Yellowstone

Steve Joachim

Are you towing a car? How do you plan to get around once you get there.

Traffic jams are frequent because idiots don't think twice about leaving their car on the busy main 2-lane road to get a better picture of a bear or a moose. Campgrounds fill up quickly, so reservations are a good idea.

Restaurants are OK at best, actually sort of expensive for what you get (Captive audience). Stock up your RV with supplies and then restaurants can be a treat instead of a necessity.

It is an amazing place. You could spend an entire Summer there and not see it all.

It's all pretty breathtaking -- just keep in mind the crowds can be ferocious -- they're going into peak season right now, so resolving yourself to the fact that there will be hoards of people doing exactly what you are will inevitably make it more pleasant -- just don't expect to get anywhere quickly.

BTW, Glacier Nat. Pk. is about 400mi. to the north (a days drive) if you get a chance -- also just amazing.

~tt

President Theodore Roosevelt called the stretch of highway between Cody, Wyoming and the East Gate of Yellowstone National Park “the fifty most beautiful miles in America”.

Driving it I was reminded of all the westerns I saw as a kid and I could picture Indians (they used to be called that) lurking behind every rock formation as I prepared to defend the wagon train.

You might wish to visit the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody. If you stay at the historic Lockhart Inn (on the outskirts of Cody on the road to Yellowstone), tell the proprietress I said, "hi."

I have issues with really strong sulfer smells. It makes me fell sick, so just be prepared for that. There are certain parts where it is really strong. Just make sure to take your time and see everything you can. It is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. Obviously you should see Old Faithful, but just about everything else is as cool as it gets. There are natural hot springs all over the place, and some of them are crystal clear, and you can see them just go down and down and down and it makes you want to get a tiny waterproof camera and stick it as far down as it'll go just to see what's down there.

Stay on the wooden pathways. Don't fall in the hot, boiling mud. Take lots of pictures. Be careful of charging buffalo. That's not a joke. When I went (back when I was 8th grade) there was a herd of buffalo about 25 yards from the road, so everyone stopped in their cars to take pictures. I pulled out our video camera, and one of the buffalo got a little angry and charged a car and did some serious damage. The car couldn't move because everyone had stopped to take pictures.

If you are driving around at night out in the middle of nowhere..pull over and stop. Take out some lawn chairs and look UP. You will appreciate the night sky, and more importantly, the QUIET.

Thanks for all of the input! We are looking forward to Griswold-ing around the beautiful countryside as a whole family for possibly the last time before our daughter decides she is too old to hang with her folks on a motor home vacation anymore. We will try and make it a good one!

I have a modest suggestion: take pictures of your family, but just stand there and LOOK at the natural wonders--no pix. You can't represent them adequately in a picture in any case, unless you are willing to go to Ansel Adams-style lengths. You aren't there to "capture" the wonders in a picture, but to SEE them with your own eyes! You can buy a book with better pictures than you can take if you need a souvenir.

phil p

I have a modest suggestion: take pictures of your family, but just stand there and LOOK at the natural wonders--no pix. You can't represent them adequately in a picture in any case, unless you are willing to go to Ansel Adams-style lengths. You aren't there to "capture" the wonders in a picture, but to SEE them with your own eyes! You can buy a book with better pictures than you can take if you need a souvenir.

phil p

Interesting perspective... and true. Thanks Philip : )

~tt

phil p

Excellent point. Not much of a shutterbug anyway. I can go entire trips without breaking out the camera. Don't want to be bothered. I usually end up regretting it though. Getting excited! T minus 5 days and counting!

Wyoming is one of the most beautiful states in America, in my opinion. The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar in Jackson Hole is a fun tourist spot, the "stools" at the bar, are fulll size saddles, they cut you off when you can no longer "ride." The Grand Tetons are also some of the most majestic mountains ever.

Dave Fisk is right about the sulfer smell though, don't mention this until you're there!

Save travells Steve

I rented a boat (for $90 an hour) at the marina and my daughter hooked up to 3 Cutthroats in 30 minutes. They are out by the island.

Catch and release only on those. Lake trout are keepers, they are trying to get rid of those.

If you want to see a bear in your campground, fry some bacon in the morning.

Hey Steve,

We are going to Yellowstone for the weekend in our RV, leaving tomorrow. One of the nice things about Missoula is I am 5 hours away from Yellowstone and 4 hours away from Glacier. Crowds should be minimal if you are going this weekend. Graduation from high school is this Saturday, so things won't get crazy until next week. You should be seeing a lot of baby buffalo this time of year, it is amazing, the best time of the year to go in my opinion.

Having done this trip many times, my advice is stay in West Yellowstone at the Pony Express RV park and rent a car. Driving an RV in the park is a pain if you really want to enjoy it and if you are going to the Lamar Valley (which you really should) there could be ice and snow on the road so don;t drive your RV in the park if you have a choice.

You really can't go wrong anywhere but I would recommend:

1. The Lamar Valley

2. Lower Geyser Basin/Paint Pots

3. If you haven't seen it, you gotta see Old Faithful

4. Tower Fall

5. Mammoth Hot Springs

6. Hayden valley for wildlife.

If you do stay in West Yellowstone this weekend and happen to see a bald guy with a cute blonde woman and a giant black Great Dane, that's me!

Have fun,

Mike