Starting out as a freelancer

Tambongo

Hello!

Im Anders from Norway, and Im about to finish filmschool in about a month or so, and my plan is to start out as a freelancer. Im pritty curious to how it will work out, because Im done with the education system, and not very keen on doing some dead-end unskilled job for the rest of my life.

Im lucky to have a family that will help me finance an zaxcom nomad, a ntg 3 and a couple of lavs. Im about to take the step into an uncertain future, so Im hoping to get some advice from you people.Because I dont have alot of experience, do you think its a good idea to start with a low price to get experience and a network? Any general advice on how to get a foot in the door as a newbie?

Hmm... this seems backwards to me, to buy the equipment and then hope that the work comes. Although I can understand your wanting to take advantage of a generous offer from you family to finance your equipment, maybe you want to wait to see what type of jobs you can get first? If you don't have access to rental gear or are really sure that you need your own equipment, really carefully consider the purchase of Nomad, which must be very expensive over there, and balance that against getting something like a lower end analog mixer. Maybe you'll find that your first job is as a sound utility tech or boom operator, in which case you don't need to bring that type of equipment with you, or find that you end up working in a studio doing post... or something entirely different. I just worked for a production called Alt for Norge, and I know that they are starting or have already started shooting the main episodes in Norway, so maybe find out who is doing that and see if they are hiring?...

There are quite a few long and well-discussed threads on this board addressing exactly what you are asking. Check out the other topics, do some searching, etc. You'll find a wealth of information and a broad spectrum of opinions.

And, what they said: Work first, then buy. Also, don't offer low rates. All the reasons why this will hurt your career, are discussed in depth on several other threads.

Rent a equipment, try different equipment, work as utility, work as boom operator and then work and buy equipment as freelance. That's my opinion. I'm 24 years old and now working as boom operator and utility.

And keep in mind this (from John Blankenship): Work first, then buy. Also, don't offer low rates.

Good luck!

Vasileios

We had a saying in Professional Paintball, All the Gear and No Idea. You would see kids turn up at the tournaments with all the brand new shiny gear just out of the box and they get destroyed when the the event started.

Its the same in this industry I was one of them. I bought a Sound Devices 552 before I finished University, an expensive investment from my Dad, probably a waste of money considering I had never did any work outside of Uni. Film school did not teach me anything worth while if I am honest the first time I stepped on set as a trainee I was completely lost and it took me about 2 weeks before I was confident even booming.

Now I have had a good few jobs as a trainee and a boom op and I learnt a lot from some brilliant mixers only recently I have started doing short films and a few documentaries as a mixer. All the kit I have bought I have done so because I have been in a situation where I have needed it, So I recently purchased a six track nomad because I needed that many tracks and at one stage on a doc I could have used an automixer (I know its not implemented yet) but take if from me buying all the gear and never having used or needed to use it is a complete waste of money. It was a long time before I made the money back on that 552

No one college or university to teach you or learn about mixing or booming in production.

Who to set up wireless. About shotguns. About Nomad or 552 or something else.

About lavaliers. About camera hop. About timecode. About sound carts etc etc..

Get your feet wet first. Working on school projects is a bit different then the real world. You may realize that this type of job isn't what you really want to do. If so, then the equipment purchase is a waste of money, however I'm sure someone here would be happy to take it off your hands if you change your mind.

I've seen plenty of people go into the film business with hopes of doing one job but end up falling in love with another. Before I was a soundie I was wanting to work camera, just like everyone else and their mother. I sort of fell into sound and have really enjoyed the ride thus far!

I've seen plenty of people go into the film business with hopes of doing one job but end up falling in love with another. Before I was a soundie I was wanting to work camera, just like everyone else and their mother. I sort of fell into sound and have really enjoyed the ride thus far!

+1

When I went to film school I wanted to be an editor