The Color of Gaff

Toy Robot

The Color of Gaff  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is your color preference for securing cable runs to the floor?

I'm curious as to what color gaff tape you use for securing cables to floors? Sometimes we have to create a cable run somewhere that requires securing the cable for the safety of both people and equipment, and I want to know what everyone's preference is.

I think black is classic (style-wise) and effective, however I'm wondering if it's good to have colored floor tape for that added bit of awareness? After all, it is still possible to trip over the tiny bump a cable makes through the tape.

My only hesitation with colored tape is when doing a high-end event with patrons in the area the colored tape may make you either look the fool, or just plain stick out in the room... but I guess being visible would be the point.

I'd love to hear why you use the colors you do, and what thoughts go into safety when you choose your tape color.

8)

If it comes off easier, it also gets kicked off easier too.

I'm in the camp of high-viz fluorescent colors (That is why you are doing it, right?) unless where you are running your cable will be on camera.

For corporate / trade show / event cable runs, black all the way and always. Anywhere that you are dealing with a doorway and more than 3 cables, use cable ramps. Also known as Yellowjackets, Guard Dogs, Cable Paths, and other brands, but all the same big heavy rubber things

I know we say there are no stupid questions but sometimes you just have to work it out for yourself.And I know in the spirt of sharing that is JWSound I should complete the Gaffer tape survey but I would never get those seconds back and life is just to short.Only kidding

Best John

I know we say there are no stupid questions but sometimes you just have to work it out for yourself.And I know in the spirt of sharing that is JWSound I should complete the Gaffer tape survey but I would never get those seconds back and life is just to short.Only kidding

Best John

And as you can see, "figuring it out for yourself" has yielded different results from different professionals on this forum within the 7 responses prior to your post. Some using paper tape, some using fluorescent, some using striped tape, etc.

Anyone can determine the color they'd like to use, however I'm of the opinion that if a long time pro has a valid point, I should take that point into consideration before I assume I am correct. Hence the OP.

I use 2" black gaff tape on the floor, but someone on set a short while back still tripped on the tiny little 1/4" bump through the tape and it got me thinking about whether or not I was missing an opportunity to improve my craft. Plus, I can't tell you the number of times on this forum I see people ask questions that the pros not only disagree on, but that yield many positive results for members who had not previously thought to ask the question, or didn't know they could.

I stand by my OP.

Tom has a good point - I try to avoid taping cables at all while on set simply b/c of how fast everything moves. Are the sparks taping down the 400 miles of cable they spray everywhere for each shot?

Doubtful!

My boom op is the primary reason that any of my cables get any tape at all, and sometimes I wonder if he is just trying to deplete my collection of "whichever color I have handy" gaff tape... Because I usually remind him (as the cable is being taped) that it will be getting pulled back up in less than 20 minutes. Sometimes he leaves my tape alone, sometimes he takes 2 feet off the roll.

With regard to the comment by John Quinn above, I look at it this way: I might be a professional at this business, and have been working as a stagehand for more than 10 years, but I don't know every trick in the book. I don't think anyone really does, there are MANY ways to get to the same goal in this business, and each of the different ways we hear about becomes another tool in the kit.

The ONLY dumb question is the one that is never asked for fear of getting an unhelpful reply.

No matter how well you try to tape a cable down, someone still trips over it. I've seen it with cable crosses and stripped tape with cones set up. Also seen a lot of bus carts crash and burn as the operator tries to go over the cable without lifting the wheels or asking for help. Some people just don't look down.

Scott....

If I HAVE to tape down cables, i'll use whichever colour is closest to hand and there is enough left of. Typically i'll only do it if i'm asked to, or if it's definitely going to be there all day and people will be passing over it regularly.

If we get a lot of foot traffic over a spot where we've laid down several cables (speakers, AC, whatever), like in front of a doorway, I'll lay down a carpet over it and then gaffer tape that down on the edges. Or ask the grips if they have one of those cable-ramp things:

DH-CP-4.jpg

Alex and Jim Note I was only kidding ask any question you like I was only having a bit of fun hope I didn't ruin your day.

Best John

No worries. What is that crucial key I have figured out on this forum and yet sometimes forget? Oh, that's right, that so many things get lost in translation through text! Turns out the human voice is rather important in conveying a message.

8)

The poll does not include the correct option of "it depends".

It doesn't include the option of safety striped tunnel tape.

or mat's and carpets, or tunnels...

and, oh, yeah, there is also self luminous tape!

I know, you're all thinking: 'there he goes again...'

but why is the cable being taped down ? safety? traffic? concealment?

Edited by studiomprd

A client gave me a case of 3" day-glow lime colored tape, so I use that for pedestrian areas in hotels, offices, ect. There's always some idiot that manages to stumble accoss it even though it's highly visable and you can't miss it unless your walking aorund with yo' eyes closed. Residue has never been a problem, at least less than 48 hr.s.

From my band days, I can testify that chroma-green gaffer tape is great for making things visible on stage in dim lighting. My former bass player still has a strip of it on his amp because he thinks it looks cool.

If we get a lot of foot traffic over a spot where we've laid down several cables (speakers, AC, whatever), like in front of a doorway, I'll lay down a carpet over it and then gaffer tape that down on the edges. Or ask the grips if they have one of those cable-ramp things:

DH-CP-4.jpg

Hey Marc they are called cable crossings or "Yellow Jackets" and the lighting department/electricians have them not the grips. We also use matts and paper tape (black). You can pull up a finish on a floor with gaffer's tape.

Cheers,

Whit