Handheld Mic Advice

Rachel Cameron

Most people like Rachel and me do not need to use the newest lectro wireless.

I Have never had any client request for any type of mic at all, EVER. Much less a wireless handheld WITHOUT a plug-on Transmitter.

A handheld mic and Lectro plug-on tx is much more useful to me.

Senator, can you give your opinion more on the difference of the re50 and the beyer58?

MY OPINION:

I would hesitate to pound nails with the Beyer!

In a hurricane, I'd need a foam windscreen with the Beyer.

The Beyer being a bit longer might be better for interviewer holding the mic out from just off camera toward the OC interviewee...

In my cans, the Beyer sounds a bit brighter, but not noticeable on the edited piece.. BTW, the RE50/n-dym also sounds a bit brighter, and is a bit hotter than the standard RE-50.

If you want to look "the same", the RE-50 is the same, the Beyer looks "different".

Both are EXCELLENT

I have found that if you connect a regular "old-school" dynamic mike to the UH or HM Lectro plug-ons, you have to crank up the input gain quite a bit (like all the way). With the NeoDym mikes, you have quite a bit more output. But the old RE50s are widely available cheap. I bought a couple for next to dirt on eBay, sent them to EV for refurbishing, and they came back looking brand-spanking new. For all I know, they swapped them out for new ones. Sound great -- albeit low, as you would expect from a conventional dynamic. But it is the classic handheld news interview mike.

I agree

the re-50 is very durable. Beyer maybe not so much.

My friend uses the n-dym alot for public radio interviews. He loves it. If I got a re50, I would prob go for the regular version though.

Thanks,

Matt

Why would you go for the regular version?

I tried the regular re50 with my hm and it left me wanting more gain, so I ordered a ndym version.

Wandering Ear

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a 635 since the dawn of time, and it has its uses, but most of the use I've had for a handheld as been for "man on the street" interviews (sometimes with the mic going thru a live PA as well) in noisy situations where a directional mic can help a lot. Mics made for handheld PA use (by singers etc) have pretty low handling noise anymore, and I had much better luck with SM58, Beta 58, EV 767 etc for this. I generally tell the "reporter" to keep the mic on the talent--I usually have them on a wireless lav. VERY few "presenter" or "reporter" talent actually know how to work a handheld mic back and forth between themselves and a "guest" anymore, let alone multiple guests, so I prefer that they use the handheld for the guests only. Years ago I made a series of "man on the street" spots with the legendary Mal Sharpe--he worked a handheld with as many as 5 guests and himself and essentially "mixed" the audio perfectly that way, off a single mic (an omni, at his request), with no monitoring. Ah, experience.

phil p