Anyone use the built in slate on Nomad yet? Thinking of it..

Mike Wally

Hey guys,

So, I'm doing some run and gun type shooting with DSLR's tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience using the built in slate on the Nomad. Does it work well enough for quick stuff? If i can eliminate needing the slate, it would be cool. Or is it just easier to old fashion slate it?

-w

This display is used to show a visual timecode slate to a camera. Pressing the MENU knob will freeze the display and cause a 1 frame long beep tone in the audio on any bus that is selected for tone output.

Can't seem to figure out why it doesn't make the beep. Is there even a speaker of any type on the unit? Not sure what the concept was behind this design feature.

If you're sending audio to the dslr (I use a g3 RX) you'll get the beep on the camera.

Traditionally, the camera sees the clap of the slate, and the audio recorder hears the click. So the beep should go to a card track (mix) and the camera sees the freeze. You have the bonus option of sending it to the camera as well.

Ok, so I'd need to use a quarter-inch to xlr converter in order to mix into say the Canon 5D Mark II? And just use one of my breakaway cables two cables?

If you're using a standard breakaway, you need to convert the two xlrs into one 1/8" stereo (unbalanced) MIC input. Your return will be NC, unless it's a 5D mkIII.

I use a g3, as in the kit it has a locking 1/8" connector for the RX end, and a dual mono 1/8" for the camera end.

Edit: don't mix only into the 5D. send reference audio and record yourself. I think that's obvious but I just wanted to point it out.

If you're using a standard breakaway, you need to convert the two xlrs into one 1/8" stereo (unbalanced) MIC input. Your return will be NC, unless it's a 5D mkIII.

I use a g3, as in the kit it has a locking 1/8" connector for the RX end, and a dual mono 1/8" for the camera end.

Edit: don't mix only into the 5D. send reference audio and record yourself. I think that's obvious but I just wanted to point it out.

Yea, no I never mix into DSLR. I'm half retarded, i just re-read what you wrote and now it all makes sense. The camera see's the pause, and the audio is recorded onto the card. The pause is acting as the "Clap". I totally get it now, lol. For being as computer-savy as I am, the simple things slip by me.

Thanks again guys, you rock!