New Van

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" '65 Pontiac Catalina "

A Bonneville wagon was our family ride back then...

Ah, those oldies but goodies, and the mileage wasn't even that bad, as I recall, but of course the emissions...

If you got more than 10 mpg in that thing I'd be shocked. Most were 7 to 9 mpg. Had a mustang with a 289 and I was at the gas station everyday.

post-3086-0-47409500-1337548276.jpg

VW Kombi Van, 40mpg, feels and drives like a car, seats 6 and carries all your kit. What else do you need?

I had one of these in the UK,. Used it for 5 years and sorely miss the fact that I can't get one in the US. Please please VW sort your act out.

I think most Vans in the US are too bulky, have terrible fuel consumption and are not really thought out that well. The only company to start to change their thinking is Ford (Transit) and bless them for it!

It's more the Government that restricts which models can be sold here.

It's more the Government that restricts which models can be sold here.

It has always bugged me that they couldn't find a way to streamline standards. I know the govt line is that it is because of safety or some such nonsense but the european safety standards typically exceed ours by a good margin. To the point where if I am buying rock climbing gear I do not care about whatever american certifications they have it is the european one that is the gold standard. So if the standards are met or exceeded why can those vehicles not be streamlined into american markets?

I don't think that government regs are the reason they don't import those smaller vans etc into the USA. There aren't a lot of diffs in the safety and pollution standards between the USA and Eurozone anymore (many Chinese vehicles are a different matter). I think it's down to marketing, really, and how many they think they can sell here.

phil p

It looks like people are interested in why there is a variety of new multiple manufacturer / fuel efficient/ different/ stylish/ streamlined vans in Europe and not the United States. The reason is something called a "Chicken Tax" which is a trade tariff introduced by the US in the 60s. Huh??? To better explain, here is an accurate Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

The Ford Transit Connect I bought was built in Turkey, shipped to a distributor in Europe, imported back to the US by Ford but as a "passenger van". The seats and windows were "recycled" and the cargo van was sold to me by a dealership. Jumping through all those hoops is still cheaper for Ford than paying a 25% (per van) "Chicken Tax". It's because of the new demand for fuel efficient fleet vehicles from companies like ADT Security ect. It's pretty much thanks to them that I was able to get my hands on this van in the US. They drove up the demand for importation and other companies followed suit. The ironic part of this, is this tariff was put in place to protect American automakers but is indeed proving to be a hassle for Ford. If this tariff didn't exist, we would see a variety of cool cargo vans in the US. If not, I think other car companies will start following Ford and using the "passenger van" loophole.

-Devendra Cleary, CAS

The thing is its not just about them being able to import them there is also the thing where they manufacture completely different lines of vehicles parts etc. I like to think we consume enough vehicles in the country here that we should be able to build at least a portion of them. But it seems it would be cheaper in both europe and the us if companies did not have to design 2 different models of the same class of vehicle for sale on one side of the lake or the other. The same goes for the whole headache that goes along with parts distribution and inventory control.

So basically I have always wondered how much of it was the tariff and how much other factors.

" also not avail here. "

" I smell the stench of a bloated, over regulated government!! SHAME ON US!!!!! "

I smell the stench of a bloated, over regulating government!! SHAME ON US!!!!!

You are right, thank you for correcting that.

post-3086-0-47409500-1337548276.jpg

VW Kombi Van, 40mpg, feels and drives like a car, seats 6 and carries all your kit. What else do you need?

I had one of these in the UK,. Used it for 5 years and sorely miss the fact that I can't get one in the US. Please please VW sort your act out.

I think most Vans in the US are too bulky, have terrible fuel consumption and are not really thought out that well. The only company to start to change their thinking is Ford (Transit) and bless them for it!

Is that US gallons or Imperial?

D

• 2 months later...

It looks like people are interested in why there is a variety of new multiple manufacturer / fuel efficient/ different/ stylish/ streamlined vans in Europe and not the United States. The reason is something called a "Chicken Tax" which is a trade tariff introduced by the US in the 60s. Huh??? To better explain, here is an accurate Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

The Ford Transit Connect I bought was built in Turkey, shipped to a distributor in Europe, imported back to the US by Ford but as a "passenger van". The seats and windows were "recycled" and the cargo van was sold to me by a dealership. Jumping through all those hoops is still cheaper for Ford than paying a 25% (per van) "Chicken Tax". It's because of the new demand for fuel efficient fleet vehicles from companies like ADT Security ect. It's pretty much thanks to them that I was able to get my hands on this van in the US. They drove up the demand for importation and other companies followed suit. The ironic part of this, is this tariff was put in place to protect American automakers but is indeed proving to be a hassle for Ford. If this tariff didn't exist, we would see a variety of cool cargo vans in the US. If not, I think other car companies will start following Ford and using the "passenger van" loophole.

-Devendra Cleary, CAS

Fascinating