• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies Australian compatriots, I've always based myself around the MPPA (Motion Picture Production Agreement) which is based around a 5 day, 40 hour week, thus if I'm doing a 10 hour day it is 8 hours at normal rates and two hours of O/T. As I'm from a Film background I thought both Film and TV production were based around the MPPA Agreement, but I must be wrong. Don't production people ring you up and ask for 8 for 10 deal?

Nope this is probably how it started and I knew a couple of old timers who did what you are talking about until perhaps 5-8 years ago but things have shifted to a straight 10 portal to portal which usually works out to be about if the job is planned well.

Nope, they just ask for a day rate. Most ops I know quote 10hrs on their rate card as their day rate.

Yes but I am seeing more producers out of la and now some from new york that think a normal day is 12 and can't understand why I am still quoting on a 10 hr day? None in the last couple of months but I had a huge rash of them last year. Enough so that I had to check in with a number of the other local ops to see if I was going crazy.

Well, I hope that doesn't make it down under. I have no interest in a 12 hr standard day. To clarify, most 10hr day jobs I do are not portal to portal inclusive, either.

Never portal to portal. With peak hour in Sydney it would make our working days only six hours long. Wouldn't that be nice!

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?t4djzk

I've done shows and films where the standard (negotiated) day is 12 hours; plus meal break so pushes out to 13 hrs. More money guaranteed out front but definitely not worth it in the end. Days are just too long and no real time at home to decompress.

When I'm asked for my daily rate I always give my 10 hr rate and if the day turns out to be 8 hrs then I'm a winner.

There seems to be rate pressure across the board. In tv land the word is that the networks have cut budgets on even high rating shows by 10%. Crew wages are always seen as the first place "savings" can be made.

Seeing more flat offers of $xxx dollars for 12 hour days from some of the bigger production companies here and I decline. I counter with my standard rate for 10 and often I am told the job is unlikely to go for more than 10. My response to that is to quote my OT rate after 10 and stick to it. 12 hour days are not a healthy thing to be agreeing to in my opinion

Never portal to portal. With peak hour in Sydney it would make our working days only six hours long. Wouldn't that be nice!

Wouldn't that be the bomb! Imagine doing ten hours door to door in Sydney, you would almost, like, have a life! You could probably do it if you had a Hover Car or a Helicopter. I get stuck with an hour twenty to hour half commute either way and it ends up being a 14 hour day. It's like sitting in the car for a whole day. That is why the 8 hour day should make a return. You still do a 8 hour day if you work for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Not that many people do anymore.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?t4djzk

Had a pleasant experience today: went out for a half-day job, all went well, came back and discovered an email from the producer: "of course, we'll pay you your full daily rate." And that was without me asking for it. This was a extraordinarily easy job, low pressure, very nice people, which made it even better.

But those are rare...

• 2 years later...

There is NO half day rate..... Period... The race to the bottom is fast enough...( Clowns) offering half day rates only make that race faster.... What's next guys... Keep it up.. No boom ops, 12 hr days on and on... Producers will continue to ask as long as the fish are biting.. WE all need to be smarter than that... If you can't be at a "full day show"... because you are on a half day show, you have seen the light..even if that full day does not exist.... You must simply say that rate structure does not exist. Its really that simple.. They expect to hear that and hope they don't.

Actually uttered by a new-to-the-business coordinator: "Twelve hours, that's half a day isn't it?"

The person quoted came to doc production from the public radio news stringer world and didn't last long, spending the entire time in the business in a blind rage over what crews were getting paid.

Best regards,

Jim

Actually uttered by a new-to-the-business coordinator: "Twelve hours, that's half a day isn't it?"

Brilliant! (says the producer in me). Terrifying! (says the mixer and human in me).

The person quoted came to doc production from the public radio news stringer world and didn't last long, spending the entire time in the business in a blind rage over what crews were getting paid.

Semirelated: A friend who spent years at WGBH, a big-deal public broadcasting station here in the US, used to separate staff into the craftspeople who really knew what they were doing and some other staffers who appeared to be part of a full-employment program for the underachieving children of Boston brahmins who didn't really need the money anyway...

Brilliant! (says the producer in me). Terrifying! (says the mixer and human in me).

Semirelated: A friend who spent years at WGBH, a big-deal public broadcasting station here in the US, used to separate staff into the craftspeople who really knew what they were doing and some other staffers who appeared to be part of a full-employment program for the underachieving children of Boston brahmins who didn't really need the money anyway...

I worked on a doc with a few NPR types like this:  Ivy Leaguers with big ideas about the public worth of their work who were stunned and outraged that I, an unwashed blue-collar type, would be attempting to make a living working on that production and ones like it.  They viewed me as an overpriced, lazy, conniving, union-loving featherbedder.  So I did my best to live up to their expectations!   Their tune changed a little when they got into technical trouble around a concert recording--I guess they hadn't shown up for the "portable recorder" class at Harvard!

p

Questions I ask myself

Is it a regular client

Do I want the job

What do they need

How much can they afford

Will they come back

By coincidence had a booking today  1hour tomorrow and 1 hour the next day

Fine thay are friendly so keep them happy

So I quoted $1000.00 (NZ) for the two days

I'm happy so are they

mike

Questions I ask myself

Is it a regular client

Do I want the job

What do they need

How much can they afford

Will they come back

By coincidence had a booking today  1hour tomorrow and 1 hour the next day

Fine thay are friendly so keep them happy

So I quoted $1000.00 (NZ) for the two days

I'm happy so are they

mike

yeh, i agree,  it's more about the money,  if they are paying close to full day pay,  and it's really and truly a half day,  all good. 

i've only had a few half days in my history in location sound

• 4 weeks later...

I don't do half-days, because no matter how much the producer tries to keep them under 4-5 hours, they always turn out to be more than five hours of work.

Haven't done half-days in over ten years, clients still try me now and then but most just accept my day rate or find someone else. Often it's short notice, so I get the job anyway. :-)

Cheers

Fred