recording a diver in a sea - placing a trx

Hi

I'm writing to ask for advice for an upcoming job. It's an underwater shoot and here's the script:

I'll have a presenter wearing diving gear going 15 m down into the sea. I need to record her dialog while she's in sea water 15m below and I'm on the surface on a boat with the recorder.

I've never done such a thing yet and wonder if:

1. Can I and how to safely put the trx inside the diving foam and the mic in the "helmet" type mask?

2. will my Sennheiser 2000 bodypack G3 (100mw output) work and transmit the signal to the receiver which is 15m above the divers on a boat?

3. will water affect/alter the RF and singal in any ways?

what is the best place inside a diver's foam to put the trx to best protect it from a possibility of sea water getting to it?

6. will placing it in a condom be an effective enough water protection?

5. are there any other precautions i need to take with such job?

I know Lectrosonics make water resistant trx but thats not an option for me. I also dont have time to order any waterproof casing for the trx since the job is thisTuesday.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Bartek

Hi,

Thanks for the replays

not sure about the communication system. will try to find out. slim chances for zaxcom gear for rent here Think my best bet might be to put a zoom 4hn into the suit but that'a a bit bulky and not sure it will fit into the suit without cousing too much discomfort for the diver. Unfortunately I can't check it until the actual shoot. Do you think RF will not go throgh that amount of water?

cheers

RF will not penetrate 15 meters of water. You will have to record both on the diver and tap in to the com system.

Your best option that I'm aware of in terms if battery life, sound quality, and on-board recording is a Zaxcom transmitter. The Zoom recorder is very bulky and you still need to hard line a lav mic inside her dive gear.

Water protection of the equipment is obviously a major factor. A small pelican case housing the transmitter/recorder will be your best bet (I think). You may need to drill a small hole for the lav cable to pass through then seal the opening with a silcon to prevent water from entering the case.

In short...the Sennheiser G3 or 2000 system simply won't work for this application.

This has come up before, and none of our usual equipment is even remotely suitable!

the pressure of the water at 15 meters is tremendous, and special diving rated gear is absolutely required both for proper operation, and safety!

BTW: NAUI certified since my teenage days!

thank you all for your valuable input. I'm now sure not to attempt putting my tx down there and into a risk. also I feel wiser and more confident to explain to the producer (who says "it can def be done") why i'm not sending any of my equipment 15m down. I also spoke to the divers and they will try to get a special suit with the communication system for my to tap into.

thanks again to you all

" "it can def be done" "

correct, just not without proper gear, and our gear is not the proper gear.

+1 to that

The correct kit for this is something along the lines of a full face mask with coms unit installed. The best examples of this that I can think of off the top of my head was anything done by Steve Irwin underwater where he would narrate through the com as he went.