Mic level out of SD 442 hot into SMQV

sonicboomaudio

Hi all,

I recently did a wireless hop with my Lectro SMQV transmitter. I came out of my SD 442's XLR left master, making sure to change the output level to "mic". I used an XLR to 5-pin adapter. I fed -20 tone out and the level going into the SMQV was still hot. I had to basically turn the audio level down to "0" on the transmitter to get the levels to match.

What am I missing? Is it because the XLR out is balanced? What do I have to do to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance,

John

Yes, the Lectro MC-35 (or an equivalent, like the adapter cables made by PSC) should step down the level for an SMQV. I also turn down the output level at the mixer and at the SMQV input level just to avoid clipping. If it's still hot, you can drop in a Shure A15AS inline pad, which is adjustable 5dB increments from -15db to -25dB. This adapter has saved my butt on a few occasions.

I have run into occasions where a cable was labeled "MC35" but was not wired correctly, and was overloading the xmitter.

If the 302'a outputs are similar to the 442, you may want to have resistors put in your mixer to transmitter cable. Years ago when I first set up my 442 I found that hop headroom was lacking even when mixer output to hop input levels lined up with tone. I consulted with Trew Audio and they developed a set of TA5 cables with inline resistors both for my Lectro and Zaxcom hops. Results were excellent. I don't know enough about electronics engineering to explain this better but apparently the SD outputs need more "resistance" to play well with Lectro and Zaxcom hops.