushioning from underneath.. maybe the perfect spot for a Subway tuna?:)

Hope this helps.

Steve

I think the 614 is too big for your setup regarding size, however it's a fantastic bag in general, so I have a couple of thoughts that might aid you.

First, it's a great upgrade to a bag you dislike for when you do decide to use your 552. That's what I have in it now, and it's a great bag for it, plus plenty of room for a recorder and lots of wireless and hop options. Second, it's not very heavy, so if you have small stuff in the bag (302 & a couple wireless) the worst you'll get is that it looks a bit odd having such tiny equipment in it. That said, you'll have tons of room, even too much, for what you're carrying so you won't be cramped. Third, you can easily store a 302 in the bag with a bit of Velcro. All of the orange parts you see in the 614 are the 'female' side of Velcro, so the adhesive strips with the 'male' or 'hook' side of the Velcro strips will latch tight to any interior portion of the bag that is orange. With such a light mixer, you won't even need the provided supports that come with the bag. However, if you do decide to use the provided supports, you simply place them where you want, and then a small strip of Velcro on one side of the mixer will prevent lateral movement so it won't slip off of the supports. That's what I do with the 744t.

In general, it's a wonderful bag and I would say if you don't want to be cramped and you'd like a great option for your primary mixer then you should go for it.

I like to Velcro the RXs to the mixer. Sometimes with plexiglas pieces in there too. Make it all one solid brick, and you can Velcro that to the bag liner. Between Velcro and straps, you can make it secure.

I forgot to mention I had to Velcro the 302 and 411s as one block when my kata bag or they would have flopped all over the place, even when I wasn't running.

• 7 months later...