Drilling and riveting aluminum for rack mount.

Jason A

I'm finally getting a chance to update my cart which will involve getting some aluminum drawers. Since I'm going to change up the size etc. the existing rack mount holes won't work. Wondering if anyone has gone through the process of mounting these rivets in aluminum themselves, or is it best to take to a machine shop.

post-1206-0-53207300-1337132336.jpg

Here are a few more pics. Hope that helps. I'm just wondering if it will require purchasing a pressure rivet gun, or something less expensive like a hand riveter. Sounds like mpsanos has had success with less heavy duty approach.

post-1206-0-06411400-1337139337.jpg

post-1206-0-56508700-1337139356.jpg

post-1206-0-64605700-1337139366.jpg

Well it looks like drilling new holes and using a simple bolt and nut with nylon insert. A pop rivet would eventually loosen and fall out with all the movement that drawers going to cause.

Your old holes look to have a threaded nut thingy welded on to the back. It's nice but not necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do want this to be secure enough to mount a Meon battery to and load unload from the van etc. I'll do some searches for the hardware your talking about. I'm guessing the nylon insert comes in various hole diameters and thread types.

Well it looks like drilling new holes and using a simple bolt and nut with nylon insert. A pop rivet would eventually loosen and fall out with all the movement that drawers going to cause.

Your old holes look to have a threaded nut thingy welded on to the back. It's nice but not necessary.

As Mirror had said it may just be easier to use nuts and bolts. Rivets are nice but the size you need requires purchasing a heavy duty rivet gun. Also, if you ever want to change out the drawers you will have to drill out the rivets instead of just being able to unscrew a bolt. You can still do it if you have your heart set on it but if you want something a lot easier/cheaper to assemble then just go the nut/bolt route. Aluminum is soft enough so you can use most drill bits to make new holes.

I'm guessing the nylon insert comes in various hole diameters and thread types.

I believe he is referring to self locking nuts. They have a piece of nylon inside of them so that they don't vibrate loose. You can also get by with lock washers. Most of this stuff can be found at your big box home improvement stores (Lowes, HD). They sell small sets of screws, nuts, bolts, etc. for only 99 cents. If it were me I would just drill new holes and tap them so that you can re-use standard rack mount bolts and unscrew them from the front.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do want this to be secure enough to mount a Meon battery to and load unload from the van etc. I'll do some searches for the hardware your talking about. I'm guessing the nylon insert comes in various hole diameters and thread types.

http://www.apexfaste...b04165098af608b

The nut with nylon insert can be found anywhere you buy bolts. The nylon keeps the nut from jiggling loose, works like a lock washer.

Please don't make me explain what a bolt is.

Whoops, I see that Michael has beat me to the punch.

I was reading way more into your suggestion than was needed. For some reason I was picturing the the bolt being permanently mounted to the frame to provide the threading for the mounting screw. That's why I asked about the threading size.

This sounds like a great way to go. Easy and inexpensive. The only reason why I didn't consider it in the first place was my concern that the aluminum wouldn't be sturdy enough to handle the load and/or the threading would strip over time.

Thanks again for the advice.

http://www.apexfaste...b04165098af608b

The nut with nylon insert can be found anywhere you buy bolts. The nylon keeps the nut from jiggling loose, works like a lock washer.

Please don't make me explain what a bolt is.

Whoops, I see that Michael has beat me to the punch.

You might want to try a "Drilltap" Just use a battery drill on LOW speed and you'll get a 10/32 taped hole in one shot. On Amazon lookup "greenlee DTAP10-32". Don't force it just let it do all the work, use them all the time.

This might be a good way to go as the aluminum in your picture looks thick enough to put a good number of threads into. If it does not work out just drill out the threads and go with the bolt/nut deal.