Rates

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with BECTU, they want the industry to treat sound the same as camera in terms of pay equalitity, The Boom operator should be level with the focus puller and the mixer should be level with the camera op.

The minimum weekly rate for boom op on a low budget feature (which they consider 10million or less) should be 800 a week and for the mixer it should be 1200

I recently finished a documentary at 275 a day

*EDIT* actually just seen the 2012 rates they are slightly higher I quoted last year will post up new ones later

The parity you quote has been part of the British rates of pay since I came into the business in 1959 and used to be strictly adhered to.

The snag has been that this parity has been eroded by people who needing to pay the mortgage, eat etc have done the job for much less and of course in time this lower rate becomes the norm.

You quote that you have been paid £275 per day on a documentary. This is about £44 less than the Bectu recommended minimum and seems very low especially as I frequently read that members of the Institute of Professional Sound usually get £350 per day for the work that you quoted.

No Doubt SB will be along in a minute to put me right.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.