SD302 Mix Out Question

OmahaAudio

I'm currently using the "Tape Out / Mix Out" TA3 output on a SD302 to go into the right/left XLR inputs of a recorder. This leaves the main XLR outputs free for a breakaway cable to go into a camera.

If I'm not going wired into a camera would there be any benefit, sound-wise or level-wise, to using the mixer's main XLR outputs to feed the recorder? As it's only an 18 inch TA3-to-recorder run I can't see how but there are many people here smarter about this stuff than I am.

Sort of "what he said"... But why use the XLR outs for normal recording? Tradition? Better audio?

because the xlrs are balanced and sending audio to a recorder is what they were meant to do. tape out is meant for a backup or perhaps IFB I believe. so why risk it? output level is also adjustable on the XLRs if you need to swap recorders for some reason.

because the xlrs are balanced and sending audio to a recorder is what they were meant to do. tape out is meant for a backup or perhaps IFB I believe. so why risk it? output level is also adjustable on the XLRs if you need to swap recorders for some reason.

A balanced output is usually meant for a long cable run, 18 inches? Not a long run. Output level (adjusted) should be the same between the SD302's TA3 output and its XLR output. So is there any real world difference in the quality of the audio between the two given the 18 inch cable length?

I think balanced input to cheap recorders is counterproductive, as it requires additional active circuitry to unbalance that signal, and often times it will be the cheapest method possible, or perhaps even simply grounding the negative phase, which effectively is an unbalanced signal to begin with. Perhaps do a test and measure the quantitative difference, in this case, a change in the noise floor... which will likely be insignificant or unmeasurable if the equipment is competent. I doubt that there would be a qualitative difference, other than the possible noise floor difference.

From 302 manual page 12

The Tape Output is typically used to interface with consumer inputs such as MiniDisc, DAT, and compact cassette recorders. The 302 has an unbalanced, two-channel tape level output

on a single, locking Switchcraft TA3M-type connector.

The Tape Output program is identical to the XLR Output. Tape Out level is fixed at a -15 dBu nominal level and is electrically isolated from the XLR Outputs. Additionally, the Tape Output functions as the Mix Out to link multiple Sound Devices mixers.

For a short cable run (and 18" is definitely a short cable run), balanced or unbalanced makes little difference and the higher impedance of the tape out is of little consequence. For long cable runs both of these issues makes a difference.

The 302 tape out will work fine into a recorder as long as the recorder's input impedance is 6k ohms or greater and the levels work okay.

As a matter of fact, if you're using a consumer-type recorder, the ouput level of the tape out may be better matched than the main (XLR) outputs. If a consumer-type recorder has a gain stage prior to the input potentiometer, a full, professional line level output might overload it on peaks.

You don't need to worry about sending the TAPE output of a 302 to a recorder of any level of quality. The OP's method of using the tape out to feed a "local" recorder (short lines, in the bag) and saving the XLR balanced outs for a camera feed is a very good idea, and saves a messy Y cable scrum with lots of XLR "joins" involved. With my recorders I've just gained up the recorder input to get the levels where I wanted them from the 302--this was the recommendation I got from Sound Devices, has worked great w/ SD, Tascam, Zoom etc etc machines--no diff in audio quality at all. Save your Ys for feeding 2 cameras.

phil p

Using the Tape-out with a DR-40 or 100mkII, it may be difficult to get adequate levels using the XLR input since there's a level mismatch -15dB > +4dB (usually no problem for back-up though) In that case I'll use a 1/8" input if the recorder has one, (the DR-40 does not) or use a recorder that does. I carry an H2 around, since it's small and makes a good low cost back-up for the other low cost back-up.

The tape out is for prosumer and consumer recorders -----you should use that. Y cables can cause load problems potentially and distortion.With the 302 mixer it probably won't be a problem but it's a bad habit to get into.

J.D.