Discussion Group may be down at times

Jeff Wexler

I am trying to get my webhost to update the Simple Machines Forum software that runs this whole thing. I don't know when they will get to it. If the forum seems to be down, please DO NOT change anything on your end. I will do my best to have it up and running again smoothly as fast as I can.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Note: we just had a little outage about 10 minutes ago but now everything is back to normal.

When it's down I suddenly realise how good it is - an excellent forum very informative and easy to use. I'm curious about what it costs to run both financially and timewise and who pays for it etc. - a very generous soul or souls as far as I am concerned because of course it costs me nothing.

Thank you for the compliments. The real strength of this Board is the people who are here. The costs, as far as money goes, is minimal: yearly cost of the hosting company, Lunarpages, and that's about it. Except for technical troubles, like we are having now, there is very little daily maintenance needed so it doesn't take that much of my time. It runs itself with the members posting topics and members replying. I always try to visit my group at least once a day, even when I'm working, just to see how things are going. I also like to start interesting topics when (and if) I think of them, and also offers answers to some of the questions others are unable to answer.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

The "look and feel" of this forum may have to change but I think everyone will like the new theme (let's hope). I may or may not change this over some time between now, Wednesday night and tomorrow, so don't be shocked. It should improve certain things but as with any kind of change it may introduce some new problems of its own. You may have to go back into your own personal Profile and change some settings (like whether you like to see oldest or newest posts at the top or bottom, things like that).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

The "look and feel" of this forum may have to change but I think everyone will like the new theme (let's hope).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I have changed over to a new theme and the only thing I think may happen is that some may have trouble logging in. If your username and password are stored by your browser, you may have to delete the cookie named SMFCookie10 and then enter your login and password again.

Sorry for all the hassle but we've had a few Internet fiascos going on here.

-  Jeff Wexler

Hey Jeff, i like the new theme.  Its easy on the eyes.  One question though, on the prior setup you could use the hierarchy too navigate.  It doesn't seem to allow linking with this new theme is there a way to enable it?  It may seem kind of trivial but it was a convenient feature.

jwsound.net > Main Board > Current NEWS & Announcements > Post reply ( Re: Discussion Group may be down at times )

I will look into that. I do see a line of text that shows a tree or directory: jwsound.net> Main Board> Current News...  etc., and this used to be navigable I believe. Is this what you mean? I will try and get it working. All in all, I really like this new look and things seems to function better. The old theme layout was getting funky in its operation and since I am not a coder and don't really understand php there wasn't much I could do about it.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Hey Jeff, i like the new theme.  Its easy on the eyes.  One question though, on the prior setup you could use the hierarchy to navigate.

Hey, Brian, thanks for pointing that out. I have set it properly now and the line of text that represents "where you are" should now be clickable (navigable).

-  JW