I hate iPhones.

After suffering through almost having my iPhone 4 die on the set from a dead battery, I threw in the towel and bought a Mophie Juice-Pack Plus battery case. Gives me another 24 hours of so before it goes stone-cold dead. The phone is maybe 10% bigger and 15% heavier, but I don't care. I'll take reliability over comfort any day.

Ordering one now. I had seen these before, but wasn't sure if any of them were any good. Thanks for the tip.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one of these for my iPhone 4s and then bought one for one of the sales guys and then a few more for more of the crew and finally ended up with eight of them:

Boost Case Leather Flip Case & Extended Battery for iPhone 4 (Black, Fits all models iPhone 4S /4)

Sold by: Boost Cases.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

They started out at $49 and now are $63. They work as advertised, adding about 80% to the run time and protect the phone for shirt pocket carriers like myself. I assume they still have a lifetime warranty. They don't come with a cord or charger but use the standard micro-USB at 5 Volts, i.e., everything USB. The case battery discharges first and then the phone battery takes over. Both can be charged with one connection.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

p.s. They use a super magnet for a latch and the leather over it may need to be Gorilla glued after a few months. This seems to be a permanent fix.

After suffering through almost having my iPhone 4 die on the set from a dead battery, I threw in the towel and bought a Mophie Juice-Pack Plus battery case. Gives me another 24 hours of so before it goes stone-cold dead. The phone is maybe 10% bigger and 15% heavier, but I don't care. I'll take reliability over comfort any day.

But I still carry a $19.95 TracFone in the van, just as a double-secret emergency backup. I've had a couple of occasions where AT&T's bad reception torpedoed the iPhone, and only the TracFone (which I think uses Sprint) could get through.

I have an iPhone and an Android phone, and I can't say I'm a big fan of one over the other. When my contract is up on my personal phone next month, I am seriously considering getting an old school flip phone. There are times when I don't want to be able to be reached.

Multiple data plans? Pfft... You kids these days.

I've been running with smartphones since the Treo600 days, back before AT&T became Stinkular then became AT&T again. (I was with them then, switched to T-mobile during the Stinkular "upgrade" and never looked back)

All my smartphones have ALWAYS been hacked into either a cabled modem to a laptop, or more recently now, bluetooth tethered "on demand" to my iPad or laptops. T-Mo doesn't care how you use the data, it is all the same bits and bytes. My family also dropped land-line based internet in favor of one of the T-Mo hotspot things. For the data usage of my parents, the 5gb isn't *quite* enough to last a full month, but it is at a passable speed after that point... Unlike the AT&T Home DSL we dropped for $70/month... Which sucked ALL the time.

I love having the instant access to data while on set - Just recently on a set, I was ordering some small gack from B&H during a lull, AND I have saved (or helped quickly rework) a couple shoots by being the only one on set with an accurate radar image of the entire area.

I don't mind when productions send out their call sheets via email - Provided they actually DO send them out at all! What I refuse to do (or accept as "professional") is use Twitter for anything. I don't have an account on that mess, and don't plan to. To me, Twitter just seems like "publicly degaussing your own coil" (extra geek cred for anyone who gets that reference!)

Don't own a smartphone, never have - also don't want one. I have enough distraction in life. Just a basic phone for --strange, I know-- placing and receiving calls. Last gig I was on I took notice of the fact that whenever we had an announced break, every single person on the crew was instantly staring downward at their phones, almost in perfect unison. I felt like an alien and went to take in the world around me in a new location for a moment by --gasp-- looking out a window!

Of course, I also have never owned an mp3 player or tablet or any other consumer gadget. I do own a Mac, however, and find that's all I need.

That's exactly what I do. And with each device on a different carrier I have a better chance of getting some kind of signal almost anywhere I am.

My sister has her iPhone on AT&T, and her iPad on Verizon for that reason. She does a lot of social media work, so having a connection means she can work from more places (i.e. sitting on the deck at a beach house).

Ordering one now. I had seen these before, but wasn't sure if any of them were any good. Thanks for the tip.

and for non-iPhones (microUSB plug), there are less elegant solutions like: http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-External-UltraSlim-Motorola-Blackberry/dp/B004UP491W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1338544088&sr=8-4

I keep one with me, especially if I am not using my kit that has the BDS with the USB port. I found I really needed this when working with a 744T.

Don't own a smartphone, never have - also don't want one. I have enough distraction in life. Just a basic phone for --strange, I know-- placing and receiving calls. Last gig I was on I took notice of the fact that whenever we had an announced break, every single person on the crew was instantly staring downward at their phones, almost in perfect unison.

What ever happened to the busy signal? They're busy, you get a busy signal, YOU CALL BACK!

On your other point, back in the days of pagers (remember them) I was in a bar very near a major hospital (after a photo gig) and said to my companion (the writer), "Watch this".

I turned my own pager on and off which made it "beep". Everyone in the bar started slapping their pants.

So I did it again, and again...

We laughed ourselves stupid and thought of Pavlov.

Last gig I was on I took notice of the fact that whenever we had an announced break, every single person on the crew was instantly staring downward at their phones, almost in perfect unison.

I see this much, much too often on sets, even during takes! A friend of mine who does high-end security told me they are specifically forbidden to look at their phones while on the job.

I worked with a DP recently whom was looking at their phone while running camera, it's one thing to pull up a manual and use if for purposes directly related to what your doing and all the sound aps and programs that use your phone or iPad are obviously great tools, but I think using your phone while on the job is bad etiquette. Basically as bad and rude as looking at your phone while having a conversation with someone. Your getting paid to work for someone's production, not use the phone. Your breaks are your time and this is when you should be on your phone, if at all.

Unless production has you using your phone for the job at hand, you shouldn't be on it, during their production, period (that's the producers job).

On another Apple note, I read a tech post today that confirmed why the iPhone cases all have a little hole cut out on the backplate side for the Apple logo, the new iPhone 5 will have a hologram projector there, so.... it's not just there to show everybody your talking on an Apple.

Crap! My flip phone finally died so I was forced to buy a smart phone. I decided to go this way as texting is the only way some people will communicate with you and now I can check my e-mail. I got a good deal - phone=$5.99, 4G, 5k data for the same as my existing plan.

I have butter fingers even with my booming gloves on... actually, especially when i have them on, so, after breaking 3 smart phones last year (started with an iphone, went to an HTC because it had gorilla glass... so much for that... then went to a nokia because apparently they were "unbreakable" ...) so, I have banned myself from touchscreen smart phones and I now have a tradies phone :) does what i need it to do, even has basic email and net functionality. BONUS! I can chuck it at walls and its still good to go :) always a nice party trick haha.

And Robert, I bet your phone lasts a week on one battery charge! I'm lucky to get 2 days on an iPhone.

I had an old "burner" cell phone some years back. It recently fell out of a drawer, and I was stunned when I powered it up and... it still turned on and had enough power to make a call! I think it had been turned off for at least 2 years.

The times are changing so fast these days. Only ten years ago it would have seemed pretty hard to imagine the smartphone tablet permanently online world (and the downward staring!) that we're living in right now. I'm sure smartphones will be obsolete in 5 to 10 years - what will be next? Implanted chips? Things made out of Graphene? Life in (i)Clouds?

Although there's no denying the utility of web, e-mail and text, I often wonder how communication would go if those came first and the new gadget was the phone. Real-time back and forth conversation without typing! 3 way "calls"! How revolutionary!

Agreed. I often find it funny (maybe not funny ha ha) about what a technological revolution it has been to move "forward" to communicating by broken English texts one has to wait around for responses to on the same device one can simply push a button and talk to the other party on. We've chosen to go back to the telegraph!

• 1 month later...
Guest dawidbrook

I am not agree with this opinion, because of At this present time iPhone is one of the most powerful and top choice of the market device. iPhone has good features and many more multimedia application. and all the model of iPhone has modern look and its too easy to use in running life and its giving a best touch sensitivity and nits class. So, I prefer iPhone is nice mobile device.

Besides not needing the distraction, I've never enjoyed the form factor of smartphones. Maybe I'm too old school Star Trek communicator about it, but I like flip phones...having this giant display in your pocket never seemed comfortable to me, and it just doesn't seem designed to be a phone at all, ergonomically.