Canon 5D III time code

snd.waves

Last summer, I worked on a series where we plugged up Ambient Lockit boxes to the audio input of the 5D. Post was able to read the code from the audio track and sync it to the time of day code on the 788 I was running. So, yes, it is possible. We used timecode slates anyway, just in case. Post appreciated the redundancy.

Interesting.

'I have a 5D3 and it now records proper timecode. I haven't had time to do any testing yet but that's a big step forward over the MkII and should produce a change in the workflow.'

This big step forward was what I was basing my question, but admittedly i assumed this meant an external feed of code was available, jumped the gun so to speak.

I once asked about the workflow of dealing with audio code on this forum and got turned away immediately, seems the process in post is way too much hassle. Will stick to the old single channel wireless senny feed :)

On Wilfred we have been jamming TC from a lockit that I built a padded cable to feed into the audio inputs of the 5D and now we are doing the same into the Nikon bodies.

It works well but get post on board to use audio as a TC source. This is easy but needs to be talked about.

The locket buddy seems like another box velcroed to the camera that we could all do without so I built a cable the does the same thing basically which is to pad down the signal for a hot mic level input. Key was the use of the solderable BNC connector as well as right angle 1/8" Neutriks.

Scott Harber CAS

In the past I've used movie slate and got a cable built to jam my iPhone w the recorder's code and flash the code from the iphone app in front of the camera when starting rolling. It takes a moment to do and completely worthwhile for post. Of course there's that awesome thing pluralize (sp?) for final cut. I'm not convinced of sync boxes from converted audio code. Just a messy post circumstance in my humble opinion.

Snap your fingers in front too should be just fine ( syncing audio is really not that hard if frame rates are matching )

* ducks waiting for shoes thrown

I have a lockitbuddy but have stopped using it as I've replaced it with a TimecodeBuddy system so can now use my iPad and/or iPhone as a digi slate :) treat it like film and don't send any audio to the DSLR. The cameraman is happy with no trailing cables and it removes the potential to use the onboard sound by mistake!

• 11 months later...