COS11 gone "dumb"

soundtrane

Hi,

Strangely, 4 of my COS11s (not the D) all 5 years old have lost crispiness and sound "dumb"...

All have been taken care of very well, and were last used on a gig about 8 months ago when they sounded fine.

I have a brand new pair of COS11s which are also about 4 years old, but never used, stayed in the plastic cover and carton. Checking the older used ones against these clearly showed a pronounced loss of HF and definition.

Has anyone else experienced this - maybe age-related deterioration? All four of them! :~(

(I am quite sure there is no physical debris on the wire mesh cap.)

-vin

I have found that as much as I love these mics, they have a definite

life period. After about 4 or 5 years they start to just sound dead. I

was not sure if it was all the athletes trying to rip the mics off before

I could get to them or what was causing it? Still my favorite mic for

size and sound when hidden under clothes. I have just accepted

that they are only good for their time and then they need to retire.

Every lav I've ever bought gets more "rolled-off" and dull over time, all major brands. I try to go through all of them and weed out the dull ones, but once in awhile, one slips through. Makes me crazy.

Dunno if it's dirt, sweat, electret charges, or phases of the moon. As The Senator has said on occasion, "lav mikes are expendables" and have to be replaced on occasion.

Ok, i've done it - ordered 4 x 4071 DPAs. With the 3056 Microdot to TA5F adapters. I am hoping they will work well with my LM and UM transmitters... Fingers crossed...

-vin

Is it possible to have them wired for Lectro rather than use the adapters?

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mu24nt

Ok, i've done it - ordered 4 x 4071 DPAs. With the 3056 Microdot to TA5F adapters. I am hoping they will work well with my LM and UM transmitters... Fingers crossed...

-vin

Frequency Responce: 100Hz - 15kHz

I hope the voice not be heard like a Sennheiser lavaliers.

Let's see. Personally wait your responce about Lectro and 4071 opinion.

Could it maybe have to do with the wiring differences of the old and new lectro wiring methods and/or the different transmitter used? I hope that my cos-11 doesnt go dull after 4 or 5 years. For the amount I paid for it, I do not consider it an expendable. Have you asked your local Sanken dealer about this problem?

same experience with rental cos-11 that lost definition in the highs.

I got the DPA 4060 (or was it 4061?) for my micron wireless as I was afraid of loosing bass on 4071. Couldn't do a test to compare to 4071 before ordering but I am quite happy with them. Mixes very well with CMIT on boom.

I ended up ordering 4063 DPAs instead of the 4071. Now reading what Larry has written, I have asked DPA about this, and if it is true, i would very much like to have my 4063s wired for the Lectros - the universal wiring for servo and non -servo inputs, since I still use some LM and UM transmitters.

I'm really hoping DPA responds favourably!

-vin

I have three DPA 4060s (for plant mics) and one of the usual suspects (I think it was PSS but it may have been Trew) wired all of em with a TA5, they work fantastic as plants. No idea how you guys make those work on bodies... I haven't tried the 4071 yet, but I am interested.

I haven't observed this "dumb" sound outta the COS11s, but I've switched almost exclusively to B6s so all ten COS11s usually stay in their case.

Dan Izen

hi dan,

the most reliable to me is to use the DPA concealer

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545888-REG/DPA_Microphones_DMM0012_DMM0012_Miniature_Concealer_for.html

in conjunction with the DPA Double-Sided Tape for Miniature Conceale. But that tape is ridiculous expensive nearly 1 $ per piece. Sticks like hell and leaves nothing back nor on clothes or concealer - even when hot.

But I will try other double sided tape like Joey sticky stuff for cheaper solutions.

Rycote dots leave glue on concealer and do not stick that well.

News:

DPA will fully support and back its 2 year warranty on any mic EVEN IF you have cut off the microdot and put on any other connector.

--------

As for the price of a 4063 with factory-terminated Lectro connector, it is the same as a 4063 with microdot PLUS the 3056 Adapter. Yes, you are paying an additional DPA 70$ (which is the cost of a 3056 adapter) or so for them to sell you a lav with any connector other than the microdot. Strange business practice I must say.

-vin

That's quite interesting! So it's like paying extra to get fewer things; however, if one has no use whatsoever for anything other than a TA5, at least one doesn't have extra crap that can break on each lav...

Thanks for the tip about mounting DPAs! I've been meaning to try out a 4071...

Dan Izen

News:

DPA will fully support and back its 2 year warranty on any mic EVEN IF you have cut off the microdot and put on any other connector.

--------

As for the price of a 4063 with factory-terminated Lectro connector, it is the same as a 4063 with microdot PLUS the 3056 Adapter. Yes, you are paying an additional DPA 70$ (which is the cost of a 3056 adapter) or so for them to sell you a lav with any connector other than the microdot. Strange business practice I must say.

-vin