Nomad issues - role call?

bendybones

I have just been told my Nomad 8 is available and so I would like to check where we are at with some of the issues that people have had.

1) button battery (causing clock to lose time)

2) volume knob not working

3) faulty power switch

4) phantom hot plugging issue

5) inconsistent powering on

6) clock drift when powered off

7) Power cycle canceling mirroring

8] mirroring inconsistency ()

If I can get the serial number of my Nomad from the shop, would it be possible for Zaxcom to confirm if it is from a batch which suffered hardware issues?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand Jeff's frustration when he says that this is not a manufacturer's support group.

I feel that the answers I am looking for would be of benefit to other users in the near future.

(Particularly those who would rather not make calls outside of their content unnecessarily.)

I would have thought that was the point of a forum.

I have just been told my Nomad 8 is available and so I would like to check where we are at with some of the issues that people have had.

3) faulty power switch

If I can get the serial number of my Nomad from the shop, would it be possible for Zaxcom to confirm if it is from a batch which suffered hardware issues?

have you looked at the readme file that comes with the firmware that tells you the version history? issues 6-8 have been fixed some of them quite a few revisions ago.

other things were addressed in all the threads that brought them up. if you have a new unit, then you should have the latest hardware - i dont get the impression that zaxcom are stockpiling the nomad before shipping them.

who are you getting your nomad from? can they not tell you this?

I've had the mirroring setting not stick issue but that is long gone due to revised firmware. My #33 has been in constant service since delivery in November. It replaced a 442/744t combo and I would never go back. The matrix mixing and output routing options alone make the Nomad far superior to the other in-bag options.

I feel that the answers I am looking for would be of benefit to other users in the near future. (Particularly those who would rather not make calls outside of their content unnecessarily.) I would have thought that was the point of a forum.

http://www.zaxcom.com/forum/

Bendybones, go ahead and ask your questions on this forum. For some reason a few people feel it important to be self appointed moderators. I'm in the market for a Nomad and gain info from questions like yours.

OTOH, I guess this means that thesoundguy will never ask another question about Zaxcom products (or any other product for that matter) on this website.

If I do have a question about a specific piece of gear, and specific issues with a piece of gear, you can bet that I will not post it here. I will ask the manufacturer.

The manufacture has 100% accurate answers rather than hearsay and rumors. They also have dedicated channels specifically designed to answer these questions.

+2

If someone has an issue with a piece of gear and the solution gets posted here, we all benefit. If that same someone calls the manufacturer and gets the answer over the phone/by email, one person benefits.

The raison d'être of a discussion group is the sharing of information.

The manufacture has 100% accurate answers rather than hearsay and rumors. They also have dedicated channels specifically designed to answer these questions.

Oh really? I guess you've never work with a Red before.

Manufactures release products all the time with bugs present that they have no idea about until an end user discovers them.

Red denies any fallibility. They are perfect in their eyes.

If I do have a question about a specific piece of gear, and specific issues with a piece of gear, you can bet that I will not post it here. I will ask the manufacturer.

I can't wait to hold you to this one.

3) faulty power switch

Dont have any of your issues. I had the broken power switch that was repaired from Zaxcom.

I have RF garbage issues with it.

There is an option in Mirror menu to keep mirror settings after reboot.

The problem with some manufacturers is that they are biased (or in denial), and not necessarily fully informed on the actual performance of their products in the field (or...in denial)

+1

for known issues like the ones above the manufacturer is the place to ask.

For unknown issues and new issues, the manufacturer is the place to ask.

Why would you come to a site not associated with the company to ask about issues with their product?

I have none of these issues either (was freezing, fixed long ago woth firmware). Got it in january.

The only issue i have with my zaxcom products is how soft the plastic covering the screen is. One wipe with your finger to clear dust or sand and a million hairline scratches (only had to make this mistake once, the first day i used it on a shoot). If you get one olease cut out like a smartphone screen protector and stick it on first.

I would like to say this is something you would probably not find out about by calling the manufacturer and asking " give me a rundown of all your products shortcomings". So i support asking end user their experience with specific products.

for known issues like the ones above the manufacturer is the place to ask.

AGREED

For unknown issues and new issues, the manufacturer is the place to ask.

DISAGREE, unless you agree that companies release their products knowing all of the existing issues...not likely. Of course, letting them know is probably a good idea! :)

Why would you come to a site not associated with the company to ask about issues with their product?

Absolutely agree.

My Nomad screen looks like crap. The same plastic on my SRa does not have a single scratch.

I spoke to Glenn about it and he said the plastic screen will not be upgraded to a better one.

He did not even want to see how much damage my Nomad screen has. I had it in my bag pack.

Not to mention it is next to impossible to read the screen outdoors on a sunny day.

So the bottom line is replace the screen "It cost $100" , put a protector on it and try to work indoors as much as possible.

;D

I have none of these issues either (was freezing, fixed long ago woth firmware). Got it in january.

The only issue i have with my zaxcom products is how soft the plastic covering the screen is. One wipe with your finger to clear dust or sand and a million hairline scratches (only had to make this mistake once, the first day i used it on a shoot). If you get one olease cut out like a smartphone screen protector and stick it on first.

I would like to say this is something you would probably not find out about by calling the manufacturer and asking " give me a rundown of all your products shortcomings". So i support asking end user their experience with specific products.

I received my Nomad in February and it had problems 1, 3, & 4. I fixed the watch battery problem by thoroughly cleaning the battery, which had a tiny bit of sticky residue on it.

I sent the unit in to Zaxcom to repair the power switch and DC offset voltage issues (due to plugging/unplugging phantom powered mics). It was repaired quickly without charge.

I'm now really enjoying my Nomad.

Mark O.

3) faulty power switch

1 and 3 was present only in a handful of units - and was essentially traced back to faulty parts from the supplier and has be rectified.

2 was never an issue - not quite sure what information you got.

4 was resolved several weeks back with a simple input board mod.

5-8 have been addressed with software updates quite some time ago.