Boom Pole Grip

sonicparticle

Has anyone tried to replace a boom pole grip? I've got a very much used Rode boom sitting in a corner of my loft which I'm thinking about bringing back to action as a secondary boom. The grip is quite worn out though. Would anyone recommend something else to replace it with? Is it replaceable really?

Not sure what you mean here, since I've never had a Rode pole. Is it some kind of foam grip? On the easy/cheap end of things, I'd say get some tennis racquet grip tape (the stuff that only sticks to itself) and go over it with that. Pics would help, though...

Has anyone tried to replace a boom pole grip? I've got a very much used Rode boom sitting in a corner of my loft which I'm thinking about bringing back to action as a secondary boom. The grip is quite worn out though. Would anyone recommend something else to replace it with? Is it replaceable really?

Motorcycle handgrip.

Not sure what you mean here, since I've never had a Rode pole. Is it some kind of foam grip? On the easy/cheap end of things, I'd say get some tennis racquet grip tape (the stuff that only sticks to itself) and go over it with that. Pics would help, though...

I cover all my poles with the tennis wrap and then cover that with 1.5" black shrink tubing.

What is the purpose of that Eric? Strictly for handling isolation? I wear cotton work gloves and don't get any handling noise on my aluminum pole. I did use a pole a few years back that had a cushy foam grip on the first segment. Seemed cool at the time, but in retrospect, not my thing.

What is the purpose of that Eric? Strictly for handling isolation? I wear cotton work gloves and don't get any handling noise on my aluminum pole. I did use a pole a few years back that had a cushy foam grip on the first segment. Seemed cool at the time, but in retrospect, not my thing.

I guess it protects the soft tennis wrap from whatever. I've never mixed and boomed so I leave the grip dynamics to the boom op or to the c-stand mount for the mic.

Eric

How do your boom op's like it, Eric? I'm just curious because I mostly just run a "naked" pole and wear gloves if I feel like I'm going to be doing a lot of tracking. If its pretty static, I don't worry about gloves. Other than that one time ( I think it was a K&M pole) I've never dealt with a pole that had any covering on it.

How do your boom op's like it, Eric? I'm just curious because I mostly just run a "naked" pole and wear gloves if I feel like I'm going to be doing a lot of tracking. If its pretty static, I don't worry about gloves. Other than that one time ( I think it was a K&M pole) I've never dealt with a pole that had any covering on it.

Since I pretty much use the same op all the time he's used to it.....I think. He seems to want to use his pole most of the time though. I never argue with him about it. What ever it takes to keep him happy. Here's a picture of him being happy even though in this shot he's using my pole.

Eric

P.S. That's a Senn MKH 50 inside the BBG.

P.P.S. I much prefer the pole that was used to create the result in the 2nd picture.

post-22-0-89625500-1338005689.jpg

post-22-0-39616400-1338006215.jpg

Do you guys have a specific preference in gloves?

I never liked the closed cell foam on a pole which I have run into a couple of times. Now I have an old gitzo pole which is covered in some kind of thick latex rubber in back and I swear I have never had any handling noise from it despite it being aluminum. Also a plus for me as most carbon fiber poles are a bit too big to be comfortable in my rather small hands.