Loon Boom - Togloc coming loose

rockscottage

Hello all,

I've been using a Loon boom pole for the last few years and recently I noticed that the Togloc is ever so slightly loose. It's not a problem when using, say, a Schoeps in a Cinela mount but when I've got the full 416 on the end there's a noticeable rattle.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and, if so, what you did about it. I'm considering gluing it on at the moment...

I'd really like to not have to replace the pole just because of this as in all other respects it's great.

(I've contacted Loon but haven't heard anything back yet.)

best

martin

i noticed that on my loon, the togloc wouldnt securely grip - there would be a small amount of movement.

i also noticed that when i bought a PSC pole for a job where i needed a shorter pole that the threaded part of the PSC pole was both detachable and fitted the loon pole. i ordered a new threaded tip and all is well.

i noticed that on my loon, the togloc wouldnt securely grip - there would be a small amount of movement.

i also noticed that when i bought a PSC pole for a job where i needed a shorter pole that the threaded part of the PSC pole was both detachable and fitted the loon pole. i ordered a new threaded tip and all is well.

Awesome. My togloc is starting to exhibit the same 'wobble'. I'll order a PSC tip.

Man I love this forum...

Well, the PSC tip arrived today and it's basically the same design but longer. It's not quite as loose as the Togloc and it no longer feels like it's going to fall out, as it's about three times the length, but it still rattles more than I'd like.

It's a shame because in all other respects it's a great pole - the collars are really good and it doesn't bend etc. Just annoying that a key area is a bit shoddy...

Another Loon owner here with a togloc problem. It's actually more of an annoyance than a problem. In my case, it takes a very hard swing for it to come loose, but it's been like that since the beginning. And mine doesn't rattle. I wrote about it back in October 2008. At the time, I remember getting a PM from, if memory serves and it often doesn't, someone at Loon saying they were aware of the problem and working on a solution.

I wouldn't recommend gluing it in place - that's just too permanent. I think the answer might lie in making the two meeting surfaces more abrasive, but it's so far down my todo list, I never got around to trying anything out.

2 plus years with my loon and no major issues. Occasionally my lyre or ktek mount will come loose.. And twice the set screws holding the xlr in place at the bottom came loose. That was after some pretty heavy use days though.

I have multiple toglocs so i keep one on my lyre, my k-tek mount and my zep for quick changes.

• 5 months later...

I just found a very good deal on used Loon Penta, but the togloc is missing. I've had a look at the Loon website to buy one but

1.Don't have much confidence Loon answering and their support

2.The shipping costs to Spain is $90 for two units >:(

Anyone one with a spare unit that they would like to sell ?

Thanks