I hate iPhones.

That's since I got one about four weeks ago. Technologically, of course, great, it does it all. I tricked myself into believing I need one because of the smart Lectro remote thing. Sure, it all works nicely. But if we could see ourselves from the past, from when there were no iPhones (and imitators), see us now, staring at these little things in our hand, pressing and swiping our fingers on its glass, always with our heads downward, necks bent, maybe we'd realize that the way the iPhone "changed the world" might not be an exclusively good one.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the OP. I've resisted so far but my current phone may give up the ghost soon and a smart phone might be in my future. More and more producers are asking if you've got there email in the middle of the day. Since I don't have internet access on my current phone how can I respond?

I don't want to be a 21st century zombie but I feel I'm getting pushed (more like shoved) in that direction.

The last two movies for me have been entirely way too email dependent --- everything is being done with email, call sheets, script updates, maps, hotel directions, last minute changes of all sorts, etc. On this movie, I had this thought: what if I told production I didn't have a smart phone, didn't have a computer, don't even know how to use email. I think the reaction from production would have been "we've obviously hired the wrong guy for this job". I actually like the instantaneous updates via all things Internet, but it also allows them to do really stupid things very quickly, assuming all the time that you can follow all of that information all the time.

Just cause you have access, doesn't mean you have to be on it.

I love my smart phone, and having instant access to what I need, when I need it. Not having to print things out and remember to bring them, email updates instantly when working. I think it's all great. It's the only communication device I own that allows me to communicate in all the ways that I do, all from one device.

We are still figuring out how to deal with it as a society, as with all new technology, but that too shall pass.

My iphone made me more efficient in many aspects of my life. It s the best tool

+1 I use my iPhone to take impulse responses, make sound reports, pictures for documenting on location surveys etc. let alone all other aspects in personal and professional life!

In fact it was the only way I was able to record my son's heartbeat when hearing it for the first time! We are expecting this July:)

iPhone is a great tool indeed

I was carpooling with a guy at work. We had just left the stage and he had realized that he forgot his phone on the cart. Not to worry he said, it will be a test to see if he could go the night without the device. He was proud that this test was put in front of him. We didn't even make it out of the parking structure before he was asking to drive back to the set to get it. Something is wrong when we get so attached to a phone.

... but it also allows them to do really stupid things very quickly, assuming all the time that you can follow all of that information all the time.

This part is key. Jeff I'm very glad to hear someone put this so succinctly. I very much dislike over-communication with less thought & planning vs. minimal communication which is well thought out.

Too many production emails I receive are light on details, creating a never ending chain of questions that in the end make me feel like simply not asking for additional details and telling them, "You didn't tell me, so I chose the process/tools I thought were best."

And to your point specifically, I often get an email and soon after a correction. Then another correction. Then another. It's very disheartening spending time keeping up with other people's lack of initiative.

I had this conversation with an actor a few days ago and since then I became very sceptical about the whole mobile communications hype. If Apple's next big removal (after floppy discs and optical drives) really will be the hard drive (and eventually any physical storage device), and all our data will then be stored in iClouds - then this is the real 1984.

Here's my line of thought so far:

1 If my iPhone is a device by which it is possible at all times to remotely track my geographical position, as well as being a sound and video recorder and transmitter - then it is the ultimate surveillance device. Forget CCTV!

2 If a surveillance device is so attractive that I will always take it with me (because it can do so many things!), both to work (email, sound apps, notes, etc etc), and free time (takes pictures and video which I can email to my friends instantly), then it must be called a success. Hell, people regularly stand in queues for days to get the newest version of their personal surveillance device! A guy in China gave a kidney for one! How far can it go? If there was some mysterious institution that were recording all our moves, data, everything, something like a Big Brother - they surely must be laughing their a** off about how crazy we are about these devices.

3 However, if we furthermore enjoy sharing our personal data with everyone who cares, if we use Facebook and Twitter to instantly publish every little detail about our private lives, then there would be no need for surveillance. Because we would be doing it all by ourselves. Which would be a step ahead even of what Orwell wrote.

Just now I realize I am using my real name publishing very personal thoughts - right now as I will click on the "post" button. The system is really working!

Progress, friends! What will be next?

as a user and reformed over-user of mobile devices i'd like to comment on a few things:

if clients send too many emails or try to engage in conversation through it, simply tell them you'll call, in which case you'll be in voice-mail. put a stop to it one way or another. it's a time-waster and a distraction.

now that there are ipads it's easy to have it around as an all purpose tool for everything web based, including email.

on that route, get a data plan for the i pad and you can keep a dumb phone around.

having a smartphone and an i pad means you'll be stuck with two data plans on the go unless you carry your own mi-fi router, a portable internet connection that connects to the web and you can connect both and several more devices to it via wifi--and have one data plan. but you're carrying around a lot more. but you can go with just a wifi enabled ipad.

the above option--mi-fi--is good for you guys who want to experiment using wifi for transmitting audio, but since the mi-fi uses a cell phone signal to connect to the web, my bet is that this type of wifi is not a good option, at least off the tp of my head.

my mifi is at the shop getting its mini usb power connection fixed. so i'm using the Nokia E6 which has a hotspot built in and i can use it as a modem. since it's unlocked, not bought from the carrier, i'll see if they can tell i'm using it as such when i get the next bill.

btw, phones sold by carriers cost you more in the long run. buy your own (but make sure it's compatible with your service provider) and get it added on to your service and your phone bill will go down. tell customer service you want to make a device change and have the imie # handy.

when smartphones first came on the scene ipads were nowhere in sight, now there are options, but increased gadget dependence if you really want the trouble of two or more objects to keep track of.

post-1444-0-31444200-1337645951.jpg

But if we could see ourselves from the past, from when there were no iPhones (and imitators), see us now, staring at these little things in our hand, pressing and swiping our fingers on its glass, always with our heads downward, necks bent, maybe we'd realize that the way the iPhone "changed the world" might not be an exclusively good one.

Moderation in all things is a good philosophy. I love the iPhone, but I draw the line at using it all day, constantly texting, surfing the web, and all that crap. Just because you own an iPhone (or any other smartphone) doesn't mean you have to have it surgically attached to your face. I like being connected as much as anybody these days, but there are times when it's nice to get away and take a break.

I agree with Jeff, though: the amount of emails, call sheets, paperwork, and other crap I get in email gets way too excessive, especially when there's a lot of last-minute changes. I guess the reality is, it's easier to send emails to 25 crew members rather than having to call each one individually and saying, "call time has been pushed back an hour."

I love having a smart phone going back to my Treo650. Before that I would hack my standard phone to allow my Palm Pilot to get email.

Having quick access to email got me plenty of jobs that would have been booked if I had to wait till I got home to read and respond. That was a big deal when I was starting out. I love having access to the Internet being able to look things up. I love having access to weather maps and knowing when a lighting storm is coming. That applies on set, or if I am out on my motorcycle or bicycle. I like always having a decent point and shoot camera in my pocket. I love being able to order needed kit from set. I love being able to contact production, or post, about an issue. I prefer email for such things because there is a record of the conversation. I have had post tell me something 100% wrong and months later somebody tries to throw me under the bus in a mass email. Those emails save my ass, and half of them were sent while on set.

I will say I am a huge fan of the Internet in general. It's the new equalizer as the revolver was in the wild west. This website is a perfect example. As individuals we would have never had such a voice. Even things like "watch out for this production company with bouncing checks" are game changers for the individual freelancer. That's not something that would end up in a quarterly newsletter from our favorite vendors.

I do know a few people that have said they were going to revert to a simple tiny phone that holds charge for two days and just carry a cellular iPad in their bag if they need email and web access. I'm not sure any of them actually did that, though they are probably too deep in a 2 year contract that includes data fees to realistically switch.

I do know a few people that have said they were going to revert to a simple tiny phone that holds charge for two days and just carry a cellular iPad in their bag if they need email and web access.

After suffering through almost having my iPhone 4 die on the set from a dead battery, I threw in the towel and bought a Mophie Juice-Pack Plus battery case. Gives me another 24 hours of so before it goes stone-cold dead. The phone is maybe 10% bigger and 15% heavier, but I don't care. I'll take reliability over comfort any day.

But I still carry a $19.95 TracFone in the van, just as a double-secret emergency backup. I've had a couple of occasions where AT&T's bad reception torpedoed the iPhone, and only the TracFone (which I think uses Sprint) could get through.

I do know a few people that have said they were going to revert to a simple tiny phone that holds charge for two days and just carry a cellular iPad in their bag if they need email and web access. I'm not sure any of them actually did that, though they are probably too deep in a 2 year contract that includes data fees to realistically switch.

That's exactly what I do. And with each device on a different carrier I have a better chance of getting some kind of signal almost anywhere I am.