College students' class projects

One of my A students from last term has asked me to post this, for projects this (Summer) term:

We have class film shoots almost every week. We shoot one short film per week and each shoot happens in one day 8-10 hours. It's a class project, but we try to deal it very professionally. Some of our earlier projects in this class have won awards at film festivals. These shoots are in Pasadena, CA

We are looking for a boom operator (single person sound crew) who can take care of all the dialog and hand the recorded file to us at the end of the shoot. We expect him to be a professional, and we can pay him $150 - $200 per shoot. We especially would love to work with a person with great attitude and patience.

If our directors like him we would likely to ask him to continue for the whole term and possibly more in the future.

or, in other words:

I wonder if you can recommend any professional sound person that you know.

I am in the Broadcast Cinema (Graduate Film) program. We have film shoots almost every week. We shoot one short film per week and each shoot happens in one day 8-10 hours. It's a class project, but we try to deal it very professionally. Some of our earlier projects in this class have won awards at film festivals.

We are looking for a boom operator (single person sound crew) who can take care of all the dialog and hand the recorded file to us at the end of the shoot. We expect him to be a professional, and we can pay him $150 - $200 per shoot. We especially would love to work with a person with great attitude and patience.

If our directors like him we would likely to ask him to continue for the whole term and possibly more in the future.

contact Wonchan (call him Chan) who was one of my best A students his email is wonchansohn at gee-mail daht com

Edited by studiomprd

"...We are looking for a boom operator who can take care of all the dialog and hand the recorded file to us at the end of the shoot..."

The fact that they're not even aware of what a sound mixer is, makes this appear to be yet another, "We're shooting several amazing, wonderful films, they will look fantastic because we're using the latest, greatest, coolest camera and the best, highly-experienced students to create our fantastic images to tell our exciting stories for what will, without a doubt, be award-winning films... Oh, and we also need someone to hold a microphone near the set to get us some sound -- whatever you call that person."

Half of a Subway tuna, anyone?

Give me a break...

Chan is not a native speaker in English...and yes he, and the others are all genuine college students. I give them credit that they realize they (wanna-bee directors) might not be as good at being a single-person sound crew as someone who is specifically seeking more experience specifically as a sound person...

Give me a break...

Chan is not a native speaker in English...and yes he, and the others are all genuine college students. I give them credit that they realize they (wanna-bee directors) might not be as good at being a single-person sound crew as someone who is specifically seeking more experience specifically as a sound person...

Okay, break time!

I was just surprised that one of your "A" students doesn't know the difference between a sound mixer and a boom operator, and a sound mixer who does bag work. Does he call the D.P. "a lens operator"?

But, I'll bet he knows how to call the manufacturer. <g>

"...We are looking for a boom operator who can take care of all the dialog and hand the recorded file to us at the end of the shoot..."

The fact that they're not even aware of what a sound mixer is, makes this appear to be yet another, "We're shooting several amazing, wonderful films, they will look fantastic because we're using the latest, greatest, coolest camera and the best, highly-experienced students to create our fantastic images to tell our exciting stories for what will, without a doubt, be award-winning films... Oh, and we also need someone to hold a microphone near the set to get us some sound -- whatever you call that person."

Half of a Subway tuna, anyone?

John,

These are students and just getting their feet wet. Roughly 2 years ago I was helping one of my friend, who I knew since 5 yrs old, over at Cal Berkeley with their student film and turned out that the director was one of Terminator 2 producer's nephew! I don't touch student projects unless there's some form of potential that it'll succeed out in the market. Oftentimes students themselves need a BIG leg up and don't have all the necessary resources to achieve their goal, thus, asking their professors for add'l help through their networks. The last student film i helped with had sushi on set that were specifically picked by each crew member, so no the Subway tuna sandwiches never made it to the list because there's more to it than treating your crew with respect.

If this was a professional set then this would come across as an insult.

John,

These are students and just getting their feet wet. Roughly 2 years ago I was helping one of my friend, who I knew since 5 yrs old, over at Cal Berkeley with their student film and turned out that the director was one of Terminator 2's nephew! I don't touch student projects unless there's some form of potential that it'll succeed out in the market. Oftentimes students themselves need a BIG leg up and don't have all the necessary resources to achieve their goal, thus, asking their professors for add'l help through their networks. The last student film i helped with had sushi on set that were specifically picked by each crew member, so no the Subway tuna sandwiches never made it to the list because there's more to it than treating your crew with respect.

If this was a professional set then this would come across as an insult.

Your point is certainly valid, Alan. I'm actually a big supporter of beginning filmmakers. But, you see, I haven't given Senator Mike a hard time in ages. I thought he might feel like I didn't care any more so I needed to say something.

Okay, break time! I was just surprised that one of your "A" students doesn't know the difference between a sound mixer and a boom operator, and a sound mixer who does bag work. Does he call the D.P. "a lens operator"? But, I'll bet he knows how to call the manufacturer.

Maybe they're a Junior in college and it's their first time working with an actual sound person on set and quite doesn't know the difference between a sound mixer and a boom operator. They just need some guidance to show them the way into the professional world. It's quite a gig especially for a student short film that pays well over your daily asking of $100 that you see a lot on the "usual suspects."

Sorry for quoting you so often, John.

" doesn't know the difference between a sound mixer and a boom operator "

actually, I told them that for their beginning, no budget projects, a good boomer would probably be more important than a good "mixer". Typically the students say they want to find a good sound mixer, and for boom, they have a friend, or the person doing craft services can step over for shots and boom, etc. I told them to get a boomer, and let the friend watch the winky-blinky lights.

I also taught, and showed them how to get helpful information, manuals, and answers to FAQ's via the Internet when they need it while on a stage or location "set".

" I would think some of our LA area jwsound beginning members would jump at the chance for a paid(low) gig and a chance to practice the craft. "

exactly!

" he might feel like I didn't care any more "

::)

Old school- my thoughts exactly!

I have been doing production sound for about a year, mostly boom and utility but am always looking for opportunities like this one to broaden my knowledge and get some experience as a mixer in a practical setting for my skill level. I recently just bought the 302 and two VHF lectros so it sounds perfect.

I sent him an email but never heard back =[